Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply [ANIME] - A place exclusively for the DN anime. Post anime-related threads here.
Death Note's getting dropped...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caffeine add!ction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:40 am
[ Feel free to delete this as there's another thread. Oops. n__n; ]
So, as I always do on Thursdays after watching a poor quality sub of the newest episode on Wednesday evening, I check Deathfan.com for the latest downloadable sub and Kuro-hana as well if DF doesn't have it up yet.

And I almost screamed when I discovered that the majority of sites that are subbing and distrubuting Death Note have recieved letters from VIZ Media telling them to cease and desist.

Kuro-Hana Subs
Sad news to inform all off our watchers for Death Note.

We have just received a C&D(Cease and Desist) from VIZ Media stating for us to stop all distribution of Death Note by 22nd June 2007.
(This letter has also been served to Animanda, c1anime? & Several Death Note fan sites.)

As most of you know we have been subbing Death Note since it got licensed back at episode 12, starting from ANFS and working our way to Kuro-Hana.

We have decided to stop subbing/distributing Death Note by the 22nd of June.

Death Note 36/37 MIGHT be done by us, depending on how we go about this, if not, expect to see another group rise up.

I honestly can't believe how furious I am right now.
It's literally only two episodes before the end of the anime series, and now VIZ decides to tell them to stop, when DN has actually be liscenced since Episode 12. And it says to stop by June 22nd, so that means, hey, they can get one more episode out legally, but not the last one. ¬¬

If those two episodes don't get released online eventually I am going to be so effin' upset.

If it wasn't for DN being US dubbed this probably wouldn't have happened, at least not so soon. -_-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 am
Welcome to the world of liscenced anime. I can understand the frustration of the "only two episodes left" thing, but this is how these things work. It's not uncalled for for Viz to do this, and I'm actually surprised that they didn't do it sooner.  

RionaDaidouji
Vice Captain

caffeine add!ction

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:22 am
[Urk, sorry I didn't post in the right forum. :/ And that there's already a thread about this here. xD Feel free to delete.]

I know it's not uncalled for, but the fact that they didn't do it sooner is possibly what irks me more. If they'd done it sooner, I probably wouldn't have got as 'into it' as I am now. :/
But at the same time they probably decided to wait until right before the end so people would be more compelled to watch the last episode in English. rolleyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm
It's stupid because it'll take like 4 years for it to fully get to America!!  

the_noodle

RionaDaidouji
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:23 am
the_noodle
It's stupid because it'll take like 4 years for it to fully get to America!!

Tell me about it. I'm STILL waiting for the official release of the Hikaru no Go manga to catch up to where the scanalations were dropped.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:20 am
I'll be dead by the timeit comes here!!
I think that WE should sue THEM for not bringing the shows here fast enough. It's their own fault! Most fans don't even watch dubbed so why waste the time doing it?  

the_noodle

RionaDaidouji
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:33 pm
Some people don't like to read subtitles, which makes dubs a necessary evil.

I dunno, I'm split on the subs versus dubs issue. Most of the time I preffer subs, but there are some dubs that are okay. (i.e. the ones that the ONLY argument against them is usually "It's too different from the Japanese!".) I think we should give it a shot before deciding in advance that it's going to suck.

As for sueing them, we wouldn't have a basis for it. It would be a waste of time and money.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:10 am
I much prefer subs. I mean, if there was an excellently dubbed anime then I'd sure as heck watch the dub instead, but it's just the fact that a lot of dubbings these days are poor quality. Like when I actually watched Naruto on TV, I cringed (And wahey, it's dubbed by VIZ. Good God.), and the voices in Yugi-Oh make me want to rip off my ears sometimes. :/ (Though I've not actually seen the Japanese versions of either of those. They bore me, so. x.o) If VIZ were to actually present us with good voice actors for Death Note, I wouldn't mind nearly as much, but judging by that trailer on the website, I don't think that's going to be the case.

caffeine add!ction

RionaDaidouji
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 pm
See the thing is, though, I actually like Light's English voice actor so far. Sure, he's not as good as the original Japanese, but he isn't horrible. As stated in my last post, the biggest argument I heard against him is "His Japanese voice actor is so much better!".

I dunno, I haven't watched much of the anime, so the only comparison I have is the voice I imagined him with while reading the manga. So I guess I just don't have to deal with the same disapointment as people who have already watched the anime in Japanese.

Though to be completely honest, I am still wishing that ADV will come out of the shadows, bonk Viz on the head, and buy the rights off of them. I have rearely seen ADV mess up, so I would have more peace of mind with them in charge.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 pm
lol I already got my 36 and 37 so this does'nt really matter to me.  

Groovin Magic

The Illusive Fish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 am
this is why have limewire and deathnote.tv lol  
[ANIME] - A place exclusively for the DN anime. Post anime-related threads here.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games