Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)
The Book List (good books to read) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chaoticpuppet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 am
I'll be accomodating this one time.

It'll be my nice deed for the month.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:39 am
Well, I tried to post a series of libraries here--twice--but each time accidentally navigated off the page. It gets a little disheartening after a while.

I can try again sometime tomorrow or Thursday...in the meantime I'll see if I can post this, and request admission to your group.  

shatterspect

shatterspect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:20 am
Hey, sorry about the wait.

I reviewed one of the rules which came across my path, which stated that links must be PG-13 in content. Accordingly, I have had to edit down my list of online libraries, though I most certainly have not read through all the links in every one of these libraries to make sure they're "safe" for people at least 13 years of age. So I'll post the links I consider to be relatively harmless...though in occult studies, what is "harmless"?

Which is a good question...the first link I was looking at listed references to the Lesser Key of Solomon and to Crowley (who I'm not linking to as he endorses cutting. Lesser Key of Solomon should be obvious). Let me say right here that I am not responsible for anything anyone does with this information. The hermetics.org site is mostly religious stuff and could thus be said to be relatively "safe"...hm. Though it also links to the Legemeton.

Here's one that should be relatively safe: http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/tup-onl.htm
Not sure about this one, but I'll post it anyway: http://www.geocities.com/collectumhermeticus/home.htm
The next one's not my thing, but someone might like it: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html

You might also find something of value in these sites:
http://www.pantheon.org/
http://www.symbols.com/ (*very* good for alchemical symbols)
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/Languages/Languages_Hebrew_TO/HebrewLetters/HebrewVowels.htm (for those missing Hebrew vowels no one talks about)
http://www.occultopedia.com/occult.htm

Annd...
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1896/pentref.html (extensive collection from Usenet on the symbolisms of the upright and inverse pentacle)
http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/nok/q2.txt (short text on the Kabbalah)
http://www.digital-brilliance.com/kab/nok/index.htm (good nondenominational treatise on the Kabbalah)
http://angelpaths.com/tarotl.html (in case you want a good clear source on the Thoth deck...though I have not had direct experience with this yet)

I tried not to link anything which would direct-link to the Legemeton, the Necronomicon, or any of Crowley's writings; the PG-13 aspect also took out at least one Satanist library. Some of my best libraries and sites went out because of it (as most serious occultists--for one thing--are not teenagers). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the titles of the sites, either.

I'm not really into "protecting" teenagers from unholy influences (*snerk*), but if I don't do it, I get banned. As I was surfing I was wondering how much of this "protecting children" bullshit stems from Christianity, as the Abrahamic-aligned sites (like angelpaths) were much more likely to be...er, "wholesome." Theosophy isn't so much linked with magic as psychism, but Hermetics, on the other hand...I haven't read through the entire "Collectum Hermeticus", BTW, not even a great portion of it. But a really good library should have Hermetic texts, and we aren't locking kids out of the library because we're scared what they'll do with the information.

I'll stop ranting now. evil  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:46 pm
What about books on shamanosm??? mrgreen  

The Nelo-Angelo

chaoticpuppet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:52 pm
Surprising that the following has not been brought up yet:
Satanic Bible, The Devil's Notebook, Satanic Rituals, The Satanic Witch, and Satan Speaks!
- All by Anton S. Lavey  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 am
The other day when I was at my favorite bookshop I saw inthe New Age rack, "The Necrominion" we all now that book but standing next to it was a book "How to Understand The Necrominion"  

Rebel_Rebel

notforcats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:50 am
the dalai lamas daily inspiration book  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:37 pm
I - General Information on the Occult
The occult - colin Wilson

IV - Magic and Occultism
Morning of the magicians - pawels
history of magic - elphias levi

V - Supernatural
John A keel : (mothman prophecises, our haunted planet , strange creatures from time and space
Jerome Clarke The unexplained
Charles Fort - Lo , Book of the damned  

Animeharpy

Crimson Fox Of Tempests

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:47 pm
Migan
What about books on shamanism??? mrgreen

Dr. Michael Harner
---Way of the Shaman
---Shaman Healing, Shaman Wisdom
Mircea Eliade
---Shamanism: ancient ways of ecstacy.
Jamake Highwater
---Ritual of the wind
Carl A Hammerschlag M.D.
---The Dancing Healers.
( will add more later.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am
Recommended Reading for

Wicca:

Drawing Down the Moon - Margot Adler
The Power of the Witch - Laurie Cabot with Tom Cowan
Lid Off The Cauldron - Patricia Crowther
High Priestess - Patricia Crowther
Witch Blood - Patricia Crowther
One Witches World - Patricia Crowther
Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millennium - Vivienne Crowley
Principles of Wicca - Vivienne Crowley
Magick without Tears - Crowley
The Witches Bible Compleat - Janet and Stewart Farrar
Spells and How They Work - Janet and Stewart Farrar
What Witches Do - Stewart Farrar
The Witches God: Lord of the Dance - Janet and Stewert Farrar
The Witches Goddess - Janet and Stewart Farrar
The Life and Times of a Modern Witch (out of print) - Farrar, Stuart
Magical Rites from the Crystal Well - Ed Fitch
The Training and Work of an Initiate - Dion Fortune
Mystical Qabalah - Dion Fortune
The Golden Bough - Sir James Frazier
Witchcraft Today - Gerald B. Gardner
The Meaning of Witchcraft - Gerald B. Gardner
The Triumph of the Moon - Ronald Hutton
The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles - Ronald Hutton
Wiccan Roots: Gerald Gardner...Modern Witchcraft Revival - Philip Heselton
Modern Magick - Donald Michael Kraig
Diary of a Witch - Sybil Leek
The Elements of Ritual - Deborah Lipp
The Way of Four - Deborah Lipp
The Witches Qabala - Ellen Cannon Reed
The Heart of Wicca - Ellen Cannon Reed
The Witches Circle - Maria Kay Simms
A Book of Pagan Rituals - Herman Slater
Natural Magic-Doreen Valiente
Ancient Wicca -Doreen Valiente
Witchcraft for Tomorrow - Doreen Valiente
ABC of Witchcraft Past & Present - Doreen Valiente
A History of Pagan Europe - Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick

Runes:
Three Controversial Runes in the Older Futhark by Harry Andersen
A Concise Grammar of the Older Runic Inscriptions by E.H. Antonsen
Old English Runes and their Continental Background edited by Alfred Bammesberger
The Kensington Rune Stone: New Light on an Old Riddle by Theodore C. Blegen
Runic and Heroic Poems of the Old Teutonic Peoples by Bruce Dickins
Runes: An Introduction by Ralph W. V. Elliot
Helrunar: a Manual of Rune Magick by Jan Fries
Runes in Sweden by Sven B.F. Jansson
Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Runes and Runic Inscriptions edited by James E. Knirk
Frisian Runes and Neighbouring Traditions edited by Tineke Looijenga
The Language of the Oldest Runic Inscriptions. A Linguistic and Historical-Philological Analysis by Enver A. Makaev
Runes and Runic Inscriptions. Collected Essays on Anglo-Saxon and Viking Runes by Raymond I. Page  

StrawberryGumiho

cainian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 pm
has anyone read the treatise on white magic  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 am
Crossposted from Mysteric Realms:

ALL of these can be shoved under 'Magick and Occultism'.

Condensed Chaos by Phil Hine
Ah, good ol' Hiney. XD This was one of my first books on Chaos Magick (along side Liber Null & Psychonaut, Now That's What I Call Chaos Magic!, PsyberMagick, and Liber Kaos). Personally, I think it's the best book one could read as an introduction to chaos magick; Phil speaks in clean, concise terms about a subject that few can pin down, and he does it while avoiding all the pseudoscience and Oh-My-Kia of Peter Carroll. Everything's explained lucidly, he gives examples where needed, talks about his own experiences, and gives the user some practical stuff that isn't chopping off one of your egos. For anyone wishing to dive into Chaos Magick, Condensed Chaos is the book to get. .
Overall Rating: 9/10. (Points off for being too simplistic. XD)

Prime Chaos by Phil Hine
A companion piece to Condensed Chaos, giving information on rituals, magickal groups (covens, factions, cults, wha have you), and two mini-sections on Discordianism and working with Lovecraftian entities like Cthulhu and Barbara Streisand. I'd suggest getting it if you liked Condensed.
Overall Rating: 9/10. (Points off for not covering lots'n lots.)

The Magician's Companion by Bill Whitcomb
A very nice book of symbols, signs, correspondances and the like; I've heard Aleister Crowley's book 777 is thematically similar (though I wouldn't know, haven't read much of any of ol' Al's work. I'm terrible, I know.) Very handy for figuring out what colour socks jel with promoting wealth (green and gold, of course!).
Overall Rating: 8/10. (S'kinda huge and clunky.. and hard to read, sometimes.)

To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver Ra- Okay, okay, just kidding. But if you clean past the crap, she does have /some/ useful books, and hey, everyone has to start somewhere. I learned how to rewrite rituals from her books, after all. =o!
Overall Rating: 2/10. (Don't hate her because everyone else does. Read a few of her books, THEN hate her).

The learned art of Witches and Wizards - Anton & Mina Adams
My very first book on Wicca. <3 It's so weird and peaceful-like, I really enjoyed reading and learning from it because it didn't have the "GUESS WHAT GOD'S FEMALE!" of Ravenwench. It's a very simple book, and doesn't have much to offer, but I'd still advise reading it; it goes over the basics pretty damn well.
Overall Rating: 7/10. (Simplistic, short, sometimes dogmatic (With the Rede and all), but nice to have. Kinda like a puppy, in some ways.)

The Sorcerer's Handbook - Peter J. Clark
Arp, one of the books I read when I began stumbling into less Wicca-orientated stuff, and into more arcane things (though it was only a stumble, Hine and friends are what made me trip XD). Clark's book is handy for younger folk, in that it nicely divides magick into different segments so folk can readily understand things like the difference between spells and rituals, high and low magick, divination and active and so forth. He doesn't seem overly preachy, and I'm a tad unsure of the greatness of his so-called Psychic Enhancement chapter, although they were kinda fun to try out. It even has some neat spells in the back that fall into the categories he provides as examples to the potentiate. I'd recommend this, like I said, to younger folk who're looking into more than just nature/fertility magick, but after a while it becomes kind of meh. Still, it's a great read (saved me from being bored unto despair when I was about 15, over at my dad's house in Ireland for a week. Those who know my dad would thusly recommend this book.)
Overall rating: 8/10. (Material becomes old-hat after a while).

Postmodern Magic by Patrick Dunn
A truly awesome book for people who aren't happy with the typical way of makin' magick. It's got lots of neat information and /exercises/! Exercises are one thing that all magickal books should have. If you have a spare few quid, get this book.
Overall Rating: 8/10. It's smallish, but it's worth it.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Loagaeth

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:40 pm
BOOKS?! *spits drink out* heart My favorite! Don't forget "The Three Books of Occult Philosophy"!  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 pm
Loagaeth
BOOKS?! *spits drink out* heart My favorite! Don't forget "The Three Books of Occult Philosophy"!

If you feel so inclined, it'd be a great help if you do a minireview of Agrippa's books, maybe even look out somewhere where you can download'em? If not, that's okai, but I figure a bookworm would sure like to mention the good and bad points of something like the Three Books. XD

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Loagaeth

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:34 pm
Mitsh
Loagaeth

If you feel so inclined, it'd be a great help if you do a minireview of Agrippa's books, maybe even look out somewhere where you can download'em? If not, that's okai, but I figure a bookworm would sure like to mention the good and bad points of something like the Three Books. XD

I would love to do that! Where would I put the review, in its own topic on the forum?  
The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games