Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Dating outside your religion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you date someone outside your religion?
  Yes - but only to date
  Yes - and consider marriage
  Maybe - depends on the religious difference
  No - I would rather meet my match with the same beliefs
View Results

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 am
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
pirate tsuinu-san
IT IS BIG SIN FOR A GIRL ..
for men ..it would be okey ..but for women ..it isnt right ..

What religion?
this sounds like seeexism

It sounds like he's a Trollite to me... wink

it sounds like SHE is a Muslim.

If I thought all crazy posts were by trolls, I'd think all of you were trolls.

This must have something to do with men ruling the household.

A Muslim man can declare his children Muslim but a woman cannot unless her husband says so.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 am
I think that if I did marry someone outside of my religion, it would have to be someone who was okay with a Methodist ceremony. But that's strictly for practical reasons - my father is a Methodist pastor, and I'm pretty sure he has my ceremony planned right down to which of his friends he wants to officiate and who the organist is going to be. So, if I wanted to keep peace in the family, I wouldn't be able to marry a Catholic, for example.

Personally, I don't care about the ceremonial side of things so much, it's more a question of values. I'd marry a Satanist, and my father be damned (figuratively speaking), if he/she had the qualities I was looking for and valued the same things I do.

As for lines I wouldn't cross...I would probably shy away from marrying a fundamentalist Christian, just because we're too different in our worldviews.

And dating outside my church. I've done it. The whole religion aspect wasn't really a problem, although the relationship ended badly for other reasons.

As for the friendship thing, I love making friends who have different religious views than my own - I don't think I have more than one or two Methodist friends at my school, even though it's a Methodist college. It's totally different from marriage, from where I sit.

Dame Sesquipedalian

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm
I think it would be fine marrying someone outside of my faith. Although, I would prefer it be someone of the same faith. I think it doesn't really matter as long as you love that person. My parents are a perfect example of that. My mom is Jewish and my Dad is what we now call a relaxed Catholic, but he came from a Catholic family. Even though they had some people like my aunt tell them that it was against G-d's will to marry outside of Judaism and said she'll never talk to my mom again (she's Orthodox); also, my grandparents on my fathers side said they won't go to the wedding or even acknowledge my mom; they still married. They're still together, even after 34 years! xd Of course, after about 5 years without talking to my mother, my aunt came around and decided it was ok. My grandparents took a while to even acknowledge my existence. Well, 2 years, but I figure that's a while. At the time it was just before my grandmother died and realized I didn't have horns and a tail, and I was a completely normal kid. Sad, really. I even dated a Christian for a while, and we even considered marrying. But, our relationship didn't last. So, yeah, I think it's fine.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:27 pm
Would I date outside my Religion: Yep. I got no problem as long as they don't go and actively try and convert me to their faith. I aint got no problems with any particular religion though I might draw the line at going to Church every Sunday if i married or went out with a Christian. I probably wouldn't discuss who or what created the universe and Earth. I see no problem as long as I don't get told I'm going to hell or something for not being their religion from their family.  

Zslone2

Falsequivalence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:47 pm
i don't see a problem if the person truly loves you. I dated a christian once, but it went well, and most of my best friends are christian (even the chicks) so i don't see a problem  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff