Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
The GM Guild Welcome Thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
I Qyp. I have been interested in mythology since my childhood days of watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena.

I know those are made p, but I am pretty sure they are the reason for my interest in Mythology, and not just Greek.

I think that will do... I am not one to talk about myself.

I loved those shows too. They may have been my inspiration to learn Greek Mythology, although I also had quite a few mythology books with amazing illustrations, and those were definitely influences too.

Anyway, I'm not so fussed over the fact that Xena and Hercules played it fast and loose with myth and history. It was still awesome. Well, Xena did kind of peter out in later seasons, and began to get a little too silly. But I remember it fondly for the earlier episodes.

Yes yes, I agree. They were both awesome shows... Kevin Sorbo was funny at times.

The episodes I remember the most from Hercules, was that gold deer centaur, I forgot the name of it, but it had the blood to kill gods. Then there was the one where they were in modern times... another was the hydra. That one is hard to forget, also, the hydra looked AWESOME.

Xena, I remember her being in china as a warlord, or something like that... it's all muddled up now.

I should try to find it all on DVD. Also did you know that the guy who played Iolaus, is now the director of Spartacus: Blood and Sand?

I did. I'm not such a big fan of Spartacus, it seems like little more than excessive pandering to the 300 crowd.

You're thinking of the Hind, based on the Elaphoi Khrysokheroi (Golden Hinds) of Artemis, who pulled her chariot, except for one, the famous Kerynitian Hind of Hercules' labour.

The mythological hinds were fully deer, with golden horns (gold was Artemis' colour, and silver was Apollon's, contrary to popular belief which ascribes silver to Artemis and gold to Apollo due to their solar and lunar associations). The blood of the hinds certainly had no power to kill the gods.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 pm
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
I Qyp. I have been interested in mythology since my childhood days of watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena.

I know those are made p, but I am pretty sure they are the reason for my interest in Mythology, and not just Greek.

I loved those shows too. They may have been my inspiration to learn Greek Mythology, although I also had quite a few mythology books with amazing illustrations, and those were definitely influences too.

Anyway, I'm not so fussed over the fact that Xena and Hercules played it fast and loose with myth and history. It was still awesome. Well, Xena did kind of peter out in later seasons, and began to get a little too silly. But I remember it fondly for the earlier episodes.

Yes yes, I agree. They were both awesome shows... Kevin Sorbo was funny at times.

The episodes I remember the most from Hercules, was that gold deer centaur, I forgot the name of it, but it had the blood to kill gods. Then there was the one where they were in modern times... another was the hydra. That one is hard to forget, also, the hydra looked AWESOME.

Xena, I remember her being in china as a warlord, or something like that... it's all muddled up now.

I should try to find it all on DVD. Also did you know that the guy who played Iolaus, is now the director of Spartacus: Blood and Sand?

I did. I'm not such a big fan of Spartacus, it seems like little more than excessive pandering to the 300 crowd.

You're thinking of the Hind, based on the Elaphoi Khrysokheroi (Golden Hinds) of Artemis, who pulled her chariot, except for one, the famous Kerynitian Hind of Hercules' labour.

The mythological hinds were fully deer, with golden horns (gold was Artemis' colour, and silver was Apollon's, contrary to popular belief which ascribes silver to Artemis and gold to Apollo due to their solar and lunar associations). The blood of the hinds certainly had no power to kill the gods.

Well, I would think not. It did seem made up, considering I remember in the show Hercules fulling in love with one? Or am I mixing something up?

And THE MORE YOU KNOW!  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:34 pm
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp

Well, I would think not. It did seem made up, considering I remember in the show Hercules fulling in love with one? Or am I mixing something up?

And THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Indeed.

And knowing is half the battle. 3nodding

You'd think people would be more aware of it, since some of Apollon's most famous epithets indicate his love of silver, i.e. Argyrotoxos: of the silver bow. Likewise, all references to Artemis' chariot, bows and arrows describe them as all-golden.  
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 pm
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp
Akherontis
Qyp

And THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Indeed.

And knowing is half the battle. 3nodding

You'd think people would be more aware of it, since some of Apollon's most famous epithets indicate his love of silver, i.e. Argyrotoxos: of the silver bow. Likewise, all references to Artemis' chariot, bows and arrows describe them as all-golden.

Wait, does Apollo and Artemis love each other? That would explain the love for the colours of their opposite. As in, Apollo loves the silver moon, and Artemis loves the Golden Sun?

Also, it could explain the sayings "silence is golden" and something about a silver tongue. I keep forgetting how it goes. Night time is a time of silence, while day time is loud and full of activity. Armetis needs quiet to hunt, while Apollo loves to sing, etc.  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 pm
Qyp

Wait, does Apollo and Artemis love each other? That would explain the love for the colours of their opposite. As in, Apollo loves the silver moon, and Artemis loves the Golden Sun?

Also, it could explain the sayings "silence is golden" and something about a silver tongue. I keep forgetting how it goes. Night time is a time of silence, while day time is loud and full of activity. Armetis needs quiet to hunt, while Apollo loves to sing, etc.

No, they're brother and sister. And, apart from the myth of their birth and the various missions they are sent on by their mother Leto, Apollon and Artemis have rather little to do with one another.

As for the sun and moon thing...well, I direct you to this thread.  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm
Hey all! Im Victarii you can call me Rii or Arii. Whatever works XD

I have always been obsessed with greek mythology, it seemed more realistic than a lot of the theories people come up with now a days. And as i grew older and learned more i decided there has to be some truth to it, so for everyone who is curious, i believe in the greek gods with all my heart. yes as a religion. So i'm glad to be in a community of people who are psyched about it too!  

l-Alpine-Aphrodisiac-l

Romantic Lunatic

8,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Divine Moonstone

Fashionable Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am
*clears throat*

Greeting mortals. I am Nyx, primordial goddess of the night. This here *points to her side* is my son Hypnos. I would love to introduce my daughters Keres, but they are roaming the battlefields at the moment. Perhaps another time.

Thank you for inviting me into your pantheon. I am very pleased to see mortals still pay homage to us.

95% of the time I am Rping, but you can tell by how I write. just giving you guys a heads up..  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 am
xllJesterllx

I have always been obsessed with greek mythology, it seemed more realistic than a lot of the theories people come up with now a days. And as i grew older and learned more i decided there has to be some truth to it, so for everyone who is curious, i believe in the greek gods with all my heart. yes as a religion. So i'm glad to be in a community of people who are psyched about it too!

Change your gaia name to Victarii...

AND GREETINGS PAGAN. I do not believe in Greek gods. To many versions of the same story... way to many.

But, to each their own. WELCOME!  

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

Qyp

Manly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:47 am
Lady Nyxia
*clears throat*

Greeting mortals. I am Nyx, primordial goddess of the night. This here *points to her side* is my son Hypnos. I would love to introduce my daughters Keres, but they are roaming the battlefields at the moment. Perhaps another time.

Thank you for inviting me into your pantheon. I am very pleased to see mortals still pay homage to us.

95% of the time I am Rping, but you can tell by how I write. just giving you guys a heads up..

You are better off being OOC here... but up to you... No body will care, but some might get confused XD

WELCOME!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 am
Qyp
xllJesterllx

Change your gaia name to Victarii...

AND GREETINGS PAGAN. I do not believe in Greek gods. To many versions of the same story... way to many.

But, to each their own. WELCOME!

My Gaia name will stay xllJesterllx Thank you however for the idea. smile I understand that there are way to many versions of the same story, but that may be just because it was told through words generation by generation. They did not have a book with the stories of that religion at that time, so of course there will be variations based on who was hearing it, because we all perceive things differently. Regardless, thank you for the warm welcome.

- Victarii  

l-Alpine-Aphrodisiac-l

Romantic Lunatic

8,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Gurotsuki

Scurvy Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 am
Hello. I just joined. Nice to meet you all.
In Asia, it is godly hard to study Greek mythology so I think joining this guild will be a great help.
Good day/night. =]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:50 pm
Hello. Joined a little while ago.

I joined on account of the fact that I adore Greek mythology and am looking to research more on what relationships the gods, especially minor gods, have with each other.  

Urgencys H e r e Now x

forecourts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:05 pm
"Hello, immortals.. I am Morpheus, the god of dreams and leader of the Oneiroi. I have been here for some time, but my duty is to attend to the dreams of the mortals, excuse me for my delay."  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 am
For an introduction, I suppose I'll start by saying that my name is Jenny. ^^ I live in Michigan in the USA and am of Indian (the country India) descent.

I've always been interested in Greek Mythology. I got more into it when I started reading a book series by Rick Riordan called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Is there anyone who has heard of it? Yes; no? Well, I fell in love with the Greek myths and have wanted to learn more about it, especially legends pertaining the minor gods and goddesses.

tinytrrtle

Desirable Genius

9,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Friendly 100

Notus the South

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm
Hey, I've known about this guild for awhile, but eh, I'm lazy. I do really love Greek mythology though. I just really like mythology in general. Awhile back Akherontis got me back into Greek mythology, especially the minor Gods, especially the Winds.

I got really inspired after that, art, and even a graphic novel idea followed. But I'm not good enough yet to pull that off, not artwise or knowledgewise. I can fix the knowledge part here a bit I figure.

As for the avatar I picked up Notos awhile back as an RP character and yeah, I really like him now... despite the complete lack of information to work on, but that makes it more fun in a way. And yeah,despite the username I tend call him Notos, but that was an impossible name choice on Gaia apparently though so I had to go with the Romanized Notus which I'm still trying to get used to.

So, yeah if you got through that grammatically horrible ramble of an introduction of mine, hello.

Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff