Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Different views on abortion Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 pm
I know this is one of those big overdone, widely discussed, everyone and their mom has an opinion on it, sort of topic but I'm interested to hear views on it from a religious perspective.

Do the tenets of your religion even include an opinion on abortion?

If so then what is it and how greatly does it effect your personal opinion on the matter?

Should your opinion on it in turn affect it's legal standing?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:57 pm
I have no religion standing on it. I'm not going to force an unwanted child on a woman. It's her choice. No one else's.  

Shiori Miko

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 pm
I agree.
While I don't think it should be used as birth control (since having abortions too often can be harmful, plus it's way expensive), women should have the option.

I also think that if she's married or dating, the father should get a say. One night stands, unless they were good friends way before that, it's a maybe. But either way, I don't think it should be forced on her.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm
I believe the fetus is a baby, therefore a person.

Even if a person inconveniences you, it's not okay to kill them, that's called murder.  

Riiko..Izawa

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 pm
Is it me, but is the view on abortion directly related as to what one considers a living human child?

Personally, as long as science can prove that the embryo is still not self-conscious (the brain hasn't yet connected to anything and thus cannot exhibit the stimuli-response reaction required to exhibit intelligence) I don't see any opposition to it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:54 pm
I see abortion as just giving birth early. It's not exactly the lady's fault that it's not able to survive on it's own yet, but it's not fair of it to make her feel ill and be in pain..

Either way, I put the one who already is functioning in real life in priority over the one that MIGHT not make it.
The lady can still have children, or at the very least adopt to raise another child.. the child isn't even guaranteed to make it to that point in life, with miscarriages and SIDS and all that.
And there's plenty of reasons not to have children, especially in this economy.. but there's no reason why you shouldn't still be able to love your partner. Just use protection!

That also, if it's brain isn't fully developed yet, it's nerves aren't fully functioning and it's not likely it can feel pain. I don't agree with 3rd trimester abortions unless it HAS to be done, like the kid and/or the mother would die if they tried to go to 40 weeks.

I do believe precautions should be taken to avoid needing abortions. It's damaging and expensive.

almisami: Yes, it seems to be something like that. Some believe as soon as the sperm and egg meet it's alive, some only if it's heart beats, some only if it's brain functions, and others only when it emerges from the womb. The people who don't support abortion seem to generally be the ones who think it starts at conception. (I have no proof, just watching the ED)  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 pm
i personally couldn't do it. i have some hypersensitive chip, and would feel horrible hurting another living being (albeit an unborn being). my mom is strongly pro-choice, and that's because she's seen horrible things in her nursing profession that people do to children they don't want or can't adequately care for. and i do also believe the father should have a say. i've heard of women who went and got abortions out of spite for the men, like saying 'it's my body, and i can do what i want with it' that's selfish.
religiously, i've been told that it's only constituted when the mother's life is in danger. i've heard people say though 'if the mother was really a good woman, she's give up her life for the child'  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:53 pm
SchizoSpazz
i personally couldn't do it. i have some hypersensitive chip, and would feel horrible hurting another living being (albeit an unborn being). my mom is strongly pro-choice, and that's because she's seen horrible things in her nursing profession that people do to children they don't want or can't adequately care for. and i do also believe the father should have a say. i've heard of women who went and got abortions out of spite for the men, like saying 'it's my body, and i can do what i want with it' that's selfish.
religiously, i've been told that it's only constituted when the mother's life is in danger. i've heard people say though 'if the mother was really a good woman, she's give up her life for the child'

I personally don't think I could either. But would you still give women that can deal with the consequences the choice?  

Shiori Miko

ILuvR0L0S

5,200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 pm
I disagree with most of you that have posted. First off the fetus is a human being. It's been proven that the fetus has a heartbeat and seperate DNA from the mother. It is nurtured and protected by the mother because the baby cannot survive on it's own. All babies in and out of the womb depend on their mother. As to Kage no Neko's belief that abortion is giving birth early your not correct. Abortion operations use vacumms and other tools that scrape the baby out of the mother's uterus. It is killing. Also as to Shiori Miko's comment that it's the mother's choice to kill her unwanted child I have this to say. She shouldn't have had sex in the first place. Sex can and will lead to pregnacny even if your on the pill or use contraceptions. Now someone is going to come in and say well what if their raped. Just because your raped doesn't mean you have the right to kill an innocent. I understand it wasn't your choice but does that give you the right to kill that baby. Has no one ever heard of adoption. Also if someone says well what if the mother has to or her and the baby will die that is a rare case. It has to do with high blood pressure. In those cases it is not considered abortion because the doctor's do whatever they can to ensure that the baby can survive. Some cases they save the baby and in some they don't. That doesn't occur in abortion your making the choice to kill the baby. Did you know that if you killed a cat or dog the way an abortion is done you can be sent to prison. I don't remember a cat or dog being a human.

What irks me the most is this. We just elected a black president. About 200 years ago African Americans weren't even considered humans they were property. Look at how far we've come. If we talked about having a black president back then we'd be thought of as radical. It took a civil war to make slaves free and another sixty or so years for them to gain the same rights as the average white man. Some people ask how were people able to treat other humans so terribly? Simple they weren't considered human. In WWII Hitler called the Jews rats and what do we do to rats? We exterminate them. He was able to get so many people to follow along with him by dehumanizing them. That's exactly what scientists and people have done today. We've dehumanized the unborn child.

Have any of you seen the horrific pictures of the unborn babies that are aborted everyday. I have and it is so horrifying. It's even more sickening to find out that the bodies aren't buried they're thrown out with the trash. A life is a life no matter what anyone says. Animals have more rights than the unborn baby does. We need to protect the child. One would think that the womb would be the safest place on earth. The womb has no war, anger, or crime. But we've turned it into an execution ground.

Those that say oh well if it was me I wouldn't but if it was someone else I'm not going to stop them your no better. It's the same thing as seeing someone on the playground being bullied and walking away thinking well I'd never do that or glad that's not me. You're just as guilty. Abortion is wrong and evil.

Now by this time some of you are thinking wow if I would never tell this girl if I had an abortion she'd call me a murderer well your wrong. I can't and will not condone your action but I will feel heartbroken for what you did. It is not my place to condemn you. I can only hope and pray that you wouldn't make the same descision again and help you through the guilt you might feel. I'd also like to say that my religion does have a big influence on my descison to be pro-life but it's not the only reason. By what I've studied in school and having experienced my mother miscarring I know for sure that I choose life.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 pm
Woman's body, woman's choice. Personally, one less brat that can't be taken care of properly, IMO.

If a woman's life is in jeopardy by giving birth, she must abort the feotus. This is LAW in my religion.  

In Medias Res IV

Shiori Miko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Ha! Found it!
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/g/gaskilld/ethics/Abortion.htm

Just in case you guys feel like reading.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm
In Medias Res IV
Woman's body, woman's choice. Personally, one less brat that can't be taken care of properly, IMO.

If a woman's life is in jeopardy by giving birth, she must abort the feotus. This is LAW in my religion.

I'm sorry so your saying that if your own mother decided hey what the heck I don't want a child right now I'll just get rid of it that's fine. Your condoning murder and last I checked that's a crime. As for you calling a child a brat you were one once too. The baby is seperate from the woman's body. She's not harming her body she's harming the babies. Child abuse if I do say so myself and last I checked that's a crime as well.  

ILuvR0L0S

5,200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Shiori Miko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm
ILuvR0L0S
In Medias Res IV

I'm sorry so your saying that if your own mother decided hey what the heck I don't want a child right now I'll just get rid of it that's fine. Your condoning murder and last I checked that's a crime. As for you calling a child a brat you were one once too. The baby is seperate from the woman's body. She's not harming her body she's harming the babies. Child abuse if I do say so myself and last I checked that's a crime as well.

But the baby does feed off the mother, so they are connected. If the child is unwanted, taking needed nutrients from the mother could be labeled as stealing.

And I'm pretty sure I just quoted part of that link I posted. ^^;  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:57 pm
ILuvR0L0S
In Medias Res IV

It's not murder. If I was born to a drug addicted, impoverished, single mother who couldn't and didn't want to take care of me, I might have wished I was aborted.

If I was born to a woman who was raped and I was the reminder of the man who had put her through torture, I would hate myself.

It's NOT murder. G-d ******** condones abortion in my religion and it's the same ******** G-d as you have. The soul does NOT enter the body until the first breath.

Wanna know what is child abuse? Smacking a kid around for no reason, NOT aborting a feotus.

Do not call me a murderer again.

I also permit circumcision, s**t, I'm like.. a double-whammy child abuser.  

In Medias Res IV

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm
ILuvR0L0S
I disagree with most of you that have posted. First off the fetus is a human being. It's been proven that the fetus has a heartbeat and seperate DNA from the mother. It is nurtured and protected by the mother because the baby cannot survive on it's own. All babies in and out of the womb depend on their mother. As to Kage no Neko's belief that abortion is giving birth early your not correct. Abortion operations use vacumms and other tools that scrape the baby out of the mother's uterus. It is killing.

If I had to get an abortion, I'd definitely try to get the pill form. That separates the blood/placenta from the uterus, then induces a period, forcing anything in there out. I think it's only available in very early pregnancy though. But I don't have insurance. I can't even afford to go to the doctor for this heat rash. Pregnancy itself costs so much more, and that's something I can't afford, and I refuse to be pregnant and not even be able to get prenatal care. Prevention measures I can afford, and do use. (especially since even prevention is WAY cheaper than an abortion)
Also, it doesn't always have a heartbeat, it doesn't even always have a heart. And it being nurtured by the mother can be harming her, sucking her nutrients out.

Quote:
Have any of you seen the horrific pictures of the unborn babies that are aborted everyday. I have and it is so horrifying. It's even more sickening to find out that the bodies aren't buried they're thrown out with the trash.

Yes, most of those are either photo shopped or later term, which I don't really care for. And I thought that they burned them, but that was just an assumption.

Quote:
You're just as guilty. Abortion is wrong and evil.

That completely depends on your own morals, what is right and wrong. In some tribes, cannibalism isn't just accepted, but it's commonly practiced. We see that as wrong, they see it as normal everyday life. If you were raised there as one of them, you'd think the same.

Quote:
I'd also like to say that my religion does have a big influence on my descison to be pro-life but it's not the only reason. By what I've studied in school and having experienced my mother miscarring I know for sure that I choose life.

My mother had me 9 years after trying to get pregnant, and being told she'd probably never have kids again. She miscarried twice, one was an ectopic pregnancy. She also fully supports me having an abortion if I need one, since she knows I'm in no manner (even physically) ready for a child.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff