Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Herbalism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:15 am
Maze
I've got some books by Tom Brown Jr. which cover edible wild plants.

They don't really go into the whole 'crush this flower for instant relief' sort of thing, I'm afraid, but they're very firm on not eating anything you aren't one-hundred percent triple-damn sure of is the exact same thing as described in the book, and, also, not to eat them unless you're actually in a survival situation.

He's got this whole tracker school, and he practices what he preaches, so I find myself more comfortable using his information than whatever book I run into in the library.

I plan to hop over to America for courses by him, as well. He's got a herbalism course that I'm eyeing, for that matter. But you have to work up to that, so, basic survivalism is where we start. 3nodding
You raise a good point Maze.

There are a lot of ethical questions raised when it comes to generic herbalism, from the problems of extinction in regards to plants that have been over wildcrafted to the introduction of invasive weeds and the impact on the environment.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 am
Maze
I've got some books by Tom Brown Jr. which cover edible wild plants.

They don't really go into the whole 'crush this flower for instant relief' sort of thing, I'm afraid, but they're very firm on not eating anything you aren't one-hundred percent triple-damn sure of is the exact same thing as described in the book, and, also, not to eat them unless you're actually in a survival situation.

He's got this whole tracker school, and he practices what he preaches, so I find myself more comfortable using his information than whatever book I run into in the library.

I plan to hop over to America for courses by him, as well. He's got a herbalism course that I'm eyeing, for that matter. But you have to work up to that, so, basic survivalism is where we start. 3nodding
My brother's taken some of the Tracker School classes and swears by his skills.

TeaDidikai
The library is only as good as it's sources are accurate. Libraries do not always screen for accuracy. Patrons do not always report such horrific and dangerous things to their librarians.
Many (most?) libraries function as repositories for knowledge and don't tend to discriminate a whole lot over whether things are strictly accurate or inoffensive. The library I work in has Egyptology books that are over 150 years old, and much of the information in these books has subsequently been debunked and updated by more modern researchers. Someone who doesn't already have some acquaintance with the currents of Egyptological research won't know that without the help of a skilled reference librarian. If we didn't even have more modern books, or couldn't access them through loans from other libraries, even a trained librarian would be hard-pressed to acquire accurate information for someone who wanted it.

Don't get me wrong, libraries are awesome. But they're not universally well-edited, many small local libraries pay more attention to acquiring the type of books that will attract more patrons (hint: chick-lit, mysteries, NYT bestsellers, Harry Potter...), and many supplement their catalogues with donated collections of varying quality. A book being in a library is really only evidence that it was published, and somebody made a case for buying it or it was donated; it doesn't say anything necessarily about the quality of the book. Accuracy or utility is not always a prerequisite.

An extension of the "Just because someone published it doesn't mean it's true" should be "Just because it's in a library doesn't mean it's accurate or useful."  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 pm
TheDisreputableDog

Don't get me wrong, libraries are awesome. But they're not universally well-edited, many small local libraries pay more attention to acquiring the type of books that will attract more patrons (hint: chick-lit, mysteries, NYT bestsellers, Harry Potter...), and many supplement their catalogues with donated collections of varying quality. A book being in a library is really only evidence that it was published, and somebody made a case for buying it or it was donated; it doesn't say anything necessarily about the quality of the book. Accuracy or utility is not always a prerequisite.

An extension of the "Just because someone published it doesn't mean it's true" should be "Just because it's in a library doesn't mean it's accurate or useful."
Very good point. Some issues that could be more litigious than others (such as liability in cases of wrongful death) have been pulled from the local library once I pointed out that people die from eating rhubarb leaves.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Maze
My brother's taken some of the Tracker School classes and swears by his skills.

Envioussssssssss. Another half year for me, and then I should be in Waretown, NJ, waiting to be picked up for my first class. whee I'm currently working on figuring out my visa and the 'how to get there' and 'what to bring besides toilet paper' part. 3nodding

Tea
There are a lot of ethical questions raised when it comes to generic herbalism, from the problems of extinction in regards to plants that have been over wildcrafted to the introduction of invasive weeds and the impact on the environment.

I know the Gallagher Family (which I referenced in the second post of this thread or so) just went out to organic farmers in their neighbourhood and struck a deal with them.

They would take care of the 'weeds' for the farmers, and in return, they'd get to take said weeds home.

Free food for them, weed-free plants for the organic farmers. It's a win-win situation as the farmers are aware that the weeds they take are intended for consumption, and the weeds/plants themselves aren't sprayed. :3  

Maze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:13 pm
Maze

I know the Gallagher Family (which I referenced in the second post of this thread or so) just went out to organic farmers in their neighbourhood and struck a deal with them.

They would take care of the 'weeds' for the farmers, and in return, they'd get to take said weeds home.

Free food for them, weed-free plants for the organic farmers. It's a win-win situation as the farmers are aware that the weeds they take are intended for consumption, and the weeds/plants themselves aren't sprayed. :3
That's neat.

I get twitchy. Some of the common herbs that have held amazing medical benefits in the Pac NW have been driven to near extinction- particularly because of the over consumption on the part of drug addicts who use them to pass UAs.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:53 am
I've looking a little into herbs, but there dosn't seem to be many places here that sell fresh hearbs, other then say Chives or pasley.
So I decied not to follow that too much.  

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:14 am
redtearsblackwings
I've looking a little into herbs, but there dosn't seem to be many places here that sell fresh hearbs, other then say Chives or pasley.
Sometimes spiritual endeavors require you to put in effort.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:25 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings
Sometimes spiritual endeavors require you to put in effort.

Well gee I'm sorry I'm 16, still in school with no job and limited money and I can't afford to be buying hearbs.
As I've now found a place that sell more 'elbrate' ones.  

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:13 pm
redtearsblackwings

Well gee I'm sorry I'm 16, still in school with no job and limited money and I can't afford to be buying hearbs.
I'm seeing several of these conditions for satisfaction that can be fixed if you put in a bit of effort.

The question is, will you put in the effort to actually develop yourself or are you looking for quick and easy Fast Food Religion.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

I'm seeing several of these conditions for satisfaction that can be fixed if you put in a bit of effort.

The question is, will you put in the effort to actually develop yourself or are you looking for quick and easy Fast Food Religion.

Um what does that have to do with me having no money and being in school without a job?
I've tried serval times to get a job, still am trying right now.
Don't treat me like I'm lazy. I do as much as I can with the resores that I can.
Do you have a problem with that?  

redtearsblackwings

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:15 am
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Um what does that have to do with me having no money and being in school without a job?

Effort. Get a job. Or find wild growing herbs. Or make a deal with someone who grows herbs in e's garden. Or, or, or.

Quote:

As am I. It sucks. All of my rent will be on me in a few months and I haven't the money. Blarg. But I'm still searching. Tomorrow I'm going to apply at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Don't treat me like I'm lazy. I do as much as I can with the resores that I can.

Seeds tend to be inexpensive. Well, depending on the plant. Have you looked into growing them yourself?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm
redtearsblackwings

As Aino addressed, effort.

Quote:
This isn't the case. Hells bells. If you spent half the time on making a small potted garden that you do perpetuating your delusions of persecution on Gaia, you could have quite a collection of plants by now.  

TeaDidikai

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:51 am
Aino Ailill
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Effort. Get a job. Or find wild growing herbs. Or make a deal with someone who grows herbs in e's garden. Or, or, or.

Quote:

As am I. It sucks. All of my rent will be on me in a few months and I haven't the money. Blarg. But I'm still searching. Tomorrow I'm going to apply at Wal-Mart.

Quote:

Seeds tend to be inexpensive. Well, depending on the plant. Have you looked into growing them yourself?

What part of I'm looking for a job isn't effort. I had an interveiw today.
See to have seeds, you need a HOUSE, to have a house you need money. I dont have a house I have a shoe box flat. With very limited room.
Of couse I've looked into growing them myself, I'm not stupid.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 am
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Quote:
This isn't the case. Hells bells. If you spent half the time on making a small potted garden that you do perpetuating your delusions of persecution on Gaia, you could have quite a collection of plants by now.

HOW do I get it though you're tiney little head that I dont have a delustion. Telling me that I'm not putting in effort, is saying that I"m lazy.
And I dont have the room in a shoe box flat for a garden, I do look into those kind of things.

redtearsblackwings

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 am
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Quote:

HOW do I get it though you're tiney little head that I dont have a delustion. Telling me that I'm not putting in effort, is saying that I"m lazy.
And I dont have the room in a shoe box flat for a garden, I do look into those kind of things.

Oh, I may reagret this.

I spent 4 years in a shoebox, but you know what, there were windows. Unless you live in a basement you should have windows. I grew peppers, parlsey, sage, tomatoes and other veggies in pots, on the windowsils. You don't have to have land to have a garden, just some inginuity/imagination. I wanted a garden, I lived on the 2nd (first appartment) and 6th floors, no garden space, but I decided that having fresh veggies and herbs was important to me. So I came up with ideas, I saved up and bought a variety of pots, I saved money by starting seeds myself. Heck I grew some plants in empty beer bottles when I couldn't afford pots.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff