Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Hera: Good Goddess, Bad Goddess, or what? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Hera good or bad?
A. Good
63%
 63%  [ 29 ]
B. Bad
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 46

White Queen Amata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 pm
What do you think about Hera? Most Greek sources hate her (including most modern sources), but she has a right to be angry! I mean, Zeus dates every woman he sees, and Hera gets blamed for being jealous! It time to give Hera credit. Say every good thing about Hera that comes up, or if you disagree, say so! Hera might incinerate you, though!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:33 pm
In a way i do feel sorry for her. But, she also was kind of cruel to zeus` lovers.  

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:13 pm
I suppose she's justified in her anger, but she garners hatred because she takes it out on the wrong people - Zeus' flings and children rather than Zeus himself. Get a backbone, Hera!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 pm
Aeronn
I suppose she's justified in her anger, but she garners hatred because she takes it out on the wrong people - Zeus' flings and children rather than Zeus himself. Get a backbone, Hera!

The last time Hera stood up to Zeus, she was hung upside down from the Heavens by a cord for a day. Admittedly she was being her usual vengeful self that time, but still, you can see why she can't take out her frustrations on Zeus himself. Zeus might be Hera's husband, but he's also her king. You can't defy the King of the Gods, it's the Law (sadly).  

Akherontis
Captain

Lenimph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:35 pm
I wouldn't necessarily call her bad, it's just her bite. I know she has all her right to get jealous... but after he has so many affairs shouldn't she move on and be happy that she is his favorite...

well I am qouting what he said from the Iliad but she was using Aphrodite magic at that point when he said that...

Okay fine she has all the right to be angry. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:41 pm
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call her bad, it's just her bite. I know she has all her right to get jealous... but after he has so many affairs shouldn't she move on and be happy that she is his favorite...

I know Zeus made her his queen, but that doesn't mean she's still his favorite. You know how Zeus forgets all his loves in there time of peril. Io gets chased around by a gadfly while Zeus looks around for another pretty face. Leto's running around trying to give birth but everyone refuses her and Zeus does nothing. (I know I'm quoting bits of Hera's wrath, but hey, she has a right to be jealous!)  

White Queen Amata

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:09 pm
Akherontis
Aeronn

The last time Hera stood up to Zeus, she was hung upside down from the Heavens by a cord for a day. Admittedly she was being her usual vengeful self that time, but still, you can see why she can't take out her frustrations on Zeus himself. Zeus might be Hera's husband, but he's also her king. You can't defy the King of the Gods, it's the Law (sadly).

Oh? I thought when she "distracted" him (with Hypnos!) so Poseidon could rampage during the Trojan war came after that... I think she pretty much got away with it that time...
If she always channeled her creative spirit that way, I'd feel a lot more respect for her.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 pm
Aeronn
Akherontis
Aeronn

Oh? I thought when she "distracted" him (with Hypnos!) so Poseidon could rampage during the Trojan war came after that... I think she pretty much got away with it that time...
If she always channeled her creative spirit that way, I'd feel a lot more respect for her.

But still, she might not always think that way. Plus, she was using Aphrodite magic. Aphrodite might not always be that willing!  

White Queen Amata

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 pm
Greek Triplegoddess
Aeronn
Akherontis
Aeronn

But still, she might not always think that way. Plus, she was using Aphrodite magic. Aphrodite might not always be that willing!

True, true. Still, isn't Hera also a fertility goddess? She ought to have more leverage, you'd think... xp  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:26 pm
Well, she almost never is mentioned in that context.

You do realize I'm going to keep arguing on Hera's behalf until people say something positive about her.  

White Queen Amata

andiemaeve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 am
According to what I've learnt in my university lectures about the goddesses, their power appeared to dissipate with subsequent generations. Knowing this makes me pity Hera, for being trapped in an unhealthy relationship. I'm not sure if I can actually say anything positive about her.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:57 pm
I'm a loyal Hera fan, and I think she has the right to act the way she does. Just try imagining your husband cheating on you - without discretion. Wouldn't you feel the same way? And oh, you're not allowed to get out of the marriage.  

hilaire11

Kallistea_Rose

2,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:56 pm
I think she has a right to be mad at her promicuous husband because spouces should have a gool level of devotion to the one they're MARRIED to. But she always targets the wrong person. Zeus is a god what mortal woman could resist, she's really really cruel to them. And think about the illegitimate kids, they can't be responsible for what happened yet she wants them dead (so much for fertility when their product is targeted) Look what she did to Callisto, she turned her into a bear so she couldn't see her family or son. BTW I love bears they're so CUTE and that story was cool!  
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Greek Triplegoddess
Quote:

I know Zeus made her his queen, but that doesn't mean she's still his favorite. You know how Zeus forgets all his loves in there time of peril. Io gets chased around by a gadfly while Zeus looks around for another pretty face. Leto's running around trying to give birth but everyone refuses her and Zeus does nothing. (I know I'm quoting bits of Hera's wrath, but hey, she has a right to be jealous!)

If she wasn't his favorite do you think he would deal with all of the killings of his lovers. I mean it's not like he went to her and said "I don't love you anymore, I want to be with so and so forever..." They were just faces to him.  

Lenimph

hilaire11

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:29 am
_-GodDeSsfAyefAye-_
Greek Triplegoddess
Quote:

If she wasn't his favorite do you think he would deal with all of the killings of his lovers. I mean it's not like he went to her and said "I don't love you anymore, I want to be with so and so forever..." They were just faces to him.

I guess you do have a point. And I remember an instance when Hera completely walked out of their marriage. As far as I remember, Zeus pretended to marry a statue. Hera was pissed, so she went to the ceremony and was actually delighted when she learned of the trick her husband came up with to get her back.

I just thought that was touching. ^.^  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces