Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
january holiday?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mirawin

5,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:15 pm
So i have a question that just randomly popped into my mind that i found i must now know that answer to and seeing as this is a place where so many religions mixed i thought where better to see if there is an answer to my question.
several years back when i was researching different religions i thought i read that there is a holiday in January like afeast day or some such possibly for those who don't celebrate christmas but my memory could be faulty lol. actually i know for a fact that atleast part of my memory is faulty since i thought the holiday was called Michaelmas but when i looked that up turns out its in sept so i know that isn't right. Now there is Candlemas in early feb which i suppose i could be confusing the months and they sound sort of similar. I have tried looking this up on the internet but without a name for the holiday if indeed there is one trying to find the answer is somewhat time consuming and frustrating as i've already spent several hours trying to find out. so i would greatly appreciate any help, thank you in advance for any help you can offer.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 am
http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/ethnic_relig/ethnic.html
January

1 - Emancipation Day (African-American, United States)

1 - Feast of St. Basil (Christian, Orthodox)

1 - Japanese New Year (Japan)

5 - Guru Gobind Singh's Birthday (Sikh)

6 - Epiphany (Christian)

6 - Three Kings' Day (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic)

7 - The Nativity of Jesus Christ (Christian, Orthodox)

13 - Lohri (Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh)

16 - Religious Freedom Day

17 - World Religion Day (Baha'i)

26 - India Republic Day

30 - Tu b'Shvat or Tu B'Shevat* (Jewish, Israel)

Dunno how many of those are actually correct offhand, but there's the first list I found.  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:08 am
Funny. I always celebrated New Years in January.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 am
TeaDidikai
According to that calendar, we should be celebrating it by Turning Japanese. I really think so.

ninja  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 am
Byaggha
TeaDidikai
According to that calendar, we should be celebrating it by Turning Japanese. I really think so.

ninja

I did celebrate New Years with that. ninja
Oh... that wasn't what you meant.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 am
TeaDidikai
I did celebrate New Years with that. ninja
Oh... that wasn't what you meant.
Wasn't it?  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am
Errrr...I've never heard of Lohri in my life Byaggha. Maybe we call it something else. How do you Buddhists celebrate it? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:32 am
True Colours of Destiny
Errrr...I've never heard of Lohri in my life Byaggha. Maybe we call it something else. How do you Buddhists celebrate it? sweatdrop
Don't look at me. I just copy pasted the calendar from that website. I figure it's an Indian cultural festival of some sort, and by extension has been given to all of us whose faith stems from the region/whose faith now lives there.

Upon Wiki-ing, I am mostly right. It's Punjabi. Lohri!  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

mirawin

5,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:26 pm
thanks everyone for your help i must have been thinking of st.basil as thats the only feast day in the list anyway its enough to put my mind to rest and i'll no longer be starring at the ceiling trying to remember what it was instead of sleeping. so thanks again!! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 am
mirawin
thanks everyone for your help i must have been thinking of st.basil as thats the only feast day in the list anyway its enough to put my mind to rest and i'll no longer be starring at the ceiling trying to remember what it was instead of sleeping. so thanks again!! biggrin
Oh... if you want Catholic Saints days... I'll happily put together a list. twisted  

TeaDidikai

mirawin

5,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:19 pm
TeaDidikai
Oh... if you want Catholic Saints days... I'll happily put together a list. twisted
i'm not specifically looking for Catholic holidays it was a general all religions like question as i dont remember which religion i was researching at the time. I'm an anthropologist so i've research/studied a lot of religions, cultures etc so the holiday i am trying to remember could be from just about anywhere lol for all i remember it could be from a dead civilization and isnt even practiced anymore. . that happens sometimes i can get lost in the past and forget that what i'm studying doesn't even exist anymore. but anyway now that you mention Catholic Saints days i'm kind a curious as to when those so if you have the time a list would be great or just send me a link where i can find one. thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm
mirawin
I'm an anthropologist so i've research/studied a lot of religions, cultures etc
Where's your degree from?
Quote:

so the holiday i am trying to remember could be from just about anywhere lol for all i remember it could be from a dead civilization and isnt even practiced anymore. .
Can you at least describe the elements of the holiday?

Quote:
that happens sometimes i can get lost in the past and forget that what i'm studying doesn't even exist anymore. but anyway now that you mention Catholic Saints days i'm kind a curious as to when those so if you have the time a list would be great or just send me a link where i can find one. thanks
I have to put one together. I don't have a premade list.

Can you please, for the sake of those who have dyslexia, put some more effort into your posts and use proper grammar, punctuation and the like?

If we're going to put this effort in for you, this is the least you could do.  

TeaDidikai

mirawin

5,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Where's your degree from?

My undergraduate degree is from MacEwan and my Masters is from the University of Alberta.
TeaDidikai
Quote:

so the holiday i am trying to remember could be from just about anywhere lol for all i remember it could be from a dead civilization and isnt even practiced anymore. .
Can you at least describe the elements of the holiday?

I finally found the answer from another source but thank you for your help all the same. In case you wanted to know it is the Athenian festival of Leneae, a celebration to the God Dionysos in which there was a feast, wine and a theatrical competition. There is no fixed date but it took place in the Ionic month of Lenaion which corresponds to the Attic Gamelion ie January, hense some of my confusion with trying to remember date.
TeaDidikai
Can you please, for the sake of those who have dyslexia, put some more effort into your posts and use proper grammar, punctuation and the like?

I apologize for my bad grammer and punctuation. I often get in a hurry and do not correct my words as i should before posting, in the future I will make the effort to be more clear and concise.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:48 pm
mirawin

My undergraduate degree is from MacEwan and my Masters is from the University of Alberta.
Nice.

Quote:
I apologize for my bad grammer and punctuation. I often get in a hurry and do not correct my words as i should before posting, in the future I will make the effort to be more clear and concise.
Thanks.

Also? Do you still want those Feast Dates?  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
According to some, namely Asatru.org, who I don't put much stock in but they're mostly date-friendly, Thorrablot is two days. Since it coincidentally falls on a Thursday anyways, I'll be doing a blot.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff