Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
Chatspeak in foreign languages >___> Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chatspeak?
  No, i do not like when people butcher their languages.
  Yes, it's fine and part of culture.
  I have not yet made an opinion.
View Results

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 pm
There's some type of Arabic chatspeak that's not really chatspeak. It's what people do when they don't have Arabic font and they have to type in Arabic with the Latin alphabet. So it looks a lot like chatspeak but it isn't really... You have numbers replacing letters you can't find in the Latin alphabet and such.
I stole that example from Wikipedia: "ana raye7 el gam3a el sa3a 3 el 3asr."  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:34 am
Some chatspeak I see a lot here in Quebec:
koi - quoi - what
pk - pourquoi - why
je c - je sais - I know
je sé - je sais - I know
ché - j'sais - I know
ajd - aujourd'hui - today

Chatspeak annoys me terribly because most of the time you can't understand it even if you're a native speaker of the language. Everyone has his own way of using it and most of the time the syntax is horrible too... I guess it's useful to know some of it if you want to understand those who actually use it (especially in a foreign language) but I strongly discourage using it, no matter which language you're speaking.

Moonlight_Naida

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm
Gee Bag Face
whats the problem with it, you seem to think people are uneducated when they shorten words. Its just easier and im lazy, its cheaper in sms messages and im not in school anymore so really the only time i write is in sms so ya get used to it, doesnt mean people are uneducated or stupid its just what peoople do... none of yer buisness anyways
I don't judge people's education/intelligence based on how they type, but I still don't like chatspeak. Just like if you don't like what someone's wearing, you (hopefully) don't make too many assumptions about the person based on that, but you could still talk to your friends about their horrible fashion sense. :/ (Note that I have zero fashion sense so I do not do this, and I don't mind people who do.)  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff