Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Religious Tolerance Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Shadows-shine

For me personally, I don't agree with your choice of life style, but if that's what makes you happy go for it. I wouldn't avoid you, you might actually be a nice person (since I've never met you, I don't know what you're like. sweatdrop ) Also it's not my place to judge you, nor to condemn you. I never would do that. And yes I would pray for you. I just wouldn't do it to the point that would make you uncomfortable.

W-W-A-I-T

My.. choice?

I wonder how long it will be before I get kicked out of this guild, but dammit, I don't remember when I CHOSE to be gay.

Be fair... you talked about a whole slew of things which are choices (swearing, drinking, drugs, etc)... don't be so quick to claim offense.

Or perhaps it's the rejecting Jesus part?

I think Shadows was just referring to your lifestyle in general-- the whole of how you choose to live.

I live very religiously within the context of Torah as best as I can.

And she was legitimately saying that she does not agree with your choice, just as you do not agree with her Christian lifestyle (at least as far as the religious aspects goes). Living 'religiously' can mean almost opposing things for members of different religions.

EDIT: Actually, I think the other things you talked about that are not part of Judaism are what she was talking about, aside from the issue of religious practices. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 pm
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance

Be fair... you talked about a whole slew of things which are choices (swearing, drinking, drugs, etc)... don't be so quick to claim offense.

I think Shadows was just referring to your lifestyle in general-- the whole of how you choose to live.

And she was legitimately saying that she does not agree with your choice, just as you do not agree with her Christian lifestyle (at least as far as the religious aspects goes). Living 'religiously' can mean almost opposing things for members of different religions.

EDIT: Actually, I think the other things you talked about that are not part of Judaism are what she was talking about, aside from the issue of religious practices. smile

Oh, I agree with her Christian lifestyle. I think all Children of the Abrahamic G-d are kosher.

The only thing that ticks me off is when christians tell me I am going to Hell for rejecting Jesus when I don't condemn them.  

In Medias Res IV

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 pm
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance

Oh, I agree with her Christian lifestyle. I think all Children of the Abrahamic G-d are kosher.

The only thing that ticks me off is when christians tell me I am going to Hell for rejecting Jesus when I don't condemn them.

I am surprised that you accept all 'Children of the Abrahamic G-d'. Do you base this belief on scripture from the Torah or is it your personal view?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:28 pm
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
If it goes against the word of GOD I avoid it. In my line of work I did'nt have a choice.I did'n allow it to interfere in my belief. There are some that will never believe the way Christians do and as a result all I can do is pray about it, and continue to stand for what I do know.

What would go against the word of G-d?

Let's use me as an example. I'm a lesbian, I swear, I will drink, I occasionally take drugs, I don't believe ha-Satan is evil, I don't believe in Original Sin, I loathe Christians who quote the Tanakh and misuse it to support their own bigotry, I deny Jesus as my personal saviour.

Am I someone who you will avoid? Will you pray for me?

But I'm religious, devoutly so.

The subject was religious intorlerance. It does'nt sound like you have a religion. At one time I had no choice about dealing with people you decribed yourself as, that was my job and through that I learn how to work with all types of personalities, When it comes to religion I have my beliefs and disbelief concerning GOD. So those who pray to statues for instance is a direct contradiction to what GOD commanded. So I avoid those places and practices, I don't participate. I pray for those who ask for prayer and those who need it.  

quietstorm 2

Clean Member

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance

I am surprised that you accept all 'Children of the Abrahamic G-d'. Do you base this belief on scripture from the Torah or is it your personal view?

Torah says that there is no distinction between goy and Jew, that each are to be treated equal and thus I believe it.

I especially love Muslims.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 pm
quietstorm 2
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
If it goes against the word of GOD I avoid it. In my line of work I did'nt have a choice.I did'n allow it to interfere in my belief. There are some that will never believe the way Christians do and as a result all I can do is pray about it, and continue to stand for what I do know.

Let's use me as an example. I'm a lesbian, I swear, I will drink, I occasionally take drugs, I don't believe ha-Satan is evil, I don't believe in Original Sin, I loathe Christians who quote the Tanakh and misuse it to support their own bigotry, I deny Jesus as my personal saviour.

The subject was religious intorlerance. It does'nt sound like you have a religion. At one time I had no choice about dealing with people you decribed yourself as, that was my job and through that I learn how to work with all types of personalities, When it comes to religion I have my beliefs and disbelief concerning GOD. So those who pray to statues for instance is a direct contradiction to what GOD commanded. So I avoid those places and practices, I don't participate. I pray for those who ask for prayer and those who need it.

G-d also said to be wary of men who claim to be G-d.

Where's Gho and Nines when I need them? gonk

I have no religion? I'm like.. suuuuper religious.  

In Medias Res IV

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:51 pm
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance
In Medias Res IV
Nebulance

I am not one of those types of people to do that. Like I stated before. I will never condemn or judge any one. That is not my place.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:52 pm
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2

So do you follow a specific religion? I know you said that you follow the torah and you are fond of Muslims. Is that the religion you follow too?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm
You do know that Christians are saved by God's grace and that is freely given. The thing though is the only way that we as Christians know how to receive that Grace is through faith in Christ. Yes there is that verse the only way to the father is through me but does that mean faith in the person or faith in the teachings of Christ? Because of this obscurity in scripture we are free to accept what tradition teaches to be true that we must have faith in the person and the teachings but we must be open to the possibility that Christian salvation might be also available to non-Christians who live a life of agape as well.

IMR do realize that though the actions and methods of the individuals here might be offensive, their intentions are in the right place. Don't let us "eBil xTians" get under your skin, you are on your path and you know where you are headed. Why let those that don't know who you are bug you so much? It's okay smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 am
Shadows-shine
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2

So do you follow a specific religion? I know you said that you follow the torah and you are fond of Muslims. Is that the religion you follow too?
User ImageI'm going to go out on a limb here and say she's Jewish.

I think that as long as someone's religious belief or non belief isn't hurting anyone, and as long as they don't go around shoving it in everyone's face... we should all just leave each other be. If people learned to keep their beliefs or lack thereof out of inappropriate situations, we'd probably all get along a lot better. Let me tell you... I get SO annoyed when I walk into a place of business and see not one or two, but upwards of 15 or 20 religious symbols decorating the room. It seems like they're using their place of business to advertise their beliefs, which is totally inappropriate. User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Shinigami Vayth

Newbie Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 am
Semiremis
I've heard many express the need for religious tolerance in the world,
I've heard many take the opposite route and express the need to get rid of all religions in order to make the world a better place.

What is religious tolerance? Is religious tolerance important? What if Religious tolerance means that you must tolerate something you deem morally heinous (if the Ancient Aztecs were still out there sacrificing humans to the Gods, should that be tolerated by those of other beliefs)?

What are your thoughts and opinions on this topic?

I believe there's no tolerance in spiritual things in a religion. I mean if someone adopt a teaching from another and use it. For example, if a muslim worship many gods, then he's not tolerated. but if he quit, not as a muslim anymore, then so be it. "To you be your Way, and to me mine. "

But aside from spiritual, there's also social. and in Aztec example you gave, sacrificing people not religion only anymore. It's a matter of humanity, and thus we can't tolerate it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:32 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Shadows-shine
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2

I think that as long as someone's religious belief or non belief isn't hurting anyone, and as long as they don't go around shoving it in everyone's face... we should all just leave each other be. If people learned to keep their beliefs or lack thereof out of inappropriate situations, we'd probably all get along a lot better. Let me tell you... I get SO annoyed when I walk into a place of business and see not one or two, but upwards of 15 or 20 religious symbols decorating the room. It seems like they're using their place of business to advertise their beliefs, which is totally inappropriate. User Image

I was just asking so I can better understand where she is coming from. I don't care if any one has a different set of beliefs than I do, that's irrelevant, unless they want to debate doctrine with me.
I agree with you that it is annoying to see religious symbols decorating the rooms of office buildings and what not. Unless the office is used for such religious purposes, then those things should be kept in the home or at the church  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:11 pm
Shadows-shine
Daffodil the Destroyer
Shadows-shine
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2

I was just asking so I can better understand where she is coming from. I don't care if any one has a different set of beliefs than I do, that's irrelevant, unless they want to debate doctrine with me.
I agree with you that it is annoying to see religious symbols decorating the rooms of office buildings and what not. Unless the office is used for such religious purposes, then those things should be kept in the home or at the church

eh, I don't see why it should matter how someone decorates their business office. I'm not saying that you guys are like this but I think a lot of people go a bit too far with their aversion to seeing religious symbols in public places. I mean, does it really hurt anyone if they see a few religious symbols and artwork hanging around a place?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:23 pm
Semiremis
Shadows-shine
Daffodil the Destroyer
Shadows-shine
In Medias Res IV
quietstorm 2

eh, I don't see why it should matter how someone decorates their business office. I'm not saying that you guys are like this but I think a lot of people go a bit too far with their aversion to seeing religious symbols in public places. I mean, does it really hurt anyone if they see a few religious symbols and artwork hanging around a place?

No it doesn't matter. It only bothers me when I see it over done. I don't mind if I see a few things that have to do with religion in a public place. I've just been to places where it's way over done.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas