Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Religious Tolerance Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 am
Cyrus the Elder
almisami
I think Abrahamic religions are doomed by the simple fact that they do not acknowledge each-other. Their mutual intolerance will cause them to gradually dismantle each-other.

I don't really agree with this for one simple reason. There are factions in Christianity that acknowledge the Jews to still count as YHVH's chosen people, and that, one way or another, they'll be saved as long as they stick to the old laws, it's not a stance I'm inclined to agree with, but it's one that exists. Also, the Quran itself acknowledges the "People of the book" i.e. Christians and Jews as being groups that should be left to coexist with peacefully.

The groups are generally intolerant of each-other at the moment, but this has a lot more to do with deeply ingrained cultural conflicts spanning a good 2000 years than it does with the religions themselves.

Quote:
Most other religions can and should be relatively tolerant towards each-other.

Not sure I agree with that depending on how you're using "most other religions" there. There are a lot of religions out there I find not only wrong, but abhorrent, what they condone is horrific, and what they do is even worse, and I am in no way tolerant to them. There are even portions of my own religion which I will not only actively denounce, but publicly curse for the horrific stances they hold.

Just to comment on what you said, the biblical interpretations evolved acoording to
Judaism > Christianity > Islam > Bahá'í
While omitting the numerous schisms within each denomination.

I halso have to point out the fact that most horrific acts you mention are done by extremist sects of Abrahamic religions ''in the name of god''. L've rarely seen pagan or philosophical (political philosophy excepted, mind you) worship turn into genocide so far. This is why I say that if a religion acknowledges only one god and denies the others, conflict will be inevitable.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:35 am
almisami
Cyrus the Elder
almisami
I think Abrahamic religions are doomed by the simple fact that they do not acknowledge each-other. Their mutual intolerance will cause them to gradually dismantle each-other.

I don't really agree with this for one simple reason. There are factions in Christianity that acknowledge the Jews to still count as YHVH's chosen people, and that, one way or another, they'll be saved as long as they stick to the old laws, it's not a stance I'm inclined to agree with, but it's one that exists. Also, the Quran itself acknowledges the "People of the book" i.e. Christians and Jews as being groups that should be left to coexist with peacefully.

The groups are generally intolerant of each-other at the moment, but this has a lot more to do with deeply ingrained cultural conflicts spanning a good 2000 years than it does with the religions themselves.

Quote:

Not sure I agree with that depending on how you're using "most other religions" there. There are a lot of religions out there I find not only wrong, but abhorrent, what they condone is horrific, and what they do is even worse, and I am in no way tolerant to them. There are even portions of my own religion which I will not only actively denounce, but publicly curse for the horrific stances they hold.

Just to comment on what you said, the biblical interpretations evolved acoording to

I halso have to point out the fact that most horrific acts you mention are done by extremist sects of Abrahamic religions ''in the name of god''. L've rarely seen pagan or philosophical (political philosophy excepted, mind you) worship turn into genocide so far. This is why I say that if a religion acknowledges only one god and denies the others, conflict will be inevitable.
With Christianity and Islam, though, they are universal faiths with an emphasis on conversion. There is a strong belief in both that they are the correct faith, and that, unsurprisingly, allows for wars "in the name of god."

Judaism is that one random old Near Eastern religion to survive to today. It has evolved from the local city/tribal faith with patron god to what it is today. (You can read the different battles in the OT between God's priests and kings against other gods as wars between different cities/tribes/people).

Gornwen

chessiejo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:11 pm
almisami

Most other religions can and should be relatively tolerant towards each-other

historically, Muslims have respected and tolerated Jews and Christians as "people of the Book".

they have treated the two groups better than the two have treated each other.

so let's please not generalize.

as for guidance on being tolerant, here is my favorite source, qv~!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 am
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
If it goes against the word of GOD I avoid it. In my line of work I did'nt have a choice.I did'n allow it to interfere in my belief. There are some that will never believe the way Christians do and as a result all I can do is pray about it, and continue to stand for what I do know.

What would go against the word of G-d?

Let's use me as an example. I'm a lesbian, I swear, I will drink, I occasionally take drugs, I don't believe ha-Satan is evil, I don't believe in Original Sin, I loathe Christians who quote the Tanakh and misuse it to support their own bigotry, I deny Jesus as my personal saviour.

Am I someone who you will avoid? Will you pray for me?

But I'm religious, devoutly so.
Tell us how it was misused.

chessiejo
almisami

Most other religions can and should be relatively tolerant towards each-other

historically, Muslims have respected and tolerated Jews and Christians as "people of the Book".

they have treated the two groups better than the two have treated each other.

so let's please not generalize.

as for guidance on being tolerant, here is my favorite source, qv~!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/
Non-Muslims had to pay a special tax. That is why they did not try to make as many people in the Balkans Muslim. Bosniacs called Christians sheep scornfully in a poem I once read. And Muhammed personally saw to it that all the Jews in Mecca were killed or enslaved. And Muslims could not be slaves. Their elite Janissaries were comprised soley of kidnapped Christian boys from the Balkans.  

Totrue-Tufaar

Totrue-Tufaar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 am
Gornwen
almisami
Cyrus the Elder
almisami

Quote:

With Christianity and Islam, though, they are universal faiths with an emphasis on conversion. There is a strong belief in both that they are the correct faith, and that, unsurprisingly, allows for wars "in the name of god."

Judaism is that one random old Near Eastern religion to survive to today. It has evolved from the local city/tribal faith with patron god to what it is today. (You can read the different battles in the OT between God's priests and kings against other gods as wars between different cities/tribes/people).
They didn't recognize the others as being true Gods, I don't believe. And they were not random. They went through to much for it to be random. There are thoughts that it at one point reached a tenth of the population of the Roman Empire.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 pm
Well personally i dont care what religion people are as long as they dont shove it down my throat. I'm pretty tolerant of others ideas even if i dont agree with them its an oh well you believe wat u wanna and ill believe wat i wanna moment basically. But Religious Tolerance is an important thing so the world doesnt go through the Crusades again and again and again... etc and etc. Just people need to accept we dont know who is right till we die.  

Zslone2

Nines19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'll be tolerant until someone starts eating people.

That was a metaphor, for those of you who can't tell things like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:22 pm
User Image
أسْمِي نويل
I believe in absolute religious tolerance, as long as it does not violate basic human rights. I don't understand why certain people feel that part of following their own religion is bringing others down. Obviously, everyone assumes they have chosen the right one, but that doesn't mean that we can't agree to disagree and respect each other, especially among the Abrahamic faiths.
الّسَلامُ عَلِيْكُم

p934

The Random Rapist

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:29 pm
I believe that there can't be tolerance between religions.

When one religion says put to death those who worship false deities,
and if you TRUELY believe in this
how can you be as opened minded to be OKAY with and respect other religions?

All those people saying "coexsist" and "namaste" are just optimistic agnostics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:37 pm
And yet I have seen no crusades since the original ones took place. I suppose the Gulf War can count as one seeing how the "insurgents" are Islamic and the army troops are of other religions. But honestly We can Live together as long as no stupid Zealots come along preaching there Religion is the right one so drop yours and join mine.  

Zslone2

Misses Brinks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm
I think that we should tolerate another's beliefs. However, there's a difference between tolerate and acceptance. I tolerate women in Burkas, even that silly Birkini I herd about in France that a women was kicked out for. However we don't have to accept it.

Like OP mentioned with the Aztecs and human sacrifice. We can tolerate it to get along better, but we should not approve of some things in law. After all, murder is the unwillfull taking of ones life right? And those sacrificed, I hear, were greatly honored. I can't remember it exactly, but I know one civilization had this sort of honor with the sacrifice. So it technically wouldn't be murder. But that's just digging into the words a bit.

But to tolerate is alright. We should be tolerant of others beliefs, however, accept them and not ridicule them I think is prosperous.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff