Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
WORST Neo-Pagan Religion. EVER. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

This new religion. Worst or not?
  Yes... -eyebleed-
  o_o -no comment-
View Results

Calixti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:23 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

He seems to be responsible for a lot of the separation between Christianity and the rest of the Judaic-Muslim tradition. :/
I was reading through an interesting essay on the words of Paul, his personal authority and the contradictions between his words and Yeshua's the other day. Like I needed another reason to dislike him. stare
That sounds really interesting, do you have a link?

As for fiction, well...if I start something, I HAVE to finish it or I go batty. Which is how I ended up reading the entire Twilight series after a friend (whom I will never again trust to recommend books to me again) suggested I read the first one. crying  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:12 am
TeaDidikai
I have a rule about the fiction I read. It has to do with the first five pages.
Twilight Flunked.

Really? I do too, except for me it's the first 50. lol

Edit: Read your next post on the rule, you basically do the same thing except mine is a "is this stupid" scale. Probably verified with the same benchmarks, plus a little bit of personal interest.

Anyone read the Dresden Files? I like his take on vampires. Out of all the vampire books I've read (which is quite a few, because I love vampire stories), his seems to keep the balance between Creature That Fascinates and Creature We Should Not Forget Is Not Human.  

Bastemhet

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:15 am
Calixti
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

He seems to be responsible for a lot of the separation between Christianity and the rest of the Judaic-Muslim tradition. :/
I was reading through an interesting essay on the words of Paul, his personal authority and the contradictions between his words and Yeshua's the other day. Like I needed another reason to dislike him. stare

Seconded. Would love to read it. blaugh

whiporwill-o
sorry, i just find it ironic that your avatar is a vampire

Hey man, I liked the way it made my avatar look! redface

TeaDidikai
Well, and then there's the fact that my family likely absorbed a lot of Slavic understandings from the numerous generations spent in that region of the world.

I remember looking through your pathways thread (which is gone now? cry ), and reading through the lexicon and finding a smattering of terms I could understand or that described an understanding that I had already had but did not have a word for. As I've said before, sometimes it's like turning on a light in a dark room.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:44 am
The Dresden Files are pretty good - don't have the latest one though. I think the portrayals of vampires that best describe my fascination are Forever Knight and Angel from tv, the whole redemption thing rsonates with me for some reason. Also, from print, simply for the sake of humor, try Pratchett's Discworld, particularly The Fifth Elephant.

Who says vampires can't be fun?  

River_Moonwolf

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 pm
I think Haruhism trumps this but at least Haruhi is "colorful"  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 pm
Sophist

Edit: Read your next post on the rule, you basically do the same thing except mine is a "is this stupid" scale. Probably verified with the same benchmarks, plus a little bit of personal interest.
I can forgive some mistakes, but if it's riddled, there's no point in suffering through the other forty-five pages.

Quote:
Anyone read the Dresden Files?
twisted

Quote:
I like his take on vampires. Out of all the vampire books I've read (which is quite a few, because I love vampire stories), his seems to keep the balance between Creature That Fascinates and Creature We Should Not Forget Is Not Human.
I like McCoy's method of dealing with the bastards.

Collowrath
As I've said before, sometimes it's like turning on a light in a dark room.
Happy to help. If you want to lift a word, let me know and I can dig into the linguistics and see if it's something that can be removed from the tradition or not.

Calixti
Nope. Though I could condense their essay and add my own two cents and post it here.

Remind me though. I'm about to come into some free time, but things are still a little hectic.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
Happy to help. If you want to lift a word, let me know and I can dig into the linguistics and see if it's something that can be removed from the tradition or not.

I will. In general though, I have a habit of grabbing a dictionary and translating myself - sometimes the term lines up (at least superficially). That's kind of what happened with zavolanie; I had been dancing around the term with English phrases for a while when I read it in the Polish form in your pathways ages ago, which sent me running for a dictionary. I can't think of an English word that means quite what is meant.

I used it in the pm I sent you a few days ago in order to convey exactly what I meant with a more exact word, but it occurred to me after I sent it that our differences in tradition might shade it with a different meaning - it wouldn't be the first time a word was absorbed by another culture because of a surface similarity.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:33 pm
eek Edward Cullen based religion?!
My poor brain might just explode XO vampires don't sparkle they burn!!!
[but another of her books The Host was amazing 3nodding at least i thought it was]

Anyways.....
On the topic of vampires I enjoy seeing an authors take on them =3 it's interesting. Has anyone read Cirque du Freak, Night World or The House of Night series?  

ColetteCatastrophe

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:50 pm
ColetteCatastrophe
eek Edward Cullen based religion?!
My poor brain might just explode XO vampires don't sparkle they burn!!!
[but another of her books The Host was amazing 3nodding at least i thought it was]

Anyways.....
On the topic of vampires I enjoy seeing an authors take on them =3 it's interesting. Has anyone read Cirque du Freak, Night World or The House of Night series?

I absolutely adore Cirque du Freak.

heart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:15 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist

I can forgive some mistakes, but if it's riddled, there's no point in suffering through the other forty-five pages.

Well, I think it depends, especially if it's a series. Sometimes I'll forgive less than stellar execution if the idea is interesting. Oftentimes the first few chapters, or even book, seems to be a little slow, while once the author figures out how they want to tackle it, they get into a groove and it gets better from there on out. It's one of the reasons I still read all of Twilight- the execution was terrible, but I like vampire stories, so... Although, I did have to keep a barf bucket ready whenever the heroine would go on her frequent emo bouts of self-hatred.

I'd say a good example of this is the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate. Kids that turn into animals through use of alien technology is a super cool idea, and while the first book or two kinda sounded like she was intentionally trying to dumb it down for a younger crowd, it seemed like it started picking up when she decided to have a little more PG-13 stuff go on and write to that group instead.

Quote:
Quote:
I like his take on vampires. Out of all the vampire books I've read (which is quite a few, because I love vampire stories), his seems to keep the balance between Creature That Fascinates and Creature We Should Not Forget Is Not Human.
I like McCoy's method of dealing with the bastards.

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Why no, it's-" *BOOM* xd  

Bastemhet

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:27 pm
I have a pretty distinct reason as to why I like vampire fiction etc. Said vampires are fictional. If the actually undead were walking around, we'd have a problem (we being them and I), but since they aren't, looking at humanity through the lens of someone who can both hunt them and crave to be part of them at the same time can be immensely interesting. Pushing those lines might be why I generally play Malkavians, especially since last time I created a vampire who basically cannot under any circumstances hunt. (It was a flaw, she's someone's living doll, and must be fed by another. It's generally something you can't even Dominate past.)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:55 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
Collowrath

I will. In general though, I have a habit of grabbing a dictionary and translating myself - sometimes the term lines up (at least superficially). That's kind of what happened with zavolanie; I had been dancing around the term with English phrases for a while when I read it in the Polish form in your pathways ages ago, which sent me running for a dictionary. I can't think of an English word that means quite what is meant.

I used it in the pm I sent you a few days ago in order to convey exactly what I meant with a more exact word, but it occurred to me after I sent it that our differences in tradition might shade it with a different meaning - it wouldn't be the first time a word was absorbed by another culture because of a surface similarity.
There was a bit lost in translation come to think of it. Hell... the different spelling threw me off when it shouldn't have. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 pm
TeaDidikai
There was a bit lost in translation come to think of it. Hell... the different spelling threw me off when it shouldn't have. sweatdrop

I'm sorry! I'll definitely remember to be more mindful in the future about explaining myself! whee  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:53 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai

I'm sorry! I'll definitely remember to be more mindful in the future about explaining myself! whee
It's the dyslexia. If I can memorize something, any deviation won't allow for the contextual association.  

TeaDidikai

starpocalypse

Tipsy Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:16 pm
I just found out there is such thing as 'Cullenism'.

God... they have this thing called "TwiChurch", where once or twice a week they go and discuss Twilight and they worship Stephenie Meyers.

=_= I want to see their medical records...

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff