Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
"Mythological Contradiction"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hilaire11

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:56 pm
I've noticed it long before. I just wondered if anyone else has. I mean, don't you sometimes feel that there's something weird the way the gods contradict themselves?

Take for example Hermes. He's the god of commerce, and at the same time the god of thieves.

eek

And even Artemis, who's the goddess of the hunt. Yet she gets angry when someone kills her animals.

Mythological contradiction? xd  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 pm
You know I never thought about that but now that you bring it up that's a good
point.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Lenimph

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 pm
Well they are portrayals of certain aspects of life, and an aspect of life can cover alot of things. So it may seem like there contradicting themselves, but it's just that they represent many things with a common simularity.

That was the answer I thought of for myself, so I would stop thinking about it. xd  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:35 pm
hilaire11
I've noticed it long before. I just wondered if anyone else has. I mean, don't you sometimes feel that there's something weird the way the gods contradict themselves?

Take for example Hermes. He's the god of commerce, and at the same time the god of thieves.

eek

And even Artemis, who's the goddess of the hunt. Yet she gets angry when someone kills her animals.

Ever listen to fair hawkers? Or how about the Jews, who were well known merchants/cheaters? In that time, a merchant was often a thief as well. There was little to no difference.

Also, Artemis got angry when someone killed her animals because that was HER animal and not one she wished to be killed. Wouldn't you be angry if someone killed your pet? Hunters often kept pets of animals they also considered prey.  

Aravilui Tiranistion

Beloved Hunter

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:59 pm
I didn't know that but it does make sense.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 pm
Pheonyx Fire
hilaire11

eek

Ever listen to fair hawkers? Or how about the Jews, who were well known merchants/cheaters? In that time, a merchant was often a thief as well. There was little to no difference.

It's not just the Jews...all merchants were cheats as well...everyone is after profit.

Also, Artemis got angry when someone killed her animals because that was HER animal and not one she wished to be killed. Wouldn't you be angry if someone killed your pet? Hunters often kept pets of animals they also considered prey.

merebookmonkey

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300

Dionysus Bromius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:28 pm
I'm a faire hawker...well, I was. But I wasn't a cheat at any rate. I refused to sell anything that wasn't up to my standards. Ok, that was a tangent. I swear, I do have something actually useful to say!

I hadn't really noticed it as much, but I remember being confused when coming upon places in some of the Greek dramas where a god seemed to act against what they patron (i.e. Dionysus being attributed peace sometimes, but being known for frenzy and occasionally violence). I thought that maybe it was because of variances in the perception of the gods over time and between Greece and Rome, but I also think that there might be a sort of balance to maintain. For example, if Artemis just protected all animals, there would be no meat and a surplus of wild animals. So she is the Goddess of the Hunt to balance. There needs to be frenzy for peace, thievery for commerce, et cetera.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:59 pm
wow...i never noticed...
i actually got another one
hermes is the bringer of luck (i believe) but hes also kind of mischevious...its not exactly contradiction at first sight...but if u think about it its kinda weird...  

Kenamarin_Shukai

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm
Dionysus Bromius
I'm a faire hawker...well, I was. But I wasn't a cheat at any rate. I refused to sell anything that wasn't up to my standards. Ok, that was a tangent. I swear, I do have something actually useful to say!

I hadn't really noticed it as much, but I remember being confused when coming upon places in some of the Greek dramas where a god seemed to act against what they patron (i.e. Dionysus being attributed peace sometimes, but being known for frenzy and occasionally violence). I thought that maybe it was because of variances in the perception of the gods over time and between Greece and Rome, but I also think that there might be a sort of balance to maintain. For example, if Artemis just protected all animals, there would be no meat and a surplus of wild animals. So she is the Goddess of the Hunt to balance. There needs to be frenzy for peace, thievery for commerce, et cetera.

I'd agree with that. It seems like there has to be either a balance maintained by the same god, or two opposing gods.

We even have the same idea with luck...I mean, there is good luck and bad luck, though perhaps because we think we only want the good kind, "lucky" implies good luck.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Aeronn
Dionysus Bromius

I'd agree with that. It seems like there has to be either a balance maintained by the same god, or two opposing gods.

We even have the same idea with luck...I mean, there is good luck and bad luck, though perhaps because we think we only want the good kind, "lucky" implies good luck.

You make a very good point.  

Kenamarin_Shukai

Voltage Purified

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 am
I agree with Dionysus Bromius' idea for Artemis...
My theory for Artemis however is that she's not the goddess of KILLING animals, but of the sport of hunting itself. I'm sure that she can respawn whatever she kills, (or maybe she only slightly wounds the animal) but mortals can't heal their prey which is why Artemis can get upset.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 am
They're Gods. they're the only people in the universe who can have a double standard and not get criticized for it. They have to balance everything out like Dionysus Bromius said.

Blinded By Logic

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 am
Everyone has good explanations.

I'll just throw another one out there, food for thought. Maybe they contradict themselves due to the conglomeration of differing myths about them. When cultures combined, or one civilization adopted another, gods were often merged, and they didn't always match up correctly. One person's god of the sun, for example may be good, while anothers may be harsh and cruel. In that way, you get two very different myths about one God. In one myth, he acts completly out of character. But the point is - gods have no "set" character. They change according to how the civilizations and people see and need them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 pm
GreenInkling
Everyone has good explanations.

I'll just throw another one out there, food for thought. Maybe they contradict themselves due to the conglomeration of differing myths about them. When cultures combined, or one civilization adopted another, gods were often merged, and they didn't always match up correctly. One person's god of the sun, for example may be good, while anothers may be harsh and cruel. In that way, you get two very different myths about one God. In one myth, he acts completly out of character. But the point is - gods have no "set" character. They change according to how the civilizations and people see and need them.

Plus, the Greeks where known to integrate the gods of the people they conquered into their own pantheon.  

Lightwater2520

Greek Mythology Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff