Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: Oh, the horror! D: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

amanogawatea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm
Finally, I was able to get my costume, and it was a week before the con!
I tried it on, and realized one thing.
It was too damn small.
.__.
Man, I was sad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:48 pm
Son Goshi-kun
I am horribly afraid of crowds. It's been like that since I was in middle school and has gotten worse now that I'm in college. Public transportation and crowded elevators frighten me because of that.

Okay, well now that that's out of the way. My local anime convention is Tekkoshocon. For a few years, it was located at the Expo-mart in Monroeville, Pa. It was lovely; nice and big and I could use the stairs without problem (my room was usually on the 12th floor). Then, they tore it down.

In '08, we were in a Radison Hotel, not too far away. I usually couldn't walk the main floor without freaking. It was that bad since the hotel was too small for us. No stairs to be seen either.

In '09, we moved to the giant convention center/hotel in Pittsburgh. It's so big, you can't tell that there are lots of people in there. Again, I couldn't use the stairs, was on the 14th floor... and I couldn't handle the elevators. I had a panic attack almost every time I went into one that Saturday and Sunday. I think that the one time, my friends and I waited for an hourish to actually get me into an elevator that had space in it.

This upcoming con, I'm definately checking with the staff to see if I can use those stairs. I'm not going to break down again.

I am also afraid of big crowds. I had a horrible experience of getting lost when i was a child so that deals with my panic attacks.
Anime Matsuri '09 Miyavi was doing a concert.. needless to say worst concert i have ever been to. The music was amazing but standing in the crowd wasn't. This random girl who was standing next to me had to help me get the stands because i was hyperventilating and my sister wasn't standing next to me. I was alright but drank ten bottles of water to calm down. Don't even let me start about the elevators.  

briana-la

6,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

User_1017918

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm
Back when I had friends interested in anime we had this huge group of friends going to animeboston 08. There was like 13 of us between two rooms and all in all it was pretty interesting with money exchanging hands and so forth.

I had a huge blow up with a friend of mine who was being a typical male douche. A couple months ahead of the convention I had begun work on my costume. (Astaroth from SC2) and he volunteered to make the axe and weapons for two other friends who were also going as SC2 characters. The day before we're leaving to go to the convention he decides to try something he read about online with putting fiberglass sheets on the weapons. He does it improperly and totally ruins the weapons and then shrugs his shoulders and takes off to a roller derby thing he was apart of at the time.

I ended up building all the weapons from scratch through the entire night and worked into 8am painting and drying them. One the ride up I pass out until the hotel room. Once there my friend talks about how he did this amazing job on the props weapons and how he hit a snag. I was like WRYYYYYYYYY and wanted to punch him. stressed

Eventually I yelled at him for volunteering to do a job he obviously couldn't follow through on and told him to never offer to do anything again. From there it just kept getting worse as the day progressed as no one except my buddy charlie and I were having fun. Everyone else was complaining about how shitty the con was (from their hotel rooms cause they didnt actually like try to have fun) and how expensive everything is. (welcome to Boston).

I think the highlight of the trip was actually going home. I refuse to camp down with those friends anymore and now I oversee and build all my own stuff which is like the only good thing to come out of it. I had to repair like so much of my own costume and cut corners because I couldnt complete it in time and so part of it was missing and the torso armor wasn't completed in time.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm
first time booking a hotel room....was connecticon 09

stupid website said nothing about 250 bucks cash up front for a deposit.

it actually said there was no payments until you check out =/

well...we didnt come with said 250 clams in cash.

so we had to give up our spending money to pay for the ******** hotel room -_-
so we were miserable
and then my bf got sick
and my best friend got sick
and everyone was cranky
and there was this guy who was causing drama
and everyone wanted to kill eachother
and we kept getting seperated from our group
and we were starved
and overtired
and omg it was terrible

I cant wait to go to Connecticon 10 PREPARED biggrin  

XxNaomi-LukarixX

13,200 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Knight of Braves-Xardogar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:47 pm
Anime North this year in my hotel room, my group I went with had crammed like 7 people into one hotel room and there was a flood on our floor Saturday night/early Sunday sometime.

All throughout this.......... I had been completely passed out on the one bed! xd

You can imagine all the chaos and commotion going on with that, in such a small hotel room, even someone bringing in a cot to sleep on to avoid sleeping in the wet mess didn't phase me at all. When I DID wake up, and step down on the floor all I could say was "why the eff is the floor wet?" and made sure none of my stuff got ruined, I was lucky but one of the others wasn't so. neutral

I found it quite amusing actually, probably because I don't get much sleep at conventions AT ALL.

I wasn't amused though afterwards due to stress from the flood and being completely packed in trying to pack, ended up cutting my lip badly while shaving. X_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 pm
This isn't anything that bad, but it's about pre-registration pickup for Otakon 2008. This also is about my friend sakuragirl9393 and I.

My parents drove sakuragirl9393 and I to the Baltimore Convention Center. We live about 30 minutes away. We get there and when we get in line (which was wrapped halfway around the BCC), it was raining. It wasn't supposed to rain and the umbrella (if we had one, can't remember) was in my dad's SUV. The line went by quickly; then again, sakuragirl9393 and I were making a game out of naming every cosplayer that we saw. I was surprised that there were cosplayers there that Thursday since the website specifically said that there were not going to be any events that day. So the line goes quickly and my friend and I had gotten our badges and stuff. We had to go into a separate line to get one of her pre-registrations changed to her cousin's name (my dad, her dad, and her great-grandmother paid for the pre-registration fee). She was able to change it into her one cousin's name at the regular line. The special line took about an hour to get through. It kind of helped that we were talking to the people in charge of the Naruto fan panel.

For those who were wondering, the reason why 3 people paid for my friend's pre-registration fee was because when her dad was pre-registering her, there were issues so my dad ended up paying her way in after I was pre-registered.  

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Senshi_Sailor Harpyia

2,800 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:06 pm
At TsubasaCon 09 this year I had everything ready I also took another Cosplay with me cause I had this feeling everything was going to go perfect. I get to the hotel and I try my Haruhi cosplay on and come to find out its too small.

But It all turned good in the end because I got a whole new cosplay at the con since One person was selling cosplay items and I bought a Akatsuki cloak and shoes so a bad cosplay turned to a good cosplay but I was still frustrated because I couldn't fit into the one I wanted to wear.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:44 pm
I went to my first convention in 2007. (only convention I've been to, for lack of money. But I'll be going to a lot now. :3 )

ANyways, my brother and me saw Orochimaru, and we decided to get a picture with the person. But, he went into an elevator. So my brother told me we should follow.
SO we did, and then we ended up going into the hotel, Lol.
and I thought my brother wanted to take a picture with him,
BUT NO.
My brother pushed me to take a picture with him.

It was awkward.
We are stalkers ? <3  

FoxTailAngel

Shameless Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Knight of Braves-Xardogar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm
GS Sailor Typhon
At TsubasaCon 09 this year I had everything ready I also took another Cosplay with me cause I had this feeling everything was going to go perfect. I get to the hotel and I try my Haruhi cosplay on and come to find out its too small.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to try it on before the con though? O.o

I will agree though that that part of it sucks, I've had a costume I ordered before have one essential piece be to small on me, as soon as I tried it on I literally got stuck and the only way out of it was to perform what I call since this incident "turning into the Incredible Hulk"  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:06 am
Heh, Anime Banzai 09 was pretty... Interesting. Well, to begin with, in the past this convention hasn't been very large, sure it's the biggest one in Utah, but that's not saying a whole lot. Well, this year they held it at the Sheraton Convention Center just like they have for a very long time. Well, there were a lot more attendees this year than expected, so the space was way too small for the number of people there. I didn't get any pictures because every time I stopped to get a picture a volunteer security person popped up and told me to keep moving because I was blocking the hallway. Not to mention that they canceled the rave... Everyone was so mad that they canceled the rave. I just went to my friends' hotel room for a while to pass the time. Eh, here's hoping for better luck at their new location in Layton, even if it is an extra 15 minutes drive. XD  

Sweet Trixie

Chaotic Halcyon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm
User Image
Well, I've learned better than to trust people not to steal. :/

I made an ANBU mask out of paper mache and hung it very loosely on my belt. I lost it on my first day at the Anime Expo convention in Los Angeles. D: At first, I thought I had dropped it, but I couldn't find it when I retraced my steps; and I thought someone had picked it up or thrown it away or something. But then I remembered this one guy brushing close by me that morning with this kind of odd smirk and whispering something inappropriate in my ear. He took it when he brushed by me very possibly, since I noticed that he was holding something white in his hands as he was walking away; but I had dismissed it at the time.

Grrr. And I worked so hard on that mask! D:

Oh well. Good thing it was just paper mache. whee

My ANBU costume didn't look really incomplete without it, and people still seemed to like my costume, so it was fine. :]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm
Sweet Trixie
Heh, Anime Banzai 09 was pretty... Interesting. Well, to begin with, in the past this convention hasn't been very large, sure it's the biggest one in Utah, but that's not saying a whole lot. Well, this year they held it at the Sheraton Convention Center just like they have for a very long time. Well, there were a lot more attendees this year than expected, so the space was way too small for the number of people there. I didn't get any pictures because every time I stopped to get a picture a volunteer security person popped up and told me to keep moving because I was blocking the hallway. Not to mention that they canceled the rave... Everyone was so mad that they canceled the rave. I just went to my friends' hotel room for a while to pass the time. Eh, here's hoping for better luck at their new location in Layton, even if it is an extra 15 minutes drive. XD

It was so hard to walk around in those hallways. D=
My first time cosplaying and I wanted to enter the contest.
But NOooo, they didn't think that the registration line would cause cosplayers to miss the deadline.
Made me mad and my aunt was horrified!
She knew how much work went into it.
Then we came back to watch the actual contest and it wasn't held at the time it was supposed to be. T.T

User Image

Nekolover_8

Dapper Gaian

8,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Etomidate

6,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:40 pm
Hahaha I have a few XD

Well me and my sister had managed to make alot of extra money, and we wanted to blow a good bit of it on NDK '09. So we decided it was just going to be me an her in a room, two beds, no mess it was going to be awesome! But a very good friend of ours said that she didnt have a room, so we invited her to our room. Well I thought we could add one more person to fill up the last place. So I go onto the fourms looking for someone...However~ I forget to say that I would very much like a GIRL! Seeing as we were all girls. Well the person I invited to our room was a boy...an older boy...(we were like 18, and our friend was 17) so you know im freaking out. And on top of that my sister and our friend were both inviting friends of their own into the room! So what was suppose to be 2, turned into 4, into 8! I payed for most of it, and didnt even get a bed =-=
However the boy that stayed with us was cool n-n

Lets see~ Another would be the elevators~ OMG these are alwayz causing problems @ NDK! Well we were staying in the hotel across the street form the con~ well on check-out day we waited 20 mins for the elevator to pick us up. Once on we went all the way up, and ALL thw way down...another 20 mins... I nearly died of the heat~ there were 15 other people on it to. And the crazy thing is~ we were on the 2nd floor...And the stairs were not usable. I was a wreck when I got off ><

Following this event~ was suppose to be a meet-up~ well we skipped it~ for the sake of the people around us =-= I was very pissed~ I was looking forward to this meet-up/photoshoot all weekend~ And it was my main cosplay.
And following that event~---------->
I had a pair of plattforms 5.5in high. Well everyone in the room really liked them~ so all my roomies ended up wearing them at some point during the weekend~ And right as I stepped outside~ I giant nail drove itself right through my right foot. ><  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:19 pm
At my first con last year, I went with two friends.
We went ask Kingdom hearts characters.
XD I was Riku, and my friends were Roxas and Axel.

Well we stood in line FOREVER to get badges, (2 hours I think...), and within a minute of stepping out of the line, this girl ran up to us SCREAMING.
XD Apparently, she was the Roxas/Axel love child. She gave us overly tight hugs, (without asking!), and took our picture with her.
It wasnt so bad...Until we saw her every hour practically the whole day. Every time she would scream, "MOM, DAD, UNCLE RIKU!" and again, hug us without us wanting her to...>.>  

Kausa

Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces