Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Hera: Good Goddess, Bad Goddess, or what? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Hera good or bad?
A. Good
63%
 63%  [ 29 ]
B. Bad
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 46

within love

Devout Grabber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 am
To me, Hera is both good and bad. I mean she has a right to be angry. Mainly because of Zeus and all. Any women would get jealous if their man ran off with some random chick. Honestly, Hera sheould take action, but of course she can't. Since Zeus is the King of The Gods, he can punish her again and again.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm
Hera's alright. On one hand, Hera's the goddess of marriage, and here her husband is running off with princesses everywhere. Not to mention she can't really do anything about it besides curse the women and the following children. Perhaps a bit too jealous, but that's alright. After all, she only had two children, and Zeus had, and I'm just making up a number here, ten. rofl If she could divorce Zeus, do you guys think she would?  

XThe Lily Of The ValleyX

Sindavra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:39 pm
I feel that she is 'just' in trying to keep Zeus' attention on her instead of on his Lecherous activities. The only person I pity is Lamia as the other women that Hera actively 'went against' - (can't think of better word) came out better than being turned into a Monster.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 pm
lilypotter1234
Hera's alright. On one hand, Hera's the goddess of marriage, and here her husband is running off with princesses everywhere. Not to mention she can't really do anything about it besides curse the women and the following children. Perhaps a bit too jealous, but that's alright. After all, she only had two children, and Zeus had, and I'm just making up a number here, ten. rofl If she could divorce Zeus, do you guys think she would?

That's a good question... because if she did she would lose her title as the queen of the gods...

I don't think she would, it isn't in her character of what she's supposed to represent.  

Lenimph

Keelan Senpai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:27 pm
Hera Has A Huge Right To Be Angry.Its Just Like In Anyones Case,Nobody Likes To Get Cheated On,So There Is No Reason To Get Mad At Hera.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:38 pm
She would be a pretty good goddess if she wasn't so jealous.  

BlazingInfernoPhoenix

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:42 pm
Kallistea_Rose
I think she has a right to be mad at her promicuous husband because spouces should have a gool level of devotion to the one they're MARRIED to. But she always targets the wrong person. Zeus is a god what mortal woman could resist, she's really really cruel to them. And think about the illegitimate kids, they can't be responsible for what happened yet she wants them dead (so much for fertility when their product is targeted) Look what she did to Callisto, she turned her into a bear so she couldn't see her family or son. BTW I love bears they're so CUTE and that story was cool!

This is why i like Amphritrite and Ariadne somewhat better[although she may have problems, too!]
Tell me that she had no personal grudge against Helen or Helen's mum, or else i am going to have to vent my rage while loading up on epic music by Disturbed!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:31 pm
My problem with her is about her misplaced anger.
She never punishes ZEUS! The children didn't do anything wrong.
Most of his lovers were raped, so THEY didn't do anything wrong.

That's why I don't care much for her.

The ScarIet Witch

4,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm
To me shes one of the most misunderstood goddess's... alot of poeple dont like her nows days because they forget when the myths where written. It was a different age when women had hardly any say at all in what went on in there marriages, little own their mythology! To many women Hera was their embassador. she went though the same things they did... a cheating husband and no power to stop him or diviorce him... shes a queen after all, and that type of spilt would just invite chaos into the court; which Zeus (being the fighter of all chaos)
wouldnt allow.
Sure she attacks the people who where almost always victims but she's a goddess, and its her right to be pissed...
The same can be said of Athena and Medusa...When the girls cant touch the true offenders personally, they must find other ways of taking revenge.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:46 pm
history goddess
To me shes one of the most misunderstood goddess's... alot of people don't like her nows days because they forget when the myths where written. It was a different age when women had hardly any say at all in what went on in their marriages, little own their mythology! To many women Hera was their ambassador. she went though the same things they did... a cheating husband and no power to stop him or divorce him... shes a queen after all, and that type of spilt would just invite chaos into the court; which Zeus (being the fighter of all chaos)
wouldnt allow.
Sure she attacks the people who where almost always victims but she's a goddess, and its her right to be pissed...
The same can be said of Athena and Medusa...When the girls cant touch the true offenders personally, they must find other ways of taking revenge.

I can agree with History Goddess, and i wish to know if its alright to feel that Hera doesn't always hound Zeus' mates[although i have no intention to condone how she hounded Prince Dionysus' mother, the Demigoddess Semele, who was her own great-granddaughter from Ares' side of the family, any more than i can condone the targeting of Hercules' mum, but neither of them are the main point!] as Leda wasn't outrightly hounded by Hera, for instance, plus Hera has some decent receptions for the likes of Athena[her step-daughter, and one of the only step-children Hera has who wasn't an illegitimate child, like most of the other Olympian Goddesses except her sisters and Lady Aphrodite!]

Hera was also raped by Zeus, like most of his mates were[even Leda didn't escape from the raping in one of her encounters with Zeus!] so that's another thing worth noting when considering her.
There is more, but i am not sure if its best for me to help along with adding more, right now.  

Javier Cross

Marie Rouge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:20 pm
alright,yes,i get that Zeus slept with anything that moved.I think this justifys Hera being pissed.

but dude;take it to a marriage counselor!you don't have to curse or kill everyone your husband sleeps with,its not like its their fault!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:44 pm
Marie Rouge
alright,yes,i get that Zeus slept with anything that moved.I think this justifys Hera being pissed.

but dude;take it to a marriage counselor!you don't have to curse or kill everyone your husband sleeps with,its not like its their fault!

Your forgetting what time these myths where written again... lol!
like a woman in that time had any right to talk to anyone else about their marriage to another person! How embrassing that would be for a queen! for someone to know all her secerts and know that the king dosent sleep with her often!
The myths of Hera reflect the issuses and oppression the real women of the time had.
Freedom only existed for a select few... women where not one of those few.  

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Philo_Clio

4,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 pm
Javier Cross

I can agree with History Goddess, and i wish to know if its alright to feel that Hera doesn't always hound Zeus' mates[although i have no intention to condone how she hounded Prince Dionysus' mother, the Demigoddess Semele, who was her own great-granddaughter from Ares' side of the family, any more than i can condone the targeting of Hercules' mum, but neither of them are the main point!] as Leda wasn't outrightly hounded by Hera, for instance, plus Hera has some decent receptions for the likes of Athena[her step-daughter, and one of the only step-children Hera has who wasn't an illegitimate child, like most of the other Olympian Goddesses except her sisters and Lady Aphrodite!]

Hera was also raped by Zeus, like most of his mates were[even Leda didn't escape from the raping in one of her encounters with Zeus!] so that's another thing worth noting when considering her.
There is more, but i am not sure if its best for me to help along with adding more, right now.

Right ON Javier!!! blaugh mrgreen blaugh 3nodding blaugh
People tend to forget she is a victum too!
Zeus asked her, she said no; so he then made himself a bird with a broken wing and when Hera held it to her breast, saying "awww... poor baby..." Zeus returned to normal size and raped her. She was then forced to marry him out of shame because in those times it was a mans world and if he said being raped was your fault, it was. a woman couldnt argue.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:28 am
history goddess
Javier Cross

Right ON Javier!!! blaugh mrgreen blaugh 3nodding blaugh
People tend to forget she is a victum too!
Zeus asked her, she said no; so he then made himself a bird with a broken wing and when Hera held it to her breast, saying "awww... poor baby..." Zeus returned to normal size and raped her. She was then forced to marry him out of shame because in those times it was a mans world and if he said being raped was your fault, it was. a woman couldn't argue.

That in mind, this isn't to say that Prince Dionysus is wrong to distrust her, but again, its not the main point[although he was nearly killed by Hera, many times over!] any more than i would condone the Trojan War acts, for that matter[or afterward when she was trying to get Prince Aeneas and his fellow Trojan survivors killed, and that time wasn't because Prince Aeneas was an illegitimate son of her husband, like his ancestor Dardanus was, but was a prototype son of Aphrodite, whom she wasn't on good terms with, at the time, well...that and he was a cousin to Prince Paris!]

The main point i am trying to go with the matter, is that Hera does have her good moments, regardless of whether or not she would try to get illegitimate children killed[although for the general life of me, i can't recall why she'd try to get Prince Apollo and Lady Artemis killed, once!]
Besides, didn't the example with Jason and the Argonaunts proved anything, for one thing?

I know there's another example worth citing, but i need to know if anyone's ready to list more of them out beyond the meeting with Jason.  

Javier Cross

R A W R_i_RaWrEd

Newbie Sleuth

6,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am
I agree that Hera is good and bad. It depends on who your talking about. Some people she hates. Some she loves. And some she doesn't care.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff