Welcome to Gaia! ::

a written word - the new version!

Back to Guilds

a friendly atmosphere to discuss books, writing, and so much more! 

Tags: Book, Write, Read, Roleplaying, Random, and more!, Movies, Music, Sports, Food, Fan Fiction 

Reply "The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."
Borders, Local Book Shop, Or Library?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which?
  Borders
  Local book store
  Library
View Results

Lynnden_472
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:23 pm
Which one do you prefer to go to? I personally love the feel of a little book shop - especially the one near my house. I love the quiet and homey feel of it.
I like borders because the books are lower priced. I also like it because of the lovely coffee and hot chocolate and the big comfy chairs.
I love the library when I don't have any money to spare, or I want to "test" out a book that I'm not too sure if I like it or not but still want to read it. Lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am
Barnes And Noble
<3
There's Some Little Local Book Store...Never Been in.  

CYBizR0llin--KissMySass

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 am
I like local bookstores when I have the money to spend. There's a used bookshop that I like to visit that I've found some gems that I doubt I would have come across otherwise.

The library is good for trying out books that I'm not sure about and also when I'm strapped for cash. I'm a well-known patron of my local public library and in good standing.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:09 am
Anywhere I can get my hands on more books, don't have a library membership so that's a bit harder to do, but me and my father own enough books that if I wanted to shut myself into a house with enough supplies to last me, and read non-stop. I could keep to myself for probably 4-5 years...

I like Barnes and Noble for the service, Borders for the prices, Bargain Books (local store version) for, well... the bargains, and the Library for the occasional magazines and book archiving.

Cyrus_the_Blackheart

5,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

D_Marx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 am
I Love my library. I can order books from other branches from anywhere in the country if it's not available here, and I don't have to spend a cent. The downside is that sometimes I want to read something and it's in such poor condition that it takes away elements that I require to read the book [i.e., wow, I didn't know page 24 was completely missing!]

Otherwise, I haunt my BN or Borders. I buy at book stores for the smell. <3  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:36 pm
I like Borders because they have more of a selection.
But I also like the quaint feel of the local used bookstore. Not only is it nice and quiet, but there aren't any douche bags from the Borders laying on the floor, all sprawled out so you can't look at the books on the freaking shelves.
I don't borrow books from the library anymore since I already have so many books that I haven't read yet. But I do like to look at the used books that they're selling when I'm there. And sometimes they have these big book sales to make room for more newer books.  

Rei Uchikino

Awen Dana

6,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Local bookstore all the way. They have new books, can place special orders, used books at fantastic prices, and a coffee bar. Unfortunately, I live a good hour away from the nearest library and a good hour and 45 min away from the local bookstore. The nearest chain store is at least 3 hours away so I rely very heavily on my own book supply and whatever books my fiance brings up.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:28 pm
Barnes and Noble. I don't like Borders because they have music and DVD's all over the store and Barnes and Noble puts them where they belong in a bookstore, in the back.  

Todd186
Crew

Creativerealms

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:13 pm
Well the problem with library these days is their collection is too mainstream. Really if you're looking for a writer like Robbert MaCammon (and I am) yiour not going to find many of his books in the Library. Or small book stores for that matter.

Though what I use to buy books is the local Humane society which has a book sale three times a year. I pick up a ton of books there and you never know what you will find.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:17 pm
I love community book sales like that and yard sales, you find some of the neatest books that way. I found a super old copy, as in doesn't have a copyright date that I can find, of Pilgrim's Progress at a yard sale, I paid a quarter for it mrgreen  

Awen Dana

6,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

xXRIKUXxLaCeY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:16 pm
i hav to say BORDERs i ean i love the library but since i live in a small town they dont hav a lot of books i want && i like to keep the book i read so i could reread them & ref. to them!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:06 am
Local Book Store~ Half-Priced Books to be exact. Gahhh, I love that place!!  

TrickMeMoon

LadyMonster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:24 am
My local bookstore doesn't have much for selection -- it's very tiny, and it's great if you like children's books or non-fiction, but its selection of basically everything else has always seemed rather limited. I've gotten a couple good books there, but usually...

I go to Borders. Borders is roughly 25 miles away, so I don't get there terribly often, but this is probably a good thing. I have more books than shelves to put them on, and if it were any closer, I'd be broke all the time. ._.

I do sometimes get things from the library (or, more often than not, Mom goes to the library and comes home with books and some of her more interesting finds 'vanish' for a few days whee ), but I always feel a little gross after touching those books. sweatdrop I mean, how many people check out books because they know they're coming down with a cold and want something to read while they take a few days off?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 pm
barnes and nobles Baby!!
i could live iin it !  

fictiveUniverse

Profitable Hunter

Azaveil

8,050 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:58 pm
I actually do all. I request new releases from the library, especially if I don't own any earlier volumes in the series. I love used book stores for finding treasures. But on days when I'm especially depressed or pissed off, I like to spend hours in a Borders... however, I get depressed again when I realize how much I spent at check out. In fact, today I went to Borders and just as I went to check out, the power went out. I had to wait for the registers to reboot and then the power went out again. It was an adventure going home as well, considering it was pouring enough to flood the streets.  
"The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games