Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Most Obscure In Mythology Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click the dot =^-^=
  Click ME!
View Results

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:23 am
Akherontis
Aeronn
Akherontis

We're kind of used to frequent earthquakes at the moment.

Yes, there are a ton of epithets in the Iliad. I can't believe there's a version without them, they add so much character to the...erm, characters. Editing Homer is a crime against literature.

Did you know that in some places they worshiped Hera as a virgin goddess? A bit odd, considering she's the goddess of marriage, but apparently she visits a spring called Kanathos once a year, to renew her virginity in some sacred rite which none may observe. I do so hate it when people portray her now as an elderly, shrewish woman. She was generally held to be the most beautiful of all the goddesses, including Aphrodite.

Yeah....Hope that calms down for you. sad

Hmmmm, well, it was just the Fagles version, there were epithetic descriptions. But reading Chaucer was more complicated because he actually changed the names up, so those were edited by R.F.
I think the book would be like half the size without them!

Virginity...renewal ceremony? *mind boggles*
Kinda makes sense if you see marriage as being the marriage day, though.
"Shrewish" makes a bit of sense, "elderly" no more than Hades being evil. Let's blame Paris, everyone else did. smile

Paris got what was coming to him, eventually. Although unfortunately, so did all of Priam's other sons (the man had 100 children!), who were mostly blameless.

Yes, virginity renewal. The mind does boggle. And yes, the marriage day and its consecration were important to Hera, although the actual god of the marriage ceremony was Hymenaios, one of the Erotes.

I know, right? Hector and Cassandra are some of my favorite characters in Greek Mythology.

I remember that guy! Never could figure out why he was a guy.
And, hey, I think we've come back to the thread's actual topic. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm
Aeronn
Akherontis
Aeronn
Akherontis

We're kind of used to frequent earthquakes at the moment.

Yes, there are a ton of epithets in the Iliad. I can't believe there's a version without them, they add so much character to the...erm, characters. Editing Homer is a crime against literature.

Did you know that in some places they worshiped Hera as a virgin goddess? A bit odd, considering she's the goddess of marriage, but apparently she visits a spring called Kanathos once a year, to renew her virginity in some sacred rite which none may observe. I do so hate it when people portray her now as an elderly, shrewish woman. She was generally held to be the most beautiful of all the goddesses, including Aphrodite.

Yeah....Hope that calms down for you. sad

Hmmmm, well, it was just the Fagles version, there were epithetic descriptions. But reading Chaucer was more complicated because he actually changed the names up, so those were edited by R.F.
I think the book would be like half the size without them!

Virginity...renewal ceremony? *mind boggles*
Kinda makes sense if you see marriage as being the marriage day, though.
"Shrewish" makes a bit of sense, "elderly" no more than Hades being evil. Let's blame Paris, everyone else did. smile

Paris got what was coming to him, eventually. Although unfortunately, so did all of Priam's other sons (the man had 100 children!), who were mostly blameless.

Yes, virginity renewal. The mind does boggle. And yes, the marriage day and its consecration were important to Hera, although the actual god of the marriage ceremony was Hymenaios, one of the Erotes.

I know, right? Hector and Cassandra are some of my favorite characters in Greek Mythology.

Hera's aunt Aphrodite has an easier time getting her flower back, in that case, guys and ghouls.

In any case, at least one of Priam's children had a few surviving children of their own, that was left in Aeneas' care, right?
That's one of the only silver linings i am going to take note, as both Paris and Agamemnon may as well just murder each other, if one must ask me, but then again, almost no one ever does.
Zeus was the youngest of the Kronians, but at the very least, he has the biggest 'stick' of them all(i mean in weaponry, not in limbs!) so to speak, and he's so infused with said 'sticks' that its not funny.
Not to mention he somehow learned to infuse himself with his grandfather, as well.  

Javier Cross

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 am
Aeronn

Haha, so we have. Or did I plan it all along? User Image

Why wouldn't Hymenaios be a guy? Marriage in ancient times was a male sort of thing, since women didn't really get to choose when they were married, or who they were getting married to. In any case, Hymenaios was one of Eros' chummies, and they were all boys, unless you count Psykhe and Hedone. But they're sort of different, because the story of Eros and Psykhe was more of a fairy-tale than a myth, which the Ancient Greeks themselves didn't really believe in. We don't really see much difference now because it's all fiction to us.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:46 am
Melios the Hoplite
Erosphoros
Akherontis
Erosphoros

You prefer Persephone as Kore, huh? There is something wonderfully refreshing about a chaste marriage in a pantheon where even the king (especially the king...) seems to want to stick his pee-pee in anything that moves.

She was still called Kore even after her marriage, but the main reason is that Hades and Persephone are expected to be a barren couple, because of that whole 'Fisher King' theme. They rule the land of the dead. It also gives a good reason for Persephone having wanted baby Adonis so badly.

"The king and his land are one", right? I guess the queen's fecundity wouldn't matter so much when it comes to the fertility of the land, and being a daughter of Demeter, I'm guessing the Iron Queen was pretty damn fecund. Goddamn oppressive patriarchal values... *grumble*

Wouldn't hurt in the slightest to try. I would love to see what powers the new born would have.

Decay, maybe. Presented as a positive thing. Things must break down to their most basic components when their time is done to be remade anew. In death, we decompose, returning all that made us live to the earth to help green things flourish and grow... Ah, so poetic!  

Erosphoros

Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces