Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)
Occult Tools Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you like to see a thread on occult tools?
Yes please!
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No thanks
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:04 pm
Most of what I'll be covering in the thread would be witch's ritual tools, practical tools and items, some divination tools (tea leaves, tarot, pendulum) and mental tools, although things like meditation and visualization could probably use their own thread...Anyways, enjoy!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:41 pm
The Tools of the Craft

There are many tools at the fingertips of any witch. Simple things like string, animal fur, crystals, grass seed and bits of houseplant can all be used in magical workings. However, there are certain tools that can be very useful to have around and dedicated to you. The most common of these are the athame, bell, wand, boline, pentacle and chalice. Some of you may note that these are also tools used within the Wiccan tradition, especially the chalice and bell. That's ok. Witches may draw their tools and spells from any tradition they chose, as long as they're respectful and acknowledge when a spell is not of their own make.

Being a witch does not make you a part of a certain religion. Witchcraft, in and of itself, is NOT a religion, it is a collection of practises and is devoted to magic.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 pm
The Athame

The athame is a dull, blackhandled knife that is used to focus the energy of the caster. An athame can be any make or colour you chose, but traditionally has a black handle. It's important for you to find one that suits you.

An athame is valuable for 'cutting' in and out of a cast circle, and casting the circle itself. If ever entering or exiting a circle that has already been cast, use your athame to 'cut' yourself a door after excusing yourself polietly and quietly (if you're alone, there's no need to excuse yourself to anyone but the elements and gods you've invited). Once outside the circle, close the 'door' behind you. Upon returning, 'cut' a new door and enter back into your sacred space.

Some traditions maintain that the athame is actually a throw-back to times when circles could be cast using a full-sized sword or large staff, but over time they have become smaller and more hidden, thus producing the athame and staff, respectively.

A word of caution: An athame should never be carried casually on your person. No-one is going to understand the ritual nature of the item, especially the police. It should be left in a safe place where it wont attract undue attention to itself, unless you own your own home and can leave it out anywhere you like.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:20 am
The Boline

The boline is the athame's opposite. This white handled knife is more of a literal working tool in that it is sharp and used to prepare and manipulate items during a working. The boline can be used to cut thread, chop herbs, carve a candle or a number of other things while working your magic. Your boline is a sacred tool as much as your athame or wand and should be treated as such, even though it is a tad more mundane. Always take care to wash your boline by hand after using it on herbs or food items and keep it sharp. By honouring your tools, you're giving them more energy to do their job.

Again, as with athame, dont' keep your boline on your person. No-one is going to understand the ritual nature of the boline so it's best to avoid odd questions and possible trouble with the law and keep your boline at home in a sheath.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:34 am
The Pentacle

This is less a tool and more of a ritual focus. The pentacle is a five pointed star surrounded by a circle. This should not be confused with the pentagram, which is technically any five sided shape. The pentacle represents the five elements, earth, air, fire, water and spirit and is their physical representation on your altar or in your circle. The pentacle can be a dish or plate that is engraved or carved with a pentacle on it, but in a pinch, a pentacle drawn on a peice of paper will do. The pentacle is normally used to hold offerings or items during a ritual or working. It gives your cakes and ale a place to sit that's out of the way that is also a special.

If your pentacle is used to hold food, it should be carefully wiped clean after use and personally, never put in the dishwasher (if that's an option). Treating your pentacle like an everyday ordinary dish will make it an everyday ordinary dish and not the magical tool that it's supposed to be. If your pentacle is made of wood, polishing it with gentle oils once in a while isn't a bad idea. I keep my pentacle in a hand-sewn cloth bag when it's not decorating my altar or being used.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:47 am
The Chalice

The chalice is a magical tool used to hold any and all liquids for magical works. This tool, in some traditions and especially in Wicca, is seen as female and as a representation of the Goddess or of the cauldron of life. A chalice can be any receptacle; a wine goblet, a plastic cup, champagne flute, etc. It's how you see it and treat it that makes it the magical tool that it is. My personal chalice is a fine wine glass I picked up at a garage sale for .50$. I cleaned it up and dedicated it to magical works and now its' a chalice and not just a wine glass.
The chalice is a perfect thing for holding salt and water for casting a circle or for blessing and cleansing a tool.

Any liquid can go into a chalice, but make sure you clean it out well after your work is done. Again, please don't put your chalice in the dishwasher; wash it by hand and dry it by hand after using it and then place it back where it belongs. By honouring your tools, you're giving them the power to help you in your work.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:23 pm
Salt, incense, water and a candle...

What do these things have in common? At first glance, the answer may be nothing at all. However, to anyone with a small degree in magical knowledge, they will know that these four tools represent one each of the four elements and are excellent purification items.

Salt: Corresponding to the element of Earth and the direction of North (in many but perhaps not all traditions), Salt is a magician/mage/witch's best friend. Salt can be used to purify just about anything, especially when it is mixed with purified water (tap water will do in a pinch, but rain water, melted snow or even bottled water kept expressly for ritual/magical purposes would be better). Crystals and jewlery can be placed on or in a dish of sea or rock salt and be cleansed. Salt water can be used to bless and cleanse other items and to purify a space through spritzing it. Salt placed in a dish on your altar can represent North and the element of earth if you're on a tight budget and can't afford nifty crystals or statues.

NOTE: Table salt, while ok in a pinch, should not be used for major ritual purposes. This salt has been iodized and isn't pure. Sea salt or rock salt is. These things can be picked up at your local health food store.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:59 pm
Incense

Incense represents the element of Air and the direction of East. This versatile tool can be used for setting a mood, cleansing a space and also to bless items. The smoke the of the incense is its most important aspect, as well as the type used. I find that it makes no difference what type of incense is used, as long as the scent is what you need.

There are 3 types of incense you can buy: Powdered, cone or stick. Powder incense is the type that you put on top of burning charcoal and smokes really really well. The cones are well, cones that you burn. They need a lot of air to keep going. Stick incense is probably the most common kind that you'll find and it comes in all sorts of colours and scents. A GREAT reference novel for incense is Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Incense, Oils and Brews.

By wafting the smoke of a incense over and around a person or thing, it becomes cleansed by the element of Air and also blessed. Incense, especially the aromatherapy kinds, are helpful in setting the atmosphere for a magical working as well.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 pm
Water

Water represents the direction of West. This element is closely tied to the emotions and the unconsious mind. Water is a purifyer. This element is the best for purifying anything, except for soft stones like opals, cloth, paper, etc because the water might ruin it. As posted earlier, ordinary tap water wont do, except in a pinch. Collected rain water, melted snow or even Brita or bottled water is preferred over tap water. Rain water can be collected in a bottle with a coffee filter coned into the top; that way any debris from the air wont go into your bottle. The same process can be applied to melted snow.

Water as a bath is helpful before performing a major ritual as all of the mundane aspects of yourself and other baggage can be washed away before the work begins. Immersing an object in water and leaving it in sunlight or moonlight is an excellent way to cleanse it for future use and I recommend it for any newly aquired crystals or pieces of jewelry that wont be harmed by immersion in water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 am
Absoluete lurve for this so far. Very useful!! *plans on printing this for be BoS, which is really a binder... sweatdrop )  

Silver Mist

Childhood Dreams

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:01 am
I really like this thread, and how you've given me alternatives for things. For the longest time, I've been using normal table salt, but now I know I can use that bag of sea salt I got for my 14th birthday that's currently under my bathroom sink.

Also, I'm not sure if this would fit into this category of thread, but do you think you could put up some information about altars? I've heard that it's okay to have a simple one in your closet, but I'm not sure. Thank you! <3  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:17 am
The Altar

A home altar is an important place for a practitioner of magic. It gives you a focus, a sacred space for your tools to rest, a place to put images of the divine, be they statues or pictures, and somewhere for you to meditate, if that's a part of your practise.

Certain traditions will tell you where to place your altar in your home. If you're lucky enough to own your own home, then you can place your altar anywhere your tradition tells you too. However, if not, the top of your dresser in your bedroom, or on a small table is fine. Your gods/spirits/etc will understand that it's only temporary and wont be offended. Consult your own tradition for the placement of your home. Personally, mine goes in the north as I'm deeply connected to the element Earth. Some traditions say East, for new beginnings, South for power or West for finality. Depends completely on the tradition though, so do your homework.

What goes on an altar, you may ask. Well, that again depends on your tradition. In some of the more traditional Wiccan traditions, the tools mentioned above go on the altar, as well as personal decorations for the seasons, divination tools, statues to the god and goddess, etc. Your altar is a person expression of your Craft AND a work space. Keep those two things in mind when arranging it. Personally, I re-arrange mine ever 6 weeks or so to correspond to the Wheel of the year. I find it helps keep me in tune a little better with the seasons.

It's a good idea to keep a small dish of sand or water nearby if you've got a home altar. Nothing ruins a ceremony or working like lighting the altar cloth on fire. Safety is key! Not having to worry about things like that will add an element of comfort to your works. (An altar cloth is a coloured cloth that separates the things on your altar from the surface they're sitting on. They can be colour-coordinated for the season or working at your discretion.)

Your altar should be somewhere private (like your bedroom if you're at home) or in a study (if you've got one). If you know when company comes over they're going to feel uncomfortable seeing your altar out in the living room, you might want to have it somewhere else that's just for you and your works. Also, high enough up that your dog/cat/ferret can't jump up on it is good too. With cats it's harder to keep them off, but try. ^_^ My cat seems to have a healthy obsession with mine, the silly thing.

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games