View Results

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:55 pm
My boyfriend and I had a little quibble about this topic last night. He was saying that if he ever had kids, he would never let them believe in Santa Claus, because it would change their view of Christmas, and make them think that Christmas was as much or more about Santa and presents as it was about Jesus. I think it doesn't matter. It's fiction, and it's something they'll grow out of anyway. What's wrong with letting them have a little fun, right? Besides, they'll be the only kids who have no idea who Santa is and they'll feel left out. What do you guys thinks?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:04 pm
I see nothing wrong with Santa. He's a jolly old fat guy who loves giving away free stuff! mrgreen

It's added fun for little kids. In my family we've never lost sight of what Christmas is really about anyway. We watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and the story of Jesus' birth. And Mom got a really cool advent calendar this year. ^^ 'Tis a Nativity scene.

Speaking of Nativity scenes, I should set ours up soon.... -wanders off pondering-

JesusFreakGurl

rftkfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:28 pm
Santa is fun. The place I work take up money every year to play santa to children who will not have a christmas. Santa is the way to make some kids happy. I like doing it and will continue. The families we do this for struggle from day to day. Santa brings happiness to one day a year.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:29 pm
I don't see what's wrong with santa claus. My high school physics teacher said he'll never let his son believe in santa, not because of Jesus, but because santa would have to travel faster than the speed of light in order to get to every house in the world in one night. And it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. But yeah, I love santa claus. Even though I don't believe anymore, it's still fun for me to talk about it with my neices who do believe. While Christians observe Christmas as the day of Jesus's birth, Easter is a more important holiday. Easter is the day that basically started Christianity. (even though the easter bunny is fun, too....that's a different story). If it weren't for that day, then Christianity may never have become as big as it is now. "The angel said to the women, 'Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay,'."~Matthew 28:5-6. These two verses pretty much sum up why Christianity didn't die out.  

Curium

knivesl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:32 pm
"santa clause" is a make belive character who who can often make people lose focus of the true meaning of christmas...the general idea is not bad he is a generous happy man in red and is not bad for children... but children must also know that he isnt real... the man that people think Santa represents is St. Nicholas
who was a obviosly a goodly man yes i said goodly not Godly because i cant judge the man... the title Saint wasnt just given to anyone...

Personally i belive that santa clause is ok but it is important not to lead your kids in the wrong direction... it is important for kids to know that presents arent delivered by santa however santa is a man that hangs out at malls and such spreading joy and making people smile... i still smile when i see that man in red and im 21

the song Santa clause is coming to town is a good song... because it acknowladges that Santa knows that we are Gods children

so "Santa" as a man that dilivers presents to millions of people sliding down chimneys...= not good

Santa as a man that spreads cheer...= ok i guess  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:51 pm
What?

You mean Santa isn't real?

I feel so deceived!

crying crying crying crying crying  

ioioouiouiouio

Rochin Mall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:55 pm
I think that there is nothing wrong with telling children about Santa Clouse it is a way of making children enjoy thier time while they are children be happy before they enter adult hood.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:44 pm
I really dont find anything wrong with children believeing in him , it just something that gets the kids more excited about the holidays , but also at the same time they should know the real reason for christmas and tell them about how special it is , and for the gifts we can explaine it to them that santa gave it to them because it is JESUS's birthday ? so we can try to lead them to the right meaning of christmas but at the same time having little fun with the classical christmas stories about this jolly man xp  

XxArikaxX

Woodlock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:43 am
I find it interesting that so many people with christian-sounding avvie names don't seem to have any scripture to back up their opinions!

Santa is a secular god to replace Jesus. Jesus has angels, Santa has elves. Jesus has heaven, Santa has the north pole (both places of perfect happiness). Jesus is omnipresent, seeing everything, Santa is omnipresent, seeing everything. Jesus keeps books on good deeds and bad deeds, Santa keeps books on good deeds and bad deeds. And the list goes on and on. They divert, however, on the matter of sin. How many parents say "If you don't be good, Jesus won't let you into heaven!"? None that I know, because heaven isn't based on works of our hands (Ephesians 2:8-9). On the other hand, how many parents say "If you're not good, Santa will not bring you any toys"? So then, who is really the focus of the child's life? Who does the child seek to please? Jesus, because it is the right and moral thing to do? No. Santa, because he's got the goodies. And don't feed me any garbage about seperating religion from this. If all they hear is how santa's not gonna give them anything, that's where their focus and love and affection is(Matthew 6:21). If they're concerned about getting presents, Jesus is NOT the one to please. Basically, Santa is a god of works. You earn your way into his good graces. This is not a biblical message.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:09 am
Wow ... that's a really good point. I never thought of it that way. eek  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Woodlock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:13 am
It's truly amazing how much of this stuff people ignore simply because they want to justify the 'fun things' the world does, with no regard to their, or their children's, spiritual life.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 am
Personally, I would try my best to make sure my kids understood that Jesus comes first always, and then Santa. But your point about who children are going to try to please makes alot of sense. I would still feel bad denying my kids Santa though. confused  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Woodlock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:31 am
What does it accomplish though? I know many kids that use it as a witnessing tool, and even feel cool that they know something none of their peers know. I also know kids that can't figure out why their friends' parents would lie to them about it, and learn that lying is okay as long as people are happy. I also know kids that question God's existance for the same reason...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:37 am
When I was growing up I believed in Santa claus for a very long time, I thought he was an angel sent by Jesus.

Now I believe in Jesus and I know he is there, but my poor brother found out that santa wasn't true, he thought that Jesus wasn't either...

He believes in Jesus now, its just really confusing with kids.

Now some kids believe hes only a t.v. thing, just a fun lil story.
But if I had kids, I would tell them the truth, that santa is just a fun lil story but Jesus isn't, hes real becaues lil kids get this mixed up alot I think.

Queen Cranberry

ScarletCape

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 am
I see nothing wrong with kids believing in Santa Claus. But we must never forget the real reason we celebrate Christmas. We must remember we are celebrating Christ's birth and what that means to Christians. Santa Claus is a pagan thing. Actually he is formally known as St. Nicholas. He is a patron saint. He is a patron saint of sailors, travelors,bakers, merchants, and especially children. So, no he isn't the devil. Satan does however tempt us to forget about why we celebrate Christmas and to get greedy. Anyway that's my take.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff