Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
is this guild still claiming civil and tolerant discussions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
In Medias Res IV
Violet Song jat Shariff
In Medias Res IV

I'm just honest about it because I don't give a s**t anymore.

INORITE? I am wearing a t-shirt in my room and I feel sooo uncomfortable

I have to admit I am starting to look at other women and frown upon them for wearing such revealing clothes. I'm horrible D:

LOL I dress comfortably in when I'm home because -hey- it's my place.

I sometimes do that too...but only if it's like, super-short shorts or if there are titties hanging out all over the place. Even then I don't think it's a "Oh look at how unmodestly you dress!" but more so "Oh geeze, how can that be comfortable??"

Exactly!! I see girls with literally just a bra on and an unzipped sweater when I am at work... I.. don't understand it.

I couldn't do it.

I feel soooo happy and have immediate respect for Muslim women when I see them though. gonk

Oh I haven't seen anything to that degree.
I just think "Ya know, if you have like E-cup boobs, going braless under a strapless shirt might not be such a good idea >.> " I mean on one hand I can appreciate and am glad that they enjoy their bodies. On the other hand...yea.

I wish the Muslim women in my area weren't so...closed off. The ones I see that come into our store, they almost act like it's painful being out and about. Although now that Ramadan is over hopefully it'll look up smile

The muslim women I meet are tourists and have complete control over their husbands. It's fun watching them get what they want. What a way to ruin stereotypes.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 pm
Chieftain Twilight
Violet Song jat Shariff
Chieftain Twilight
i am edgy. i am being rude. i appologize. but i do not like when people tell m straight out that i am definately wrong about something that i have researched for years, put together and compared and crossreferenced and experienced for myself.

But would you really rather believe in something that can be demonstrated as incorrect? What would you hope to gain from that? And, how can you in good conscience claim to worship an entity when all related lore and myth contradicts everything you say about the entity?
Also, quality of materials studied is very important. You could study SRW for decades and still be pretty far off on things.

no, not ALL myth about her contradicts it, because i am relaying to you what i have read in Myths and history, and experienced myself.

What myths are not contradictory?

Also, what of the myths and lore have you read?  

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:25 pm
Chieftain Twilight
CuAnnan
Chieftain Twilight
i have researched for years, put together and compared and crossreferenced and experienced for myself.

You haven't though.
You've done no research.
The fact that the Morrígan isn't a Goddess isn't some obscure piece of esoteric knowledge. It's basic 101 stuff. Like knowing that the Dagda isn't the Dagda's name.

Chieftain Twilight
http://www.crystalinks.com/celts.html

I see your shitty internet source and raise you an academic language tree
link

who in HELL are you to tell me i havn't researched? evil ******** you, i did my work, i have spent mor etime on teh web and nos ein the books about these topics than i have spending any time among people in the past 2 years! you have not been in my shoes, you have not seen wha i have done, you have nothing but your own opinion to argue me! i have done research. everything i have talked about and presented as my belief was researched!

So, would you say your researching skills are mediocre or poor?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 pm
In Medias Res IV
Chieftain Twilight
i am edgy. i am being rude. i appologize. but i do not like when people tell m straight out that i am definately wrong about something that i have researched for years, put together and compared and crossreferenced and experienced for myself. i see no opening in any of those statements against my beliefs to explain myself. there ar epoints here it is being disagreed without citations, i guess that is a fault on both ends. but when i say that the Gaelics and Italians are DIRECTLY descended from the Indo-European group, i mean to say that they are both one step down from Indo-Europeans. i will show you.

This chart does not say that Italians and Gaelics are brothers or whatever you called us.

Tacitus doesn't have nice things to say about anyone in Britannia.

on this i se eyou are right. i have not looked at this in a while and became mistaken. teh Gaelics are descendent of teh Celts, who are the genetic "brothers" of teh Itallians.

but now you see, this contradicts the origions of Mother's worship. because she was a Faerie Queen among the Tuatha.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 pm
In Medias Res IV

The muslim women I meet are tourists and have complete control over their husbands. It's fun watching them get what they want. What a way to ruin stereotypes.

LOL I haven't seen that yet xd That would indeed be funny!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 pm
In Medias Res IV
Chieftain Twilight
CuAnnan
Chieftain Twilight
i have researched for years, put together and compared and crossreferenced and experienced for myself.

You haven't though.
You've done no research.
The fact that the Morrígan isn't a Goddess isn't some obscure piece of esoteric knowledge. It's basic 101 stuff. Like knowing that the Dagda isn't the Dagda's name.

Chieftain Twilight

I see your shitty internet source and raise you an academic language tree
link

who in HELL are you to tell me i havn't researched? evil ******** you, i did my work, i have spent mor etime on teh web and nos ein the books about these topics than i have spending any time among people in the past 2 years! you have not been in my shoes, you have not seen wha i have done, you have nothing but your own opinion to argue me! i have done research. everything i have talked about and presented as my belief was researched!

So, would you say your researching skills are mediocre or poor?

this is what i was talking about earlier! you guys are assuming that you are more knowledgeble than i, simply because we don't have the same beliefs. that i somehow have no credibility, but all of you do. ******** this! it's bullshit!  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Chieftain Twilight
as for Morrighan, i call her that for simplicity, and Mother is the nam ei prefer to cal her by.

the Morrighan is a TRIPLE aspect goddess by the way, not four goddessess that are collective known by a "title". there is an awful lot of misinformation on the web about her though, so i gues sthere is no way to prove who is right or wrong about her.

A general rule of thumb for us is to ask the people who actually worship her/them. So we rely on Cu's massively superior knowledge on the subject.

There is massive misinformation in books, too. That's why we say "hey Cu, how much does this website/book suck?" and he says "this is rape of my culture" and then we eschew further perusal of said source.

Quote:
the three aspects of her are worshipped individually, but she is also worshipped as her whole self in some cases. such as my own. stare

What Cu is saying, as I understand it, is that there are no "three aspects of her". There are three (or four) separate goddesses who have at one time been referred to by the title. Smooshing these goddesses together as if they were actually one goddess seems a bit rude.

Quote:
and the DRuid debate is one that i am just done with, realy. her and i have both decided that people can hate all they want, she is a Druid and she is proud to follow those practices.

You really need to get past this "people who disagree with me are haters" thing. Because they're not. They're honestly upset at the rape and desecration of the Celtic cultures. If she really doesn't care that she's a cultural rapist, then that's her business.

Additionally, "those practices" are not Druidic practices. They're her practices and that's great and wonderful and she can be as proud of them as she likes, but applying the term "druid" to them really degrades those practices by associating them with cultural rape.

Quote:
the information that was passed down from Druid to Druid has survived and is available to her, and she attains it, never stopping her studies. don't consider her one if you don't want to, but we call it as we see it.

No. It hasn't survived. Understand that this is a terrible thing, and lamentable - had it survived, somehow, that would be great.... although there still would be no druids, probably, because there is no longer a place for them in Celtic societies. It's a social role and a title, not a name for a spirituality.

She is either lying to you, or has been lied to herself. Were I you, I would discover which it was fairly quickly.  
Chieftain Twilight
In Medias Res IV
Chieftain Twilight
i am edgy. i am being rude. i appologize. but i do not like when people tell m straight out that i am definately wrong about something that i have researched for years, put together and compared and crossreferenced and experienced for myself. i see no opening in any of those statements against my beliefs to explain myself. there ar epoints here it is being disagreed without citations, i guess that is a fault on both ends. but when i say that the Gaelics and Italians are DIRECTLY descended from the Indo-European group, i mean to say that they are both one step down from Indo-Europeans. i will show you.

This chart does not say that Italians and Gaelics are brothers or whatever you called us.

Tacitus doesn't have nice things to say about anyone in Britannia.

on this i se eyou are right. i have not looked at this in a while and became mistaken. teh Gaelics are descendent of teh Celts, who are the genetic "brothers" of teh Itallians.

but now you see, this contradicts the origions of Mother's worship. because she was a Faerie Queen among the Tuatha.

I am not a genetic brother of a celt!

I don't look ANYTHING like a celt. I am of the Mediterranean peoples!  

In Medias Res IV

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Chieftain Twilight
as for Morrighan, i call her that for simplicity, and Mother is the nam ei prefer to cal her by.

the Morrighan is a TRIPLE aspect goddess by the way, not four goddessess that are collective known by a "title". there is an awful lot of misinformation on the web about her though, so i gues sthere is no way to prove who is right or wrong about her.

A general rule of thumb for us is to ask the people who actually worship her/them. So we rely on Cu's massively superior knowledge on the subject.

There is massive misinformation in books, too. That's why we say "hey Cu, how much does this website/book suck?" and he says "this is rape of my culture" and then we eschew further perusal of said source.

Quote:
the three aspects of her are worshipped individually, but she is also worshipped as her whole self in some cases. such as my own. stare

What Cu is saying, as I understand it, is that there are no "three aspects of her". There are three (or four) separate goddesses who have at one time been referred to by the title. Smooshing these goddesses together as if they were actually one goddess seems a bit rude.

Quote:
and the DRuid debate is one that i am just done with, realy. her and i have both decided that people can hate all they want, she is a Druid and she is proud to follow those practices.

You really need to get past this "people who disagree with me are haters" thing. Because they're not. They're honestly upset at the rape and desecration of the Celtic cultures. If she really doesn't care that she's a cultural rapist, then that's her business.

Additionally, "those practices" are not Druidic practices. They're her practices and that's great and wonderful and she can be as proud of them as she likes, but applying the term "druid" to them really degrades those practices by associating them with cultural rape.

Quote:
the information that was passed down from Druid to Druid has survived and is available to her, and she attains it, never stopping her studies. don't consider her one if you don't want to, but we call it as we see it.

No. It hasn't survived. Understand that this is a terrible thing, and lamentable - had it survived, somehow, that would be great.... although there still would be no druids, probably, because there is no longer a place for them in Celtic societies. It's a social role and a title, not a name for a spirituality.

She is either lying to you, or has been lied to herself. Were I you, I would discover which it was fairly quickly.

I AM SOMEONE WHO WORSHIPS HER!! FOR ******** SAKE, HOW DO I HAVE ANY LESS CREDIBILITY THEN THE NEXT PERSON!??  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 pm
Chieftain Twilight

this is what i was talking about earlier! you guys are assuming that you are more knowledgeble than i, simply because we don't have the same beliefs. that i somehow have no credibility, but all of you do. ******** this! it's bullshit!

IMR is a Classicist. She is studying ancient cultures. She knows what is good, proper, scholastic research and what is shitty, off-handed research.

It simply isn't "Oh we don't agree with Twilight." If it were just that, we wouldn't have bothered with you this long.  

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Chieftain Twilight

IMR is a Classicist. She is studying ancient cultures. She knows what is good, proper, scholastic research and what is shitty, off-handed research.

It simply isn't "Oh we don't agree with Twilight." If it were just that, we wouldn't have bothered with you this long.

Exactly, and wanna know how I learned what is good research and what is bad research? Falling on my a** while trying to bullshit my professors.

It's okay, kid, we all do it. It's better that you learn now than later. We're just trying to help you out.

BTW Violet... my Greek civ prof refuses to answer my questions... uh, this is the worst class I have ever ever had. He tried to tell us that HOMER is a VALID AND PROVEN SOURCE...and that the slaying of the minotaur ACTUALLY happened.

As did conferences with Zeus.  
Chieftain Twilight
I AM SOMEONE WHO WORSHIPS HER!! FOR ******** SAKE, HOW DO I HAVE ANY LESS CREDIBILITY THEN THE NEXT PERSON!??

Becauser we have already established that you are not a person who worships her, by virtue of you not being of the Gael.

I assume, as you have researched, that you are aware of the geas she swore? You know its import? Did it not trouble you greatly that she would have broken that oath for you? Did it not give you pause to think perhaps this entity was not who she claimed to be?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
Chieftain Twilight

The quality of your research and the materials you have been learning out of.

I worship Nordic gods. But someone had better shoot me when I start to claim that since I worship god/dess X, that I am more credible than even the Eddas.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 pm
ugh. look, i'm going to bed, i'm gonna calm down, and discuss this later when i'm not suffering from my seasonal aggression.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 pm
Chieftain Twilight

I see your crappy internet citation and raise you the actual texts
The Book of Leinster

1230] {MS folio 10b} Badb is Macha mét indbais
Morrígan. Fotla felbais.

Cite

The Book of Invasions

Danand [Ana, Anand, Anann, Dana, Danann, Danu, Donand, Donann, Great Queen, Mor-rigu, Morrigan]

Cite

NOWHERE in the texts of the Gael is the Morrigan referred to as a Triple Goddess. Every time the phrase is used, it is "Blah, who is the Morrigan".
And it is used in conjunction with more than three Gods.

You are wrong here. This is not about personal opinion versus personal opinion. This is your personal opinion versus my cultures academic texts. All of which say you're wrong.

Chieftain Twilight
the three aspects of her are worshipped individually, but she is also worshipped as her whole self

Only by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Chieftain Twilight

That never happened.
Seriously.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas