Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Boardroom of E-vil
A little help here... Glossary compilation project...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rivkeh
Crew

7,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:17 pm
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm working on my Zine. This is hopefully going to be distributed to more religious and conservative communities rather than the sub culture, so one of it's regular articles is a glossary of pop and sub culture terms the reader may not be familiar with.

This first issue is going to have an Animae glossary. So far I have "Animae", "Manga", "Hentai", and "Bishi" all laid out. I need help with thinking of more animae terms and their definitions... (like for instance how do you spell "yaoi" and how would you define that?) I need to get this going ASAP.

Thank you all for your help.

heart rivvy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:38 pm
I've never seen the spelling 'animae' before, unless that's either a misspelling or a variant. Question -- is this publication aimed at those unaware of anime and manga, casual fans, or what? The level of familiarity your audience has might require or exempt certain terms.

Here's a few terms I can think of to add--

bishounen, bishoujo, bijin: "Beautiful boy(s)," "beautiful girl(s)," and "beautiful person" respectively. Bishounen is often abbreviated as "bishie" by English-speaking fans. Bishounen are usually found in shoujo manga, whereas their female counterparts tend to grace the pages of shounen manga.

boys' love: A subset of shoujo manga which depicts a romantic relationship between two boys. The focus of boys' love stories is on the emotional elements of the relationship, rather than the sexual. Sometimes called shounen-ai, though that term is obsolete.

ecchi: Japanese pronunciation of the letter 'H', which is the first letter in hentai, and carries lighter connotations. Works labeled as 'ecchi' carry sexual innuendo and themes; however, actual depictions of sexual acts are uncommon and generally not explicit.

girls' love: Similar to the boys' love genre, girls' love stories depict a romantic relationship between two girls. Again, as with boys' love, such stories focus on the emotional elements of the relationship, rather than the sexual. Sometimes called shoujo-ai.

mangaka: The Japanese term for a manga artist. Usually a mangaka does not work alone; rather, he or she has several assistants who may work with tasks such as toning and background art. It is the mangaka's duty to handle the script, (much of) the art, and direction.

seinen: Generally translated as "young men," usually referring to comics aimed at young men ages 17-25. Many but not all seinen titles contain graphically violent or sexual elements.

seiyuu: Japanese voice actor. Some seiyuu are celebrities in their own right, releasing musical albums and occasionally even manga.

shoujo: Generally translated as "young girl," the label applied to the large body of comics aimed at girls approximately 5-16 years of age. Magazines cater to specific subsets of that demographic -- six year olds and fourteen year olds read different magazines, though they may be from the same publisher.

shounen: Generally translated as "young boy," this refers to comics aimed at boys approximately 5-16 years of age. Again, as with shoujo comics, different publications cater to different age subgroups.

yaoi: Japanese abbreviation meaning "no climax, no resolution, no meaning" (Japanese "yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi"), and refers to stories about sexual relationships - often graphic, and often little else but sex - between two men. Usually aimed at young women of approximately the same age as the seinen manga audience.

yuri: Term for stories about sexual relationships - again, often graphic - between two women.

Do you want examples of some of the anime and manga that might fit into these categories? Should honorific suffixes be added as well? If so, then add -chan, -kun, -sama, -san, and -sensei to the list.  

Calli
Crew

Rivkeh
Crew

7,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:23 am
So helpful, thankyou!

This is aimed at people totally unfamiliar with the whole culture, mostly parents, pastors, and "grownups" in general.

The Boardroom of E-vil

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games