Reply The Constructed Languages Guild
Metric system and Money (s) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shen Trey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:11 pm
has anyone else ever considered making a system of counting and a distance system? also has anyone thought of making a kind of money and how its used? I am very curious to know.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm
Ive debated making a counting system, but I wanted to change the base system, then I decided it might be too complicated, but its still in the air...  

JeSuisMustapha

Shen Trey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 pm
JeSuisMustapha
Ive debated making a counting system, but I wanted to change the base system, then I decided it might be too complicated, but its still in the air...
I see 0.0..... I have a base six counting system its just the easiest for me to use lol  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 am
I have one for Voshla (вошла) but it tends to get very complicated. I desperately need to revise it. The other two languages I have in the works dont have a monetary concept, so that would just be a waste.  

absinthemourning

Anorectic-Pandas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:30 pm
The Bao Chin-jans count on a system of twos.
The numbers are like 2,4,6,8,10 then like a half.
Ex-
2= e
3- e li
4= i
5- i li

The word 'li' of course means 'a half of'.

I haven't thought up currency yet, but I think it would be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:10 pm
I started my language by counting... 1 through 0. They just have ten numbers, so even ten would be a combination word (one zero).

Distance I don't have a word for yet... but it's only for long distances (approximately the length of a soccer field, after about twenty they start relating it to the sun/time of day), shorter measurements they use tools like strings with markings... usually colored for different lengths, so usually they just memorize the color since the distance doesn't have a name (colors vary from household too... so it gets a little confusing) and this is only really used for making things like clothes/weapons/tools/etc. For buildings... well, this is a specialized field and ones trained to do it learn to 'eyeball' it lol... buildings only need to stand for a couple years anyway because they are semi-nomadic.

Yes, this is all very simple, but that's because it has very little importance to them.

As for money, they don't have any of their own (trade/barter/etc.) but DO keep money from other cultures in case they have to deal with them at any time. Not very many people understand how money works, so they usually get ripped off without even realizing it.  

Pistil

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:36 pm
What is base six?

I've never understood the base-## concept...

I know that counting is some sort of base-##...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am
Doppelgaanger
What is base six?

I've never understood the base-## concept...

I know that counting is some sort of base-##...

It's surprisingly simple once you grasp the concept.

We use "base 10" or "decimal" which means we have 10 different digits: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. And when we pass that 9, we have to click back over to 0 and add a 1 on the left making it 10, and so on.

If you had "base 16" or "hexadecimal" then you have 16 different digits: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F. This means that when you pass 9, you go to A, not 10. When you pass F (which is equal to 15), you click over to 10, which actually means "16" in hex.

This is because after the "units place" or "ones place" as it's called in decimal/base10, each preceding number is a multiple of that base. In decimal, we have "10's place" and "100's place" and "1,000's place." So in hex, we'd have "16's place" and "256's place." That's why the 1 in 10 (in hex) means 16 and not 10.

By this logic, base 6 would only have 6 digits and would be "senary." You'd have 0 1 2 3 4 5 only. Thus 10 means "one past 5" or "6." 11 in senary is actually 7, 12 is actually 8, etc.

You can theoretically take your base as high as you want, as there is mathematically no limit. For example, if you say "10" is in base-80, then that 10 actually means "80" as simple as that. Of course, you'd need about 79 different symbols to represent 1 through 79 for that "ones place" and beyond. The lowest base might appear to be base2 or "binary" as you have to have at least 2 different digits in order to count things, right? Well technically, base 1 is the lowest. I don't know the technical nickname for base 1, but many of us just call it "tallying" or "tally marks" where you literally only have a long string of ones, grouped into sections of five for easier counting.

Hope that makes sense?

----

BACK ON TOPIC

I've actually worked out a few realistic measurement systems, but for simplicity I alway stick to base10 counting. I figure... Any race with 10 fingers (two hands) will likely use a base10 counting system, and I don't generally bother with races/species of non-human equivalence.

Also, I always stick to incremental measuring systems, kind of like our metric system, though not always in 10's. For example, there'd be a measure of length called a "bob." Then a "minibob" could be 1/6 of a bob, but a "megabob" would be equal to 6 bobs, or 6 * 6 ( =32) minibobs. That's just an example, though, I don't actually use "bob" as a measurement. Basically, I don't like systems like how 12 inches is a foot, but 12 feet is nothing significant. Nor is 12 miles.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:07 pm
Xeigrich
Hope that makes sense?

Yeah, that makes sense... Sorta... Though I'll think I'll just keep with the English method of counting and measurments... I want my newer conlang to be based on Earth, after all.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:13 pm
My number system is rather easy. I only have the numbers 0-9.

The rest, say ninety-nine would be "nine and a nine". I should think about the hundreds and thousands though.

otherwise it'd be like 1 and a 2 and a 5 and a 7. Yeah, that needs work.

Shameless Faggotry

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:19 pm
I really should come up with one for Ijwe, since I dug it up and it has no numbers. But the Nioran number system is similar to how the Japanese do things.

1 = one
2 = two
3 = three

but then 10 = ten
and 11 = ten and one
and 87 = eight tens and seven

So on, so forth.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 am
I've been decideding whether on not to do this. I really want to make a base-12 number system because of the natural feel and simplicity to it, but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely sweatdrop . But that would meen my characters would most likely have three fingers on each hand, which is not something people can relate to nor something I would have an easy time writing about (as I am thoroughly convinced our ten fingers are the reason humans use base ten, I mean seriously, we even call them digits). SO I remain undecided. Any input?  

JeSuisMustapha

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 pm
Kintarans use a base ten counting system and a coin system (which I made up mostly to say "Hey, look, the smaller ones have less value!"). I don't even remember most of it though sad Is sad. Lïtihla is lacking in number stuff, I think. Don't remember. It's been a while since I worked on it.

JeSuisMustapha
but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely

Haha. You don't know hexadecimal, do you? F in hex is "15" in decimal.

Also, I can count binary on my digits. By doing so, I can get to 1023 on ten fingers wink http://www.intuitor.com/counting/  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm
Forgedawn
Kintarans use a base ten counting system and a coin system (which I made up mostly to say "Hey, look, the smaller ones have less value!"). I don't even remember most of it though sad Is sad. Lïtihla is lacking in number stuff, I think. Don't remember. It's been a while since I worked on it.

JeSuisMustapha
but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely

Also, I can count binary on my digits. By doing so, I can get to 1023 on ten fingers wink http://www.intuitor.com/counting/

Actually, he said Base Six, aka "Heximal" or "Senary," not Hexadecimal. Hexadecimal is "Base Sixteen."

Base Six:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10=6, 11=7, 12=8, 13=9, 14=10, 15=11, 20=12
Basically, you can't use the digit "6" so it starts over as 0 and you 'carry the one.'

Hexidecimal:
0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15, 10=16 ... 20=32

Just wanted to clear that up! I mean, I already basically posted this a few posts up, but that was many months ago, hehe.  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm
Xeigrich
Forgedawn

JeSuisMustapha

Actually, he said Base Six, aka "Heximal" or "Senary," not Hexadecimal. Hexadecimal is "Base Sixteen."

Base Six:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10=6, 11=7, 12=8, 13=9, 14=10, 15=11, 20=12
Basically, you can't use the digit "6" so it starts over as 0 and you 'carry the one.'

Hexidecimal:
0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15, 10=16 ... 20=32

Just wanted to clear that up! I mean, I already basically posted this a few posts up, but that was many months ago, hehe.

Yes, I know the difference between base six and hexadecimal. The point I was making was that you can have more than 10 digits (0-F, or in the case of a base twelve system, 0-C). If you read the full post:
JeSuisMustapha
I really want to make a base-12 number system because of the natural feel and simplicity to it, but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely icon_sweatdrop.gif .

I sure hope I know the difference, I have a test on Thursday...
The only problem we went over today that wasn't on the homework was 0xFEE * 0xBAD. Our teacher has a strange sense of humor.

Sorry to sound petty (because rereading this, I think I sound that way, but I wanted to point out anyway)...

12 is a pretty cool number. Isn't our time system based on .....some kind of Mesopotamian number system that's base 60, or maybe base 20 and then it was 30 that gave time? I'm confusing myself now. Still. 50_12 = 10_60. Coinkydink? Me tinks naught. Is make awrsome.

dramallama nerdnerdnerd. I should spend half as much time studying circuits.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff