Welcome to Gaia! ::

~The Haven For Harry Potter Fanatics~

Back to Guilds

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Dumbledore's Army, Marauders, Magic 

Reply Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics
What decisions in DH made you want to tear your hair out?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:45 pm
I don't mean that JKR killed off your favorite character, so you're upset. I mean things that geniunely didn't make sense to you. Like, a certain way that a character behaved that didn't fit with the rest of their story, or an occurance that you didn't think was plausible.

I'm curious to see what some people come up with.

Also, you can include a character death, but only if the reason you're posting it is because you actually don't get it. If you're just upset about it, don't post it. Like, I love Dobby, but I get why he died and what it did for the story, so I'm not going to post it.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:55 pm
I didn't like Draco's wishy-washy attitude at all. It was so out of character, I think. In the previous books, he'd always been a black and white, this is my path kinda guy, and then after the scene with Dumbledore in HBP, he suddenly became this whiney, confused guy who didn't know what to do and had to act all big and bad when he wasn't. It didn't fit. I'm sorry, I get that he wasn't prepared to be a Death Eater, but the attitude that he had in DH was more than him not being prepared, it was him not wanting to be one at all. And that didn't make sense. Okay, let's say that him being told to kill Dumbledore put things in perspective for him and he realized he wasn't ready. I'm sorry, but Draco in the past was not a coward. He was maybe a bit of a whiney kid, but he was rich, that's typical. He wasn't scared of things, he was just spoiled and didn't want to have to do things. But Draco was always a coniving guy, sneaky. So if he didn't want to be a Death Eater, even if he was scared, he would have been trying to sneak out. And some people, when I've talked about this, have pointed out the incident in the Forbidden Forest in SS, and called him a chicken. He was scared, but he didn't run until there was a real threat. And he was 11. What would you have done? Harry is probably the only student at that entire school who would have stood there like that. And since he ran when there was a real threat at age 11, doesn't it stand to reason that he would try to get away from the Death Eaters, too? He stuck around until things got tough, and then, he should have gone off and tried to get away.

I'm not saying that he should have become a good guy, I'm just saying that his attitude in DH was a little too much like Wormtail's, and I really don't think that it fit.  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Princess of Rhymes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:12 pm
I did not like some of the deaths in general. When you build a strong emotional connection with a character because of the way they are written and they're just suddenly offed, it really makes the reading jarring at times. (I felt that way about Lupin and Tonks, but also very much Hedwig. I mean what was the point? Ok I get it was to shock and set the tone but really...why the owl crying ). I also did not understand Lupin's attitude AT. ALL. Throughout the books, even in flash backs he's the more level headed and reasonably. I understand that the stress he's under is considerable (werewolf, newly wed, father, what have you). But that he randomly decided to leave struck me as very out of character. o_O And then to want to run off with Harry for an adventure, made me go WTF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 am
One of things I didn't like about Deathly Hallows was the whole thing with Lupin wanting to leave Tonks while she's pregnant and go on the adventure with the trio. I mean, I get that Lupin was afraid that the child might be like him, and he was also ashamed of it, but it just goes against everything that we've seen him do and have learned about him throughout the series. I mean, I love Lupin and everything, but that one part just went against everything I thought was true about Lupin. Although he did redeem himself when he went back to Tonks and the baby and everything.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

turayza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:07 pm
Mia: Omg, me too! Draco all of a sudden turned indecisive. He was certainly a stuck up prat because of his father's position, but that personality had to go a little deeper than depending completely upon Lucius' reputation. Though I suppose having a father sent to Azkaban and meeting the Dark Lord might change up your perspective on life quite a bit.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:51 pm
I understood why Draco changed a bit. In HBP the Dark Lord threatened to kill Draco's family if Draco didn't kill Dumbledore, which everyone (Draco, Voldemort, etcetera) knew would be IMPOSSIBLE for Draco to do. The fact that Voldemort was only giving Draco one chance to save his family from being murdered, and that it was a chance that Voldemort gave knowing full well that Draco couldn't accomplish it, made Draco realise that Voldemort wasn't the great bloke that Lucius always told Draco that he was. Draco might still be okay with Dark Magic (we don't find out if he is or not), but he doesn't support Voldemort in particular, which is reasonable considering the impossible ultimatum he gave Draco.

I agree that Remus seemed out of character in DH, which annoyed me since he's my favourite character. When he tried to convince the Trio to let him accompany them, I scratched my head and said, "What?" But then I thought about it and realised one of Remus' worst fears is to infect someone with lycanthropy, and if he'd done that to his own future child...Well, he couldn't bear to be around to watch it. I understand that. It isn't an excuse for abandoning your family, but I understand it. He went back in the end, though!

The decision that I hated was killing Remus and Tonks. JKR only did it to show that parents die in wars (she decided not to kill Arthur, so she had to kill other parents). Harry's parents were certainly enough to prove that! Her choice to kill them was completely unnecessary. Also, neither of them got a death scene. EVERYONE from Remus' generation (James, Lily, Sirius, Severus, Wormtail) got a death scene; he deserved one too.

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

ZackyBakerVengeance

Liberal Entrepreneur

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
I never understood why snape acted like he hated harry if he wanted to protect him. Yah he loved lilly......but I know.....then he died and told harry all the stuff....  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:32 pm
Snape didn't really want to protect Harry. I mean, he only did it out of obligation to Lily--but at the same time, Harry looked like James (everyone told him that) and Harry's mere existence was a constant reminder that James had gotten Lily.  

turayza

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:41 pm
I agree with Turayza. The only reason that Snape protected Harry was for Lily. Snape acted like he hated Harry because of his resemblance towards James. He looked like James, so Snape therefore saw James (even though Harry was more like his mother when it came to his dispostion and personality). Harry looking like James was a constant reminder of the fact that like Turayza said, Lily chose James in the end, and it also reminded him of the all the pain and suffering and such that James and Sirius had caused for him back when they were in school. I mean, they were always picking on him and teasing him and everything, so when he saw Harry, he would see James, and it would remind him of things that he would rather forget.

Minerva: I agree with you. I mean, Remus' attitude did bug me, but when you think about, there was some reasoning behind it. And he did go back in the end and made Harry the godfather of Teddy. I also agree with you that they both deserved a death scene. I mean, in the book you see the Weasley family all huddled around Fred, and then it's like, Oh the bodies of Tonks and Remus are lying right by Fred. JKR just kind of skimmed over their deaths, like they weren't important or anything. That bugged me. Well actually, just their deaths in general bugged me. She should have let at least one of them live in my opinon.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 am
When Draco Malfoy was proud and haughty of his father's influence and wealth, he was a naive boy trying to impress his parents and live up to the Malfoy name. I think that in the sixth book, when he was given the mission, he grew up a bit and realized being a Death Eater was not something he really wanted to do. Also, one can hardly say that Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy are suitable parents, especially with their connection to the Dark Lord in the first war. They knew that sometime, the second war would come but they still coddled him, leaving him defenseless when the war came.

I agree with Minerva the Bookwyrm. Remus know what it's like to be a werewolf. He was unemployed, and if it wasn't for Dumbledore, he wouldn't even have gotten an education. Remus thought that there was a chance that lycanthropy could be genetic and didn't want to be around to watch his own child get the same treatment.

Didn't Hermione annoy anyone? Hermione talks wayyy too much. She made me want to rip my hair out, especially when she refused to believe the Deathly Hallows could be a real thing.

the-argonaut

Profitable Fatcat

AsianSpazz7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:08 pm
I feel like Remus' ditching of Tonks was understandable. I mean it took him FOREVER to even agree to being with Tonks, obviously that fear was huge. He panicked, I mean dating and marrying as a werewolf is "unacceptable" to society, having a child with a werewolf must've REALLY panicked him. I also feel like Remus must've died, I mean the story wouldn't have been complete if not everyone of the marauders died sacrificing themselves for Harry. I felt that it was fit, but that Remus and Tonks deserved a much more memorable death. Also, the naming the children after important people was understandable but no offense but was Luna THAT important to them, I'd honestly think Neville more than Luna. I think a middle name for all of them would've been enough, James Sirius Potter was great but how about -first name- Albus/Serverus/Lily Potter instead.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 pm
I hope you will not hate me for this, but when I read "Epilogue-19 years later" I was like: "Why, why, WHY did she decide to write an epilogue????" I think it would have been better if the book had ended just after the last chapter, because the epilogue isn't of any importance for the actual action and I thought that was a little toooooooooooo much...  

EvelynPrince

Flarityxx18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:04 am
Evelyn, I have to agree with you. Yes, the epilogue was cute and kind of wrapped everything up, but it didn't have any reference to the story or the meaning of the book at all.

Most of the things I hated were the marriages in the end. I hated George marrying Angelina. She was FRED'S girlfriend. I don't think it's really respectful of him to marry his late twin brother's girlfriend. I also didn't really like that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all married their best friends. It was just kind of predictable, that they would all have a perfect ending, being related to all the people they grew up with. Don't get me wrong, I love Ron and Hermione together, but I think it's just kind of...off, I guess.

I also didn't like Lupin and Tonks getting married, having Teddy, and then dying right away. That's not fair to him. I agree with Minerva, Harry's parents were enough to show that parents do die in battle. If JK Rowling was going to kill anyone's parents, she should've killed Draco's. Two less Death Eaters to worry about.

I didn't really like the names of Harry's kids either. I like that he wanted to respect his most loved people after they died, but he could've come up with something a little more creative and his own. I mean, Albus Severus? Snape didn't even like him, he only loved his mom. Lily Luna? I've never heard of anyone bringing down a girl's name, to be perfectly honest. James Sirius? Okay, let's think about this for a second. Harry's father was a really mean person when he was younger, picking on Snape and everything. Yeah, he changed, but I would've thought that after Harry saw into Snape's mind in Order of the Phoenix that he would lose all respect for his dad. I think Sirius should've been his first name. At least he was a good person when you got down to it, even though he was also part of the pranking in the Maurader's age.

Also Ron's attitude didn't fly well with me. I hated how he was always complaining and being all pessimistic and everything. Then he just left right in the middle of it all, putting Hermione through all that pain, and not even caring that he left his best friends in the middle of the search for things that will help them kill Voldemort. Then he just came back randomly and decided to take all the glory for the things Harry and Hermione did. I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sound like a brave, loyal friend to me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am
I didn't like Xenophilis Lovegood. He was too crazy. And then he tried to turn in Harry to get Luna back. I mean, I know he loved Luna more than anything,but you'd think he of all people would be able to see the bigger picture.  

LooKat

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff