Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
is this guild still claiming civil and tolerant discussions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CH1YO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
That's why I put within society as well. Within the different countries, each has a different societal view than our own. With older people, they think lying is bad and is immoral. With teenagers and young adults, we think lying is okay as long as no one gets hurt. We're taught to lie to our friends in order to preserve our friendships.

Though I believe in telling my friends the truth. If you're being an idiot, I will tell you that. However I will only lie to those I fear...

Lying, like all defence mechanisms, is inherently negative. It must be aspired against.

So too vulgarity.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 pm
CH1YO
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
That's why I put within society as well. Within the different countries, each has a different societal view than our own. With older people, they think lying is bad and is immoral. With teenagers and young adults, we think lying is okay as long as no one gets hurt. We're taught to lie to our friends in order to preserve our friendships.

Though I believe in telling my friends the truth. If you're being an idiot, I will tell you that. However I will only lie to those I fear...

Lying, like all defence mechanisms, is inherently negative. It must be aspired against.

So too vulgarity.
So, you've never, ever, EVER lied. Wow, I find that to be dishonest. Your holier than though attitude is getting obnoxious. I see more honesty in her admission than your condescension.  

PrometheanSet

CH1YO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:35 pm
PrometheanSet
CH1YO
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden

So too vulgarity.

So, you've never, ever, EVER lied.

What a charming conclusion.

PrometheanSet
Wow, I find that to be dishonest.

Why would you find your own claim, or faultless honesty, dishonest?

PrometheanSet
Your holier than though attitude is getting obnoxious.

Boxer
I must work harder!

PrometheanSet
I see more honesty in her admission than your condescension.

There can be no honesty without disclosure. I would sooner educate and inform than wax lyrical of my discharges.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 am
CH1YO

There can be no honesty without disclosure. I would sooner educate and inform than wax lyrical of my discharges.
Exactly - what have you disclosed?

And my "charming conclusion" that you brush off... by the definition of liar as "someone who tells lies", you underhandedly admit that you are a liar. That takes away your position to judge.

I'm a liar- but I'm setting up an argument right now, I'm to busy for lies. The only thing here to cast judgment about is - being judgmental! Which it seems you started CH1YO. :p  

PrometheanSet

CH1YO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 pm
PrometheanSet
CH1YO

Exactly - what have you disclosed?

And my "charming conclusion" that you brush off... by the definition of liar as "someone who tells lies", you underhandedly admit that you are a liar. That takes away your position to judge.

I'm a liar- but I'm setting up an argument right now, I'm to busy for lies. The only thing here to cast judgment about is - being judgmental! Which it seems you started CH1YO. :p

A lot or a little, depending upon the reader.

Not at all- it takes one to know one.

I didn't start the art- merely perfected it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 am
Shiori Miko
Nines19
Shiori Miko
Ever since I read that book series, I don't believe in right and wrong. Everyone believes they're right, even murderers.

I disagree. Some people know very well that what they're doing is wrong - in some cases, that's the entire thrill of it.

I personally would not advise getting beliefs about reality and how real people operate from fiction books (fantasy fiction, no less), but maybe that's just me.

Was there people who believed the Holocaust was a good thing? Yep. They were getting rid of the "infestation." Same with Rwanada "exterimating the cockroaches" and the in Afganistan with the "flat-nosed" Hazaras.

Okay. Did I say there wasn't? No.

Does that mean that EVERYONE doing something percieved as wrong thinks that what they're doing is right? No.
I myself can be used as an example. When I was younger, my mom used to frequent a store that could be described as "lightly new-age". She would bring my sister and me along with her, and often also my gram and my aunt. The store sold little stones of various types; you know, tiger's eye, pyrite, jasper, stuff like that. My sister, and later I myself, would take money from my mother's room when she wasn't home, and use it to buy ourselves a few little stones when we would go to the shop.
We both knew that stealing like we were was wrong, and wasn't justified in any way. We both still did it.  

Nines19

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 am
Nines19
Shiori Miko
Nines19
Shiori Miko
Ever since I read that book series, I don't believe in right and wrong. Everyone believes they're right, even murderers.

I disagree. Some people know very well that what they're doing is wrong - in some cases, that's the entire thrill of it.

I personally would not advise getting beliefs about reality and how real people operate from fiction books (fantasy fiction, no less), but maybe that's just me.

Was there people who believed the Holocaust was a good thing? Yep. They were getting rid of the "infestation." Same with Rwanada "exterimating the cockroaches" and the in Afganistan with the "flat-nosed" Hazaras.

Does that mean that EVERYONE doing something percieved as wrong thinks that what they're doing is right? No.
I myself can be used as an example. When I was younger, my mom used to frequent a store that could be described as "lightly new-age". She would bring my sister and me along with her, and often also my gram and my aunt. The store sold little stones of various types; you know, tiger's eye, pyrite, jasper, stuff like that. My sister, and later I myself, would take money from my mother's room when she wasn't home, and use it to buy ourselves a few little stones when we would go to the shop.
We both knew that stealing like we were was wrong, and wasn't justified in any way. We both still did it.
There's a difference though. In the examples Shiori provided, the leaders of the countries who did use genocide as a means of actions didn't think what they were doing was wrong. They thought they were helping their people. They thought it was the best course of action, as did their people. Within their culture or countries it was right. But for outsiders it was looked to as wrong. That's what Shiori is saying.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:32 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Nines19
Shiori Miko
Nines19
Shiori Miko

There's a difference though. In the examples Shiori provided, the leaders of the countries who did use genocide as a means of actions didn't think what they were doing was wrong. They thought they were helping their people. They thought it was the best course of action, as did their people. Within their culture or countries it was right. But for outsiders it was looked to as wrong. That's what Shiori is saying.

But that has nothing to do with either what I posted that she responded to or her original claim that I was contesting.  

Nines19

Shiori Miko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:18 pm
Nines19
Shiori Miko
Nines19
Shiori Miko
I disagree. Some people know very well that what they're doing is wrong - in some cases, that's the entire thrill of it.I personally would not advise getting beliefs about reality and how real people operate from fiction books (fantasy fiction, no less), but maybe that's just me.
Okay. Did I say there wasn't? No.Does that mean that EVERYONE doing something percieved as wrong thinks that what they're doing is right? No. I myself can be used as an example. When I was younger, my mom used to frequent a store that could be described as "lightly new-age". She would bring my sister and me along with her, and often also my gram and my aunt. The store sold little stones of various types; you know, tiger's eye, pyrite, jasper, stuff like that. My sister, and later I myself, would take money from my mother's room when she wasn't home, and use it to buy ourselves a few little stones when we would go to the shop. We both knew that stealing like we were was wrong, and wasn't justified in any way. We both still did it.

Infestation.
Cockroaches.

I included those words for a reason. Let's say you've killed a bee. "It could've stung me!" The leaders ordered people killed. "They were ruining our country." To them, it was the same thing.

And when I say "everyone believes they're right", I mean in their mind. Think of people who think "God does exist", to them it's right. I think "God doesn't exist", to me this is right.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:27 am
Shiori Miko
And when I say "everyone believes they're right", I mean in their mind. Think of people who think "God does exist", to them it's right. I think "God doesn't exist", to me this is right.

Not everyone believes that they are right, though. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
I have given evidence of my position. Now if you wish to counter it, disprove my story, disprove that I do not always think I am right, and prove that every single other human on the face of the planet always believes they are right.
Otherwise, stop claiming such. You are wrong.  

Nines19

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:22 am
Nines19
Shiori Miko

Not everyone believes that they are right, though. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
I have given evidence of my position. Now if you wish to counter it, disprove my story, disprove that I do not always think I am right, and prove that every single other human on the face of the planet always believes they are right.
Except your story isn't relevant to what Shiori is talking about. There's a difference between what she's talking about and what you're talking about.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:38 pm
heart In a way, I think it's very good that we are continuing like this. Seriousy, think about it. We are all joining together and sharing our thoughts, beliefs, references, values, etc. And we dispute much amongst one another. But amidst all this discussion, it becomes more clear what everyone is enduring and what they have experienced and gone through. It is doing much to broaden my own understanding, and as such, I am thankful for it. ^_^ heart  

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:09 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Nines19
Shiori Miko

Except your story isn't relevant to what Shiori is talking about. There's a difference between what she's talking about and what you're talking about.

Her original statement was
Shiori Miko
Everyone believes they're right, even murderers.

I contested that not everyone believes they are right. That some people know they are wrong, and do wrong things anyway. I presented the story of me, doing something that I know is wrong, not believing it was right, but doing it anyway, as evidence for my position. How exactly does it have nothing to do with what she's saying? She keeps sidetracking and wants to talk only about people who commit genocide. I am not talking only about people who commit genocide. She said "Everyone X". I am part of everyone and I do not X. Therefore my story is very relevant, unless you would like to demonstrate how it is not?  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff