Reply The First United Church of Bowie
David Bowie Psychology

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xx Bowie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm
So I was reading my mother's Psychology book and guess what I found!?

Who is the real David Bowie?
We all change how we see ourselves but probably not as much as rock star david Bowie, who, through the yers, has radically changed his looks, clothes, and personal values. For example, Bowie's earlier looks (top photo) and behaviors might be described as having pushed society's limits. Now, however, Bowie is in his 50s and appears quite conventional in hairstyle and clothes (bottom photo), and he has adopted many of society's values, such as getting married. The question is, Which is Bowie's real self?

[[The top photo was of him in the Labyrinth. The bottom photo was of him around Let's Dance. It makes no sense with what they were saying. Haha.]]

Carl Rogers said that his clients often asked questions relatied to their selves: "How do I find myself?" "Why do I sometimes feel that I don't know myself?" "Why do I say or do things that aren't really me?" Rogers developed a clever answer.. BLAH BLAH BLAHHHH..
In working out discrepancies between out ideal and real selves, we may undergo a variety of changes in looks, clothes, and behaviors, such as David Bowie experienced.

It sort of ticked me off to read it. ///:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:34 pm
The anomaly that is 'yourself' cannot possibly be described simply in the manner with which you dress etc., that outward appearance tends to be much more a representation of those aesthetic qualities you find most attractive (and/or find most attractive when fitted with your body type/facial features) at the time than a representation of who you are as a person. This psychology book passage is a good example of people in general attempting to connect Bowie's frequent changes in look to some deep uncertainty about himself, when really he has just a rather short attention span.

Also, I try to distance myself from general Labyrinth-related information, but was that movie not made after the whole Let's Dance era? I agree with you, the text makes no sense in relation to the photographs. May I ask who is the author of this work?

P.S. Excuse me for my incessantly literary language in this post, I have just been perusing many wikipedia articles on and related-to Carl Jung and Friedrich Nietzsche, and it seems those wikipedia contributors who are involved in philosophy enjoy the utilisation of long and at times incomprehensible diction while explaining relatively elementary, even rudimentary concepts. Once again, I firmly offer you my sincerest apologies, and I hope as well as I'm sure you do that my vocabular affliction will wear off post-haste.  

Thin W. Duke

Is Dair
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:07 am
Thin W. Duke
The anomaly that is 'yourself' cannot possibly be described simply in the manner with which you dress etc., that outward appearance tends to be much more a representation of those aesthetic qualities you find most attractive (and/or find most attractive when fitted with your body type/facial features) at the time than a representation of who you are as a person. This psychology book passage is a good example of people in general attempting to connect Bowie's frequent changes in look to some deep uncertainty about himself, when really he has just a rather short attention span.

Also, I try to distance myself from general Labyrinth-related information, but was that movie not made after the whole Let's Dance era? I agree with you, the text makes no sense in relation to the photographs. May I ask who is the author of this work?

P.S. Excuse me for my incessantly literary language in this post, I have just been perusing many wikipedia articles on and related-to Carl Jung and Friedrich Nietzsche, and it seems those wikipedia contributors who are involved in philosophy enjoy the utilisation of long and at times incomprehensible diction while explaining relatively elementary, even rudimentary concepts. Once again, I firmly offer you my sincerest apologies, and I hope as well as I'm sure you do that my vocabular affliction will wear off post-haste.

*Nibbles Thin's ear* I like when you use big words. It makes me feel as if Our babe will be more intelligent than if you spoke like the rest of us. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:05 pm
Darth Crimson Dragan
Thin W. Duke

*Nibbles Thin's ear* I like when you use big words. It makes me feel as if Our babe will be more intelligent than if you spoke like the rest of us. :3

So cute! ^w^  

KIMBOwie

xx Bowie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:47 pm
Rod Plotnik. Mick Jagger's in their also. ):
30 pages before Bowie. Not that I counted...
sweatdrop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:17 pm
haha. i love your avi...and signature!  

SPACEBOY1987

Is Dair
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:40 pm
Of course, you didn't count, 'Tasha. You're psychic. ;D  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 pm
Thank you, ma'am Fantastic. I shall have to remember to avoid that fellow.

@Darth: The little blighter'd better be smart. I diddn't go through all that work to have him for nothing.  

Thin W. Duke

xx Bowie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:54 pm
SPACEBOY1987
haha. i love your avi...and signature!

Thanks. (:
@Crimson: Hahaaa.. of courseee... ninja
@Thin: WELCOME. ;D

The First United Church of Bowie

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash