Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Red August

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 pm
·:Japanese people have some intense foods. I'm here to talk about two:
Wasabi
-and-
Natto.

Wasabi: A green paste made from Japanese horseradish which, I bet, has the potential to kill (or at least do major damage to the senses). Because of its unique chemical composition, wasabi irritates the nasal passage rather than the tongue. Because of this you may feel like you're being put in a gas chamber if you accidentally eat too much. It really doesn't take much to taste it. Even a pea-sized amount is often too much for one piece of sushi.
I love wasabi... I eat it on toast (in an almost invisible layer), on sandwiches, with chips, on shushi, and many, many more things including...

Natto: Fermented soybeans in a styrofoam container. It's kinda like cheesy soybeans mixed with snot. It's really not for the faint-of-hear (or stomach for that matter) but being able to eat it will gain you points if/when you go to Japan. It's often said there that "Real Japanese eat natto" even though many natives despise it themselves. A really good recipe I've found is to stir it with soy, hot mustard, mayonnaise, a tiny bit of wasabi, and a pinch of salt. You spread this on toast and top with mozzarella then bake until the cheese it melted. I'm not to the point where I can eat it on a hot bowl of rice but I hope to get there soon. It's an acquired taste.

It might seem like I eat weird foods just to be more like the cuilture I like, but it's actually because I don't like disliking a food. It makes me feel picky and ridiculous. One thing I won't budge on is meat... some kinds of meat (like chicken on the bone) I just can't eat.

Anyway, what cultural foods have you tried, liked, hated, or heard about?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:39 pm
The wasabi they eat in Japan is a LOT milder than some of the stuff widely available here in the US -- though don't get me wrong, many Japanese like mixing really, really powerful wasabi. Also, especially with sushi, the Japanese custom is not to add wasabi to your food, for if the food was intended to have wasabi, the chef would have put it in there. Some sushi chefs will be displeased if they see you putting wasabi on their sushi.

Natto. You'd have to pay me to get me to eat that junk. It looks like some sort of stretchy, fibery mess pulled out of an alien's massive, throbbing cranium. But you know what? If I were given the choice of Natto or Live Monkey Brains, I'd be chewing on that natto before you can even let go of the plate.

I used to hate eating bone-in chicken, and then one day... I just didn't care anymore. Now-a-days, I'll eat fried chicken, buffalo wings, whatever.

One other nasty food I can think of off the top of my head is sauerkraut. UGH.

I grew up in southeastern Texas, so I have tried a LOT of different cajun dishes and a variety of Mexican foods ranging from genuine Mexican to hardcore Tex-Mex.

Menudo. No thanks to tripe soup. The only way you'll get me to eat tripe is in Andouille sausage, preferably in some type of gumbo or jambalaya (but that's cajun Andouille, which doesn't always include tripe in the recipe).

On the contrary, you can bribe me to do just about anything if you offer enough Tres Leches cake up front. A lot of people I know think that cake soaked with sweet milk sounds nasty and soggy, but the same people will sit there and take a huge bite of cake and take a big drink of milk... So it all ends up soggy in their mouth anyway...  

Xeigrich

Lawrencew
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:18 am
I've tried a lot of freaky Chinese stuff, which might be interesting to you guys. I dunno how freaky you all eat xd Some of the stuff will not be THAT disgusting, or chinese.

I eat stuff like chicken feet, fish eyes, fish lips, duck tongue, fish roe (while it's still inside the fish), fertilised chicken eggs, raw beef, birds nest soup, shark fin, the goo in prawns' heads, raw oysters, dried squid, kangaroo jerky, fish stomach, pig intestines and probably some other stuff.

Some stuff that I always thought was really tame, but some people have told me otherwise include:

Squid, whelks, snails, frogs legs, sushi, smoked salmon(!)

And also, I sometimes eat chicken bones when I can't be bothered to throw them away. I just crunch them and swallow.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:56 pm
Does mystery meat in a bun from a stall in a back alley way in Kunming, China, count? you'd have to be pretty crazy to eat that...then again...there is a reason I take exactly 5 3/4 pills every morning xd  

BloodlvsTxBvtterflies

Lady Peixes

Excitable Witch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:01 am
I think the strangest food I've ever heard of (and I seriously can't wait to try it!) is Surströmming. Surströmming, I s**t you not, is fermented Herring. Its got SUCH a foul odor that it tends to need to be opened underwater. Rotted. Fish. FTW. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:49 pm
Nuclear Jelly Beans
I think the strangest food I've ever heard of (and I seriously can't wait to try it!) is Surströmming. Surströmming, I s**t you not, is fermented Herring. Its got SUCH a foul odor that it tends to need to be opened underwater. Rotted. Fish. FTW. xd

Ah a northern Swede delicacy! The southern Swedes steer clear from it. It is very foul smelling and if you can get passed the smell and enjoy it. Let me know good luck!  

419scambaiterKoko

lili of the lamplight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:23 pm
I love the smelly, sometimes fuzzy blue cheeses - this bothers many of my friends to no end.

Also, I don't know if anyone's had yoghurt soda, but the mint flavor is great on a hot afternoon. In general, middle-eastern foods make me very happy. They're my comfort food, and I really don't know what most Americans find so repugnant about Manaeesh.

I'm all for wasabi. It really clears out the sinuses! I'll eat any sushi you put in front of me. My favorites involve raw quail egg.

I'm fine with saurkraut, I've tried head cheese and liverwurst.

Tongue is delicious with hot green chilis, but I can take or leave menudo.

Exotic fruits make me very happy. There's this green, scaly one (I think it's spelled Cheramoya, but I could be butchering it) that's really good. The inside reminds me of a cross between milk, pineapple and pear.

Basically, I'll try almost anything once, and if I like it, I'll keep eating it. I think it's a Lebanese thing... If other people eat it and it doesn't kill them, it probably is a legitimate food source - let's appropriate it!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:57 pm
where I live it is common to eat guinea pigs....... (I don't like them though it is too cruel Xb) in the jungle some communities eat monkey brain, or piranhas (sp?). Many enjoy cowtongue, but I don't think that is too weird.  

Isis10

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:45 pm
Koko.Dk
Nuclear Jelly Beans

Ah a northern Swede delicacy! The southern Swedes steer clear from it. It is very foul smelling and if you can get passed the smell and enjoy it. Let me know good luck!
This might sound very suicidal, but I wanna try that! xd  
Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff