75%
 75%  [ 18 ]
Ghost
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 24

Child of Nintendo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:13 pm
Are you a TV-verse Bob fan, or of book-verse Bob? Personally, I've always liked book Bob better. Complimented Harry's humorous side better. But I suppose I can see Hrothbert of Bainbridge's appeal too.

So, which is your favorite, and why?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:12 pm
I prefer the spirit of intellect. He's much more versatile and if the show ever moved to where the books went it would have been very difficult to explain the types and amount of knowledge Bob had through the ghost motif.

At least they got it right in the pilot (the actual pilot, that is).  

Nuadu

Sprainogre
Crew

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:43 am
Really? I've never seen this "actual pilot" you're referring to. Is it on the DVD set?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:42 am
Sprainogre
Really? I've never seen this "actual pilot" you're referring to. Is it on the DVD set?

I found it online somewhere... it's a longer version of the "Storm Front" episode, so there are elements of it that they could afford to make more accurate.

it actually aired in the middle of the night on SciFi, about a year ago....if you do a search for it, though, look for 'unaired pilot'  

KudoRan

Nuadu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:09 pm
Quote:

Sorry, I just saw this. As far as I know they did not release it with the DVD set. It is a 2 hour version of Storm Front, that was relatively true to the book (as much as book to TV shows can be true to the book). We had smart assed, glowey-eyed Bob-the-Skull and everything.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:02 am
Huh. Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to look for it online and see this for myself.  

Sprainogre
Crew

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Emma of Bainbridge

6,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:29 pm
I'm a Hrothbert of Bainbridge fan 100%, as is completely obvious due to my username. I think that making Bob a person was the best change made from book to TV series, and he quickly became the most beloved character of the show. Terrence Mann does a beyond-fantastic job portraying him.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:53 am
Emma of Bainbridge
I'm a Hrothbert of Bainbridge fan 100%, as is completely obvious due to my username. I think that making Bob a person was the best change made from book to TV series, and he quickly became the most beloved character of the show. Terrence Mann does a beyond-fantastic job portraying him.

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm going to disagree. While it was an efficient change for the media shift, it's never one that really set well with me. That, and he didn't portray Bob all that well. Not a bad actor, I'm sure, but not a version of the character I like.  

Sprainogre
Crew

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

J. Dragonhater
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:24 am
Sprainogre
Emma of Bainbridge

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm going to disagree. While it was an efficient change for the media shift, it's never one that really set well with me. That, and he didn't portray Bob all that well. Not a bad actor, I'm sure, but not a version of the character I like.

Book Bob was a smart a** who complimented Harry's personality to a letter. He was funny and twisted.

TV bob was none of that.

I agree with you Sprainogre. The actor didn't portray that very well. TV bob was way to moody and depressed. He worked in the tv show (his ability to shapechange into what ever he touched was pretty damn awesome) but only just. He would never work in the books.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:11 pm
I think it would have been hard to sustain the skull Bob for the TV show, no matter how entertaining he is in the book. Giving him a form gave them more options for the show.  

caromac

KudoRan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:17 am
caromac
I think it would have been hard to sustain the skull Bob for the TV show, no matter how entertaining he is in the book. Giving him a form gave them more options for the show.

not to mention that only one of the book stories was included in the show... all the others were tv-original  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:26 pm
As much as I love Bob, did ha have to be made a bigger part in things? And you could so make a rune covered, jaw moving, eye glowing skull more then enough of a character with the right voice and some subtle fx.  

Sprainogre
Crew

Learned Seeker

10,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

sunsetsurf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:44 pm
caromac

Definitely. I like book!Bob in the books, and tv!Bob in the show. To each his own.

On the other hand, Terrence Mann is one of my favorite actors (predominantly a Broadway performer), so it was terrific fun to see him once a week.

Each Bob fits his environment.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:23 pm
J. Dragonhater
Sprainogre
Emma of Bainbridge

Book Bob was a smart a** who complimented Harry's personality to a letter. He was funny and twisted.

TV bob was none of that.

I agree with you Sprainogre. The actor didn't portray that very well. TV bob was way to moody and depressed. He worked in the tv show (his ability to shapechange into what ever he touched was pretty damn awesome) but only just. He would never work in the books.

I'm not in this guild but i had to comment on this.

It is true that Bob the skull works well with Harry in the books. But I belive that bob the ghost works just as well with him in the show.

The Harry from the books and Harry from the show are different in their own ways- yes they have the same personality but, to me, they seemed to have different drives.

This could be because I was only able to read till halfway through book 3 or because I saw the show before the books, but I belive the actor for bob the spirit worked weel for actor for Harry just as well as bob the spirit worked for book harry....

... if that makes any sense at all. and I think I just went into a mini babble-rant so I'll shut up now.  

ManyNamedChibi

Cherry--blossom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm
i've always thought that the Bob from the books was a much more interesting character, and his sense of humor captured the sense of the series a lot better  
The Dresden Files - The Official Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff