Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Hades: Where is the Love? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think Hades can be trusted?
  Totally
  NO WAY
  Sometimes
  Other (WHAT "OTHER" CAN THERE BE???)
View Results

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm
I don't know how many people think this, but I mean, why does everybody not really like Hades? (This may not be true with some people. Namely a certain Akherontis...) What I mean is that in mythology, they all think that going to the Underworld is...bad would be too strong a word...not that swell. Sure, Thanatos (Death) may be involved, but death can be a good thing! Well...that was kind of besides the point.
For example: in the myth where Hades falls in love with Persephone, Demeter was pissed off at the fact Hades captured her daughter. Sure if my daughter were captured (not that I have one) I'd be angry all the same. But Hades was in love with her! And Demeter commanded that Hades only be with Persephone for half a year! How would you feel if you couldn't be with someone you love for half a year? Just because Hades is dark-ish doesn't mean he can't be trusted!!! So where's the love for Hades?

And on a seemingly random note, you know how seasons are flipped in the different hemispheres? (If it's Winter in the Northern Hemisphere, it's Summer in the Southern Hemisphere.) Which hemisphere does Hades' time with Persephone go with? (Probably Northern Hemisphere since Greece is there...but I'm just wondering.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:21 pm
I don't like him nor do I hate him. In comparsion actually I think he's favored alot more then someothers. Like Aphrodite for example probably would get alot of hate mail from the guild members. sweatdrop
Maybe if hades said that he was interested in Persephone and gave an effort first to do things in a more accetable manner then KIDNAPPING then yeah maybe I would like him more. (I understand the kidnapping, but he didnt try anything else first so yeah.)  

Lenimph

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:06 pm
Hades asked Zeus' permission before he abducted Persephone. That's not the part I find disagreeable. It's the fact that Persephone is Hades' neice. Albeit, incest is less controversial a thing when it comes to the gods.

As for why people speak in fear or distaste concerning Hades, it's because the afterlife for most people is a dismal fate. A dreary eternity awaits the dead as they are reduced to a mere shade, with memory and identity fading into the gloom. Only the truly righteous or the truly wicked are spared this loss of self, through the delights of Elysion or the torments of Tartaros. The rest fade into shadows, or are reincarnated.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:20 pm
Akherontis
Hades asked Zeus' permission before he abducted Persephone. That's not the part I find disagreeable. It's the fact that Persephone is Hades' neice. Albeit, incest is less controversial a thing when it comes to the gods.

As for why people speak in fear or distaste concerning Hades, it's because the afterlife for most people is a dismal fate. A dreary eternity awaits the dead as they are reduced to a mere shade, with memory and identity fading into the gloom. Only the truly righteous or the truly wicked are spared this loss of self, through the delights of Elysion or the torments of Tartaros. The rest fade into shadows, or are reincarnated.

Only in some versions does he ask Zeus, I've seen stories both ways when he hasks and doesn't ask.. but i did just remember that he does that tricky business with the polmegranite which I dont really like, so she can't run off. Kinda like caging a bird <.<

And the reason can't be incest, that's just not practical. You don't hear all the time from greek mythology fans how Zeus married his sister and that is so wrong. rofl XD Although you do hear that from 6th graders just learnng about mythology XD  

Lenimph

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:32 pm
Akherontis

I see your point.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:05 pm
I love hades.  

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:24 pm
good for you mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:02 am
Yes i know it is good for me.  

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

Lightwater2520

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:20 pm
The thing you have to remember is that Hades is lonely. All he has in his relm is Persephone part of the time, Charon, Cerberus, the Erinyes and the shades of the dead. Aside from his wife, that's not great company. In fact, that was how Orpheus appealed to him to allow Eurydice to come back to the land of the living.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm
I never thought of Hades as a bad god, quite the opposite I always viewed him as a fair god. What would Hades gain from screwing mere mortals over, Peresphone on the other hand... but hey Hades was a very lonely guy. There's not much company down there and Peresphone is known to be nice and kind.  

Kallistea_Rose

2,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Hermes07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:17 am
I adore Hades, one of the very few faithful husbands and a proud one at that. He never wanted to be lord of the dead and is sore on the subject, and it was Persephone who choose to stay with him. She ate three seeds of her own free will and told her mother the story of how she was tricked into eating only one. He gave her a small paradise so she wouldn't feel to far from her mother well she was away and never had a child because she wished to stay pure. This was very rare for back then. To have any respect for a woman as a person not just something you owned. He had the respect and he loved her very much.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:55 pm
Here's an interesting retelling of the myth on Youtube. It takes quite a bit of artistic license with the story, but the addition of Askalaphos' myth is rather an interesting touch:  

Akherontis
Captain

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 am
Akherontis
Here's an interesting retelling of the myth on Youtube. It takes quite a bit of artistic license with the story, but the addition of Askalaphos' myth is rather an interesting touch:

I agree. VERY interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:15 am
Hermes07
I adore Hades, one of the very few faithful husbands and a proud one at that. He never wanted to be lord of the dead and is sore on the subject, and it was Persephone who choose to stay with him. She ate three seeds of her own free will and told her mother the story of how she was tricked into eating only one. He gave her a small paradise so she wouldn't feel to far from her mother well she was away and never had a child because she wished to stay pure. This was very rare for back then. To have any respect for a woman as a person not just something you owned. He had the respect and he loved her very much.

~That just made my day. Thanks.

~I thought it was that and the fact that Hades was infertile, as a Lord of the Dead should be (quoted from a random website I forgot the title/address of.) Come to think of it, usually the male gods can't keep it in their pants.

~Where's the love for Hades? In the mourner's hearts, pointed in the other direction. It's simple. Woebegone and greiving family and friends hate him because he is a reminder of their loved ones' deaths.  

DeleteThisInactiveAccount

Kallistea_Rose

2,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 pm
Hades and Peresphone, I think, had the least affairs of the married gods. But they weren't all the time Hades fell for a nymph that Persephone turned into a mint tree which shows she felt strongly enough for him to do that. But she wasn't exclusive either she had a thing for Adonis. She and Aphrodite fought over who got him.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff