Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "SEF" Sports, Exercise, and Fitness~!
Help me out, please! I'm trying to get in shape Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cranger danger

4,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:28 am
deppfan
Also, try getting some friends or family to do this with you. The more people that work together for a common goal, the more they motivate each other and make the experience more enjoyable. I work out with a group of 7 other people, 6 days a week. If it weren't for the group dynamic, and I had to go it alone, I know I wouldn't have lost anywhere near as much as I have. (30 lbs in 6 months)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You have the best name ever!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:55 pm
CRAZY WHiT3 GiRL
deppfan
Also, try getting some friends or family to do this with you. The more people that work together for a common goal, the more they motivate each other and make the experience more enjoyable. I work out with a group of 7 other people, 6 days a week. If it weren't for the group dynamic, and I had to go it alone, I know I wouldn't have lost anywhere near as much as I have. (30 lbs in 6 months)

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You have the best name ever!

Wow, well you're like only the 3rd person to tell me so. Most people will make stupid comments like... "OMG, Johnn Depp sucks, he's ugly and stupid and blah blah blah." I've gotten so much crap for it on Gaia.  

Deppfan

Pat46rick

Hilarious Shapeshifter

8,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:49 pm
Four years ago I was 30 to 35 pounds overweight.

Since then I've lost all that weight. I'm 26 years old now and I think just being active can make a big difference. I didn't think I would lose weight this fast, but it had a lot to do more with how much I was working than a change in diet. The only change in my diet was cutting the rice I eat in half. I still think I eat a lot. But again, it was the work I was doing that made the difference.

I was teaching, going to school, AND working at an after-school program this past semester, and somehow I lost ten pounds. I was surprised, 'cause I was still eating a lot, so it must have been my activity. It helps to do something active that you love to do!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 pm
deppfan

Yeah, that's a problem with me. I'm going it alone, and it's really hard to stay motivated sometimes. My family pretty much doesn't care. The only person that's semi-helping me is my sister - she'll go on walks with me sometimes.

Wow, 30 lbs in 6 months?? Bravo! I guess that's proof that the group dynamic really does work because I've only lost 15 lbs since I started in January... crying And it really hasn't made that much of a difference either... crying

lol, and I totally agree with CRAZY - your username ROCKS! xd  

Illefyia

Deppfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Illefyia
deppfan

Yeah, that's a problem with me. I'm going it alone, and it's really hard to stay motivated sometimes. My family pretty much doesn't care. The only person that's semi-helping me is my sister - she'll go on walks with me sometimes.

Wow, 30 lbs in 6 months?? Bravo! I guess that's proof that the group dynamic really does work because I've only lost 15 lbs since I started in January... crying And it really hasn't made that much of a difference either... crying

lol, and I totally agree with CRAZY - your username ROCKS! xd

Thanks on both. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am
Keep in mind that in order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in, so keep your calorie in take around 1,200-1,500 when trying to lose. A lot of people find that difficult because they still feel hungry, but that'll go away since your stomach will shrink a bit and you naturally won't need as much food.

Also, what type of exercise have you been doing? Make sure you're mixing it up every once and a while (your diet too) because your body gets too used to the same old thing and that can produce HORRIBLY LONG plateaus in your weight loss.  

die kleine Fee

5,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100

Illefyia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:52 pm
hiding amaranth
Keep in mind that in order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in, so keep your calorie in take around 1,200-1,500 when trying to lose. A lot of people find that difficult because they still feel hungry, but that'll go away since your stomach will shrink a bit and you naturally won't need as much food.

Also, what type of exercise have you been doing? Make sure you're mixing it up every once and a while (your diet too) because your body gets too used to the same old thing and that can produce HORRIBLY LONG plateaus in your weight loss.

lol, I can tell you right now my stomach certainly hasn't shrunk! In fact, it looks like it's expanded... crying How can one lose 15 or so lbs and still look basically the same as they did before??

As for exercise, I don't really have many options. There's no equipment in my house and paying for a gym membership is beyond my means. I usuallly lift weights 3-4 days/week and go for an evening walk of a little under 2 miles every day (it takes about 30 minutes, usually less). I'd cycle, but I don't have a bike - but I'm looking in to getting one. 3nodding

I'd seroiusly love to hear your advice on mixing it up - both diet-wise and exercise-wise! I fear I've hit one of those plateaus you mentioned...I've been at relatively the same weight for about 5 weeks now. It's very disheartening... crying  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:03 pm
Illefyia
hiding amaranth

lol, I can tell you right now my stomach certainly hasn't shrunk! In fact, it looks like it's expanded... crying How can one lose 15 or so lbs and still look basically the same as they did before??

As for exercise, I don't really have many options. There's no equipment in my house and paying for a gym membership is beyond my means. I usuallly lift weights 3-4 days/week and go for an evening walk of a little under 2 miles every day (it takes about 30 minutes, usually less). I'd cycle, but I don't have a bike - but I'm looking in to getting one. 3nodding

I'd seroiusly love to hear your advice on mixing it up - both diet-wise and exercise-wise! I fear I've hit one of those plateaus you mentioned...I've been at relatively the same weight for about 5 weeks now. It's very disheartening... crying

Your stomach looks bigger becaue you've lost weight in other places. It happens. Don't worry... it'll all even out eventually. I still have quite a bit of my stomach that I'd like to lose, but I can see places on my body that I've lost it in that I didn't even know had fat there. Eww.  

Deppfan

R0ssby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:31 pm
Just keep walking and keep positive =) Reduce carbs and eat plenty of greens. Mind you, carbs are important 'cause it gives you energy but you only need so much energy per day right?

I was in the exact same position as you a few summers ago but I wasn't working and I just walked pretty much everywhere I went. Not fast or anything. I lost about 20lbs that year (yet I've gained it back now.. d'oh!).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:49 pm
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied here, either with tips and advice or with their own personal experiences! You've all been extremely helpful! ^^

A little update...I'm currently at 139 lbs, down from 155 when I first started in January. I'm very behind in my goals as I was shooting to be at 130 lbs by the end of this month (July). Something tells me that that's not going to happen. sweatdrop
I'm a bit annoyed with myself, to tell the truth, as I have pretty much come to a standstill in my weight-loss. Is expecting to lose one pound a week too much to ask? I go for a 25-30 min walk every day - should I increase the time/distance? What should I do to get myself to start losing again? Should I invest in a diet program?

Any thoughts anyone might have would be much appreciated! 3nodding  

Illefyia

Sunshine-Girl22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 am
I'm overwieght too, Illefyia, so I feel your pain. crying

Find something you like to do! I love swimming, and that's the best workout for you! It uses all of your muscles, your heart gets going, it's fun, too! blaugh

So, I suggested you go to a pool(Maybe at a YMCA?), and try swimming! 4laugh

Also, if you want some more motivation and tips whenever, you should watch the Biggest Loser. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 pm
Sunshine-Girl22
I'm overwieght too, Illefyia, so I feel your pain. crying

Find something you like to do! I love swimming, and that's the best workout for you! It uses all of your muscles, your heart gets going, it's fun, too! blaugh

So, I suggested you go to a pool(Maybe at a YMCA?), and try swimming! 4laugh

Also, if you want some more motivation and tips whenever, you should watch the Biggest Loser. 3nodding

Swimming, huh? I dunno if I'm ready for that...me and bathing suits don't mix well. sweatdrop I don't even know if there's a pool nearby my house...
BUT, I appreciate the advice. If all else fails, I will look into it. It certainly would be a nice change from all the walking and jogging I do. 3nodding

And funny you should mention the Biggest Loser...I actually subscribe to an e-mail newsletter thingie that's put out by one of the coach/trainer people from that show. It's been helpful. 3nodding  

Illefyia

Drukken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:21 pm
I used to be overeight when I was in my early teens... and suffered a lot beacuse of it. I'm 28 currently, and I can say that losing weight is something to feel good about, but not something to be overly proud or become narcissistic. I tried diets and they worked... for a while. I usually rebounded when, after 3 months of steady weight loss I became tired/discouraged or simply bored and wanted to eat as I usually did.

I learned the hard way: You need to comprimise and change both feeding habits and excersise to change your body. As some fellow Gaians stated above: the key is making it fun - give yourself short term goals and for heaven's sake, chose a sport that's fun and not stressful. I goy into Soccer but became quicly bored, swimming was good but expensive and finally I ended up in martial arts. Capoeira (a brazilian system of fighting and dancing in a game-like mood) was perfect for me, I done a lot of friends there! you should above all seek for the method that adjusts to you, not try to adjust yourself to a system.

Also: Here's a nifty webpage that can help you get started if you are short on money or too far away from a gym or sport field: One hundred push-ups (don't be scared of the title LOL)

keep us posted on your progress and here's hoping you get motivated to be healthy! *hug* smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:36 pm
Hit the tredmills, Jog around neighborhood, Watch what you eat and get out often instead of staying in for hours.

Basiclly, Its stay active outside, excersize and watch what you eat.  

Rear naked choke

Arriana_lynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:38 pm
If you go to Walk away the pounds website it has a ten day challenge. I have already lost 6 pounds and I am on day 8. I am overweight too and I would definintely recommend walk away the pounds, it is a great walk program and I have already seen great results.  
"SEF" Sports, Exercise, and Fitness~!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff