Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
homosexuality and divorce

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 pm
So I think everyone should shut the hell up about homosexuality until divorce is made illegal. I mean people discuss about homosexuality because of the vagueness of passages but the view on divorce is very, very clear. So why do people b***h about homosexuality but are okay with divorce?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 pm
Whoever said that we (Christians who interpret the Bible to condemn homosexual activity) don't also believe that divorce is wrong? Of course it is (for Christians, at least). The only exceptions are cases of rejection by an unbelieving spouse or adultery.  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 pm
Nebulance
Whoever said that we (Christians who interpret the Bible to condemn homosexual activity) don't also believe that divorce is wrong? Of course it is (for Christians, at least). The only exceptions are rejection by an unbelieving spouse and sexual immorality.

Actually the only exception is for adultery. Also I see people bitching about one sin and not giving a s**t about another that is currently legal. If you believe divorce is wrong then try to make it illegal.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:03 am
Mei tsuki7
Nebulance
Whoever said that we (Christians who interpret the Bible to condemn homosexual activity) don't also believe that divorce is wrong? Of course it is (for Christians, at least). The only exceptions are rejection by an unbelieving spouse and sexual immorality.

Actually the only exception is for adultery. Also I see people bitching about one sin and not giving a s**t about another that is currently legal. If you believe divorce is wrong then try to make it illegal.

Yeah, meant to say adultery and fixed it in an edit.

I'll bother to try to make divorce illegal when I bother try to make homosexual activity illegal (which is never, because it's impractical and uneffective to legislate morality like that). Giving rights to homosexual marriage is recognizing it as legitimate-- I won't do that with divorce, either.  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

TikiRocket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:55 pm
I believe marriage should be a strictly religious practice and taken out of the law books entirely, and that everyone should be able to get a civil union -- something that recognizes that these two people have entered into an agreement with each other, for reasons of love or convenience, that they will watch each other's backs and coexist and possibly raise children together. All the stuff that falls under marriage rights now will just become civil union rights.

Then the whole stupid argument about whether gays should be allowed to marry in a country that isn't a bloody theocracy can finally be laid to rest. Marriage can maintain its supposed 'sanctity' according to whatever the church's rules on marriage happen to be, and gay people who want to love each other and raise families together will finally be allowed to do so.

Honestly. It's a known fact that marriage having anything to do with love is more of a recent indulgence than an ancient tradition. Advancing one's social standing or creating healthy business connections has been the long-time purpose of the practice. The biggest reason homosexuality was a problem was because, in smaller societies, two people of the same sex couldn't procreate. In situations where someone was wealthy enough, it was no problem if they took on a same-sex lover in addition to their marriage partner, as long as they'd made an attempt to breed first.

It bothers me immensely to see followers of any religion tell anyone else who they are or aren't allowed to love. So what if it's against your religion? It isn't your right to judge anyone else. God will deal with them in his own time. Your only business is your own, and whether or not you're sinning and atoning. Mind it accordingly.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:04 pm
TikiRocket
I believe marriage should be a strictly religious practice and taken out of the law books entirely, and that everyone should be able to get a civil union -- something that recognizes that these two people have entered into an agreement with each other, for reasons of love or convenience, that they will watch each other's backs and coexist and possibly raise children together. All the stuff that falls under marriage rights now will just become civil union rights.

Then the whole stupid argument about whether gays should be allowed to marry in a country that isn't a bloody theocracy can finally be laid to rest. Marriage can maintain its supposed 'sanctity' according to whatever the church's rules on marriage happen to be, and gay people who want to love each other and raise families together will finally be allowed to do so.

Honestly. It's a known fact that marriage having anything to do with love is more of a recent indulgence than an ancient tradition. Advancing one's social standing or creating healthy business connections has been the long-time purpose of the practice. The biggest reason homosexuality was a problem was because, in smaller societies, two people of the same sex couldn't procreate. In situations where someone was wealthy enough, it was no problem if they took on a same-sex lover in addition to their marriage partner, as long as they'd made an attempt to breed first.

It bothers me immensely to see followers of any religion tell anyone else who they are or aren't allowed to love. So what if it's against your religion? It isn't your right to judge anyone else. God will deal with them in his own time. Your only business is your own, and whether or not you're sinning and atoning. Mind it accordingly.

This isn't a bad idea. I really don't care if I'm legally certified as 'married' when/if I ever do marry a woman. This is actually quite a good idea for a workable compromise. smile  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 pm
There's even some of the ties between homosexuality and divorce (believe it or not).
I come from a faith that encourages that homosexuality is a curable disease, and a cure is a relationship with a partner of the opposite sex. The problem is, they don't last (either because the homosexual is cheating on their partner with another gay person, they don't feel happy,or the straight person is insecure and feels like they're not good enough or used for the gay person's image in society, I don't know. There's probably other reasons). You just end up with broken families and more people joining the SSA (straight spouse alliance) for comfort. Maybe the 'homosexuality is wrong' people should think about that.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 pm
SchizoSpazz
There's even some of the ties between homosexuality and divorce (believe it or not).
I come from a faith that encourages that homosexuality is a curable disease,

Prove that homosexuality is a disease

Quote:
and a cure is a relationship with a partner of the opposite sex.

Now THAT is useless.

Quote:
The problem is, they don't last (either because the homosexual is cheating on their partner with another gay person, they don't feel happy,or the straight person is insecure and feels like they're not good enough or used for the gay person's image in society, I don't know.

OR BECAUSE A GAY PERSON ISN'T ATTRACTED TO MEMBERS OF THE OPPOSITE SEX

Quote:
There's probably other reasons). You just end up with broken families and more people joining the SSA (straight spouse alliance) for comfort. Maybe the 'homosexuality is wrong' people should think about that.

That wouldn't exist if people were tolerant.  

In Medias Res IV

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 pm
TikiRocket

I agree totally.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm
Mei tsuki7
Nebulance

I'm sorry, nobody made a thread yet, so that's why all you heard was the complaining in the homosexuality thread. So stop your complaining because we'll all complain here too.  

Someoneiknow

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 pm
Someoneiknow
Mei tsuki7
Nebulance

I'm sorry, nobody made a thread yet, so that's why all you heard was the complaining in the homosexuality thread. So stop your complaining because we'll all complain here too.

This isn't about this guild only. This is about the US in general. All the conservative christians are like "NO HOMOSEXUALITY" and then they go and get divorces. That my friends, is what is called a hypocrite.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:37 pm
I think, there already topics discuss about these?

Well, Guys! I guess in debates like this... Especially religion and beliefs, first thing you have to set in your mind is RESPECT.

Fine if you have your own opinion that might contrary with the beliefs or rules of some religions... But you cannot state who are wrong and who are right... We stand here with our different perspective...

So, please... respect others.... 3nodding

Amers Avenie

Super Noob

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm
I love the old bumper sticker which read, "Lord Save Me from Your Followers!"... It fits these days in our age.

I concur that the Government in general has no place in the designs of marriage. Where is it that they need to know, or even care about who we marry and when? Its original purpose, when Marriage licenses were first law was to stop white females from marrying black males in the US. Its very foundation in this culture was racist.  
Religious Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games