Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why do we refuse to believe in God? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:16 pm
Apparantly a devout Christian friend of mine, asked that in a Facebook comment. "Why do people refuse to believe that?"
(the whole thing about God and how he created everyone)

I for one am not certain if there is a God or not, but I highly doubt that there is. I think if there is one, then he wouldn't be as how he is described in the Bible/Torah/Quran.

I ask her: "Why do you refuse to believe what other people believe?"
She has not replied yet, but I hope she does.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:01 pm
Well, I don't believe in God because I never felt that he existed. He's this intangible figure that somebody several thousand years ago, when people still thought that evil spirits soured milk, made up claiming that 'he heard the voice of God' and that 'the hand of God' made him write this moldy old book. What if the dude was just crazy? There's no way to tell, is there?  

BlackAngelDust

MiniSiets

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm
Yeah, basically just ask her "Why do you refuse to believe in Zeus?" and she'll get the idea pretty quickly.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 pm
MiniSiets
Yeah, basically just ask her "Why do you refuse to believe in Zeus?" and she'll get the idea pretty quickly.

Oh lawd, this. THIS.  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:41 pm
To quote Lewis Black: "Well i'd like to have faith... but i have thoughts"
Thats why I don't belive in god, I use my brain. Faith doesn't work if you use logic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 am
It's not that I "refuse" to believe in God, in fact I would like to believe it Him but in the end it has never made sense for me too. I see things through rather pessimistic eyes so it has always sounded like magic-gobble-teh-gook.
*shrugs*  

Ayumila

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 am
Because everything that supposedly "proves" one exists actually disproves one exists ( conflicting texts, disproven scriptures, etc. ) .

Explain why different religions praise more than one god, or why they have different celebrations. If you go back in time and ask the Maya who Zeus was, they'd scratch their heads and shove a sting-ray barb through your genitals.

Really though, it comes down to one simple question "which one is the right one?"

Since logically only one story can be the TRUE story, the "Either they're ALL right or they're ALL wrong" argument led me to believe they're all wrong.
That and the existence of science is derived from actually LOOKING and THINKING at the world around us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 pm
well i do not believe for this ever since I was little the "lord" did alot but brought pain doing it and I do not believe that a man in the sky can make miricles I believe it is all is science most of my friends tell me if I pray I will be saved so I did and it ended up in the "mental" hospital and while I was there I just knew he wasn't real he is just a man like the rest of us who has some power I don't care what people say!  

Imperfect_Elegance

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 pm
Why do I not believe in higher powers....

Well, Creationists are the ones that got me converted and I went from there.
I got tired of these ignorant people always saying " Everything can't come from nothing. Sorry."
I know you can't get anyone to know anything so you have to go with something simple.

" So everything can't come from nothing, but a powerful being that came from nothing can create everything from nothing? "

However, I did meet this one intelligent man who actually gave me a pretty good explanation on how it could be possible that God, not from the Bible, could exist.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 pm
If you ask your friend why he doesn't believe in any other religions, he'll probably say something along the lines of "there's so evidence for Christianity and Jesus Christ. Biblical prophecies that were fulfilled in the New Testament, all the testimonies and Christianity is just so unique."

And... I don't believe in any gods because I do not have enough evidence. I would not like to believe in any gods either. I would like for there to be a god who is uber nice or at least lets me come back from the dead reincarnated. I also want to have a million dollars, and superhero powers. However, just because I want it to be true doesn't make it any more probable.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:38 am
I don't believe in any deities because the universe has been proven to be thoroughly materialist, that is, mind has been proven to be a product of matter (and if you want to go even further, of energy). As such, it is merely impossible for a product of matter to have existed before matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 pm
MiniSiets

Azaloth, or any of Lovecraft's Mythos characters are more believable than the deity('s?) presented in the bible... they also make more sense to me.  

OtakuJeannie

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:51 pm
Captain_Shinzo

However, I did meet this one intelligent man who actually gave me a pretty good explanation on how it could be possible that God, not from the Bible, could exist.

Could you explain?
My eyes are open.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:18 pm
-weighs with hands- Hmmm, total freedom and logical conclusions, not allowed to read demon based fantasy books....I'm going with I love freedom to think for ones self thank you.  

Jester the Nightmare

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 pm
I remember how I used to believe in God it was fun. They'd take you into the back room away from all the adults(No I haven't been molested) and teach "Sunday School" where the only subject taught was how much Jesus loves everybody. Even in our coloring books when it depicted violence everybody had a smile, David was small and smiling with a sling shot in his hand and Goliath had stars swirling around his head but still had a smile...Then I remember when I actually picked up the Bible to read it, I lost my faith when God started being a douche and killing everybody, what happened to that Sunday School crap they always taught us? I didn't remember us talking about David circumcising thousands of dead soldiers for God in Vegetales...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff