Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Hard Polytheism v. Soft-, pan-, etc. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm
Bastemhet
Illiezeulette
I think what I meant by including it was differentiating it between soft polytheism, since maybe it could be interpreted as such? The poles originate from some unknowable One/God/whatsit in which everything was homogenous--no differentiation or subdivisions within it. As such, perhaps one could interpret my cosmology as saying that we are all faces of the One, as a soft polytheist would say that Ares is one face of one God---that because their source is the same and made of different degrees of the same stuff, could just be one expression of a singular big deity, and by worshipping Ares, you worship the one God, who encompasses all other gods.

Or maybe I just don't have a good grasp of what soft polytheism is anymore. Soft polytheism is believing that all gods are one God, correct?

Soft polytheism is the belief that all gods are just aspects of one god. Pantheism is the belief that all gods are part of an overarching immanent god that is equivalent with the universe. If you believe the overarching god is individual, you'd be soft polytheist. If the overarching god is also the universe and everything in it, you would be pantheist.

Huh.

I guess I'm a pantheist? But I believe in gods as they are depicted in their myths--individuals with powers beyond my own, are in charge of what happens to me after death, etc. I'm not sure that really qualifies as pantheism.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:04 am
[urlhttp://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=10990323]Useful thread.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces