Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Year and a Day. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you done a Year and a Day ritual?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 pm
Ok, thanks for the information.
The reference to the myth was symbolic, I ment to reference it as 366 days to "brew" knowledge.

EDIT: forgot the word 'days' haha.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 pm
Zelroth7

The reference to the myth was symbolic, I ment to reference it as 366 days to "brew" knowledge.
I've always wondered why on earth this made a good symbol for neo-pagans. Sure- the first three drops grant wisdom, but the rest kills you. ninja  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 pm
I guess I haven't read enough.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 pm
Zelroth7
I guess I haven't read enough.
Happens to the best of us.

So- you want to dedicate yourself to study, spiritual progression and faith?
It seems to me that goals and deadlines (over arbitrary time frames) might be a good thing.

What goal would you set for yourself in regards to your dedication do your spiritual progression and what time frame do you think is reasonable?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:17 pm
Well, I really like the rituals and the idea of controlling personal energy, from what I have read so far. I usually like Lore too, but with so many variations, it's a little daunting. I guess you could say I really like the 'craft' (the spells, divination, etc. but I'm not like "OMG FIREBALLS LOL") , but the spirituality (like the duality in the god/goddess) rings true as well. I want to learn as much as I can before school starts again (early August/late September) then I will ahev to slow down a bit, but I still want to practice the craft. I really want to control my personal energy.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm
When you say "The Craft", what do you consider "The Craft" to be?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:19 pm
When I said "the Craft" I meant it as the art of using Magick. Although it encompasses more than that, I tried to say it in a way that wouldn't make it seem like I'm only in it to make fireballs or fly or something.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:31 pm
Is it safe to assume your use of the K is a result of pop-culture and has nothing to do with Thelema?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm
I don't know about pop-culture, but I haven't heard of Thelema. I thought it was to distinguish pagan magick from the "rabbit-out-of-hat" magic.

But I guess that's another topic to read on. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:46 pm
Context provides the difference between those to- though why pagan magic and illusion are mutually exclusive is beyond me.

Thelema was the religion of Crowley's making. He added the K because he liked the numerology of it.

So- you wanna learn magic.

What do you think deity is?
Where does magic come from?  

TeaDidikai

Zelroth7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:50 pm
Hmm... deity. I'm not exactly sure. I believe that it's two things. One, is something veiwed like a prism, with many different facets, representing all the different gods etc. The other would be everything. I believe that Deity split itself into an infinite number of something that makes up everything. This way it is linked to everyone and everything.

Magic... I believe magic is to put bluntly, a sentient energy. I chooses what it wants to to and to do any form of ritual is to communicate with it. It is deity in it's primal form.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:13 pm
Zelroth7
Hmm... deity. I'm not exactly sure. I believe that it's two things. One, is something veiwed like a prism, with many different facets, representing all the different gods etc. The other would be everything. I believe that Deity split itself into an infinite number of something that makes up everything. This way it is linked to everyone and everything.
This sounds like Monistic Soft Polytheism.

That being the case- how do you explain the deities that have killed one another- hate one another, rape one another etc?

Quote:
Magic... I believe magic is to put bluntly, a sentient energy. I chooses what it wants to to and to do any form of ritual is to communicate with it. It is deity in it's primal form.
That's interesting. What makes energy synonymous with deity?

What about ritual appeals to the awareness of magic?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:21 pm
Zelroth7
Ok, thanks for the information.

Here's a translation of the story: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/mab/mab32.htm

If you're going to take the myth as symbolic, you need to take all of it, not just the bits you like. Yes, it was 366 days to brew knowledge, but it a horrible poison was brewed at the same time - a cauldron full - for three drops of knowledge. Are you willing to carry that cost? Also, the price of gaining the knowledge was being driven for days until you are swallowed and reborn entirely new. Are you willing to die and lose almost all of yourself but those three drops of knowledge?

Yes, it is all knowledge, but the cost is higher than I think anyone would willingly pay. Part of the point of the whole thing was Gwion Bach had no idea what was going to happen; he was told to stir for 366 days. He did so, and so happened to be there instead of the boy who was supposed to get the knowledge. One way of realizing the symbolism of that myth is that gaining knowledge is working hard at something when you don't understand why and so being in the right place at the right time.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 pm
Deoridhe
Yes, it is all knowledge, but the cost is higher than I think anyone would willingly pay.

The Jewel in the Well
Below below-
Far down so low,
There be the sparkling eye-

Behold the shimmer,
In the Well of Mimir,
Remembering life 'fore his cry-

He paid the price,
The draugh chilled him as ice,
At the fate of his beloved son,

Better weight can't be carried,
On the cross roads one tarries,
For the Ol' Man will make you undone.

The pains of that cost
Go beyond the eye's loss,
The Burden of a different sight-

So he wanders the Tree,
With Galder melody,
To make way for the coming fight-

~Hanna S. Winaras  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:18 pm
*coughs* Yes, well, that's just my Old Man.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff