Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)
Occult Tools Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you like to see a thread on occult tools?
Yes please!
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No thanks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 am
Candles

Candles are an important everyday tool of the Craft. They come in every colour, can be scented or not and represent each of the four elements all by themselves. Some of the most simple spells out there involve nothing but a candle and your will. A white or black candle can be substituted for any other colour, as white and black aren't colours themselves, but the combination of all colours or the lack of them (white and black respectively). Its' a good idea to keep a wide array of colours and types of candles on hand. Usually you can pick them up at local dollar stores for a quarter a peice, a bit more for the larger pillar candles.

A candles form is solid like the earth; the dripping wax like water running, the smoke as air's breath and its' fire the fire of life. A candle is a powerful magical tool if you keep that in mind. They can also provide simply light and scent to other magical workings, and set the proper tone for an event. Personally, I think candles should only be lit using a match, but others who are a little more techno-Pagan than I am will argue otherwise. A candle should never be blown out, as it insults the spirit of fire (and may splutter wax wall over the place). Instead, pinch out the flame at the base with dampened fingers, or snuff it with a candle snuffer.

Finally, where to keep a candle burning? The bathtub is the single best place in your home to leave a candle burning over night or for long periods of time if you have to go out. If the candle falls over, it wont catch anything on fire, and the bottom of a tub is usually pretty damp so it's double safe besides being made out of porcelain. A candle spell is best left to just burn until the candle is gone, and please, only one spell per candle!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 pm
i loved the helpfull advice on Altars and Candles. while i myself am always unsettled by instructions of strict traditional rules, or of the disrespectfull ways in which spirits and gods are treated in many magical practices, i can honesty say that you have quite a knack for explaining the importance of personal practice. you have that understanding that not everyone thinks that you have to bind things or make demands. that these beings deserve our respect and love, and to be treated as equals who have feelings and thoughts and emotions.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:17 am
I don't use many tools. I mostly just use stones etc.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 pm
I use what I can get. I favor my Athame, because it represents me in a way. I also enjoy my candles and oils, my salts, my herb, and even my coffin nails (they are for use in Hoodoo, but I incorporate them into my Craft when I feel it is necessary)  

xxravenohayexx

whiterosedemon

Romantic Prophet

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:21 am
Isn't it dangerous to rely on using tools? I was once told that if you spread yourself out on too many tools then you loose your natural talents?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:27 am
whiterosedemon
Isn't it dangerous to rely on using tools? I was once told that if you spread yourself out on too many tools then you loose your natural talents?

A good number of occultists believe that while tools are important, it'd be a bad idea to rely on them too much, since it's entirely possible for you to do magick without them. That said, tools are there for a reason - to make particular tasks easier to perform - so unless you frequently find yourself in situations where you need to do magick but have no tools at hand, you don't really need to worry too much about weaning yourself off using your favourite chalice or Eloigning Clock or what-have-you.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

slayerforce7

5,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am
Awesome article! Thanks for the info  
The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games