Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
Would a sport martial-artist beat a traditional in the ring? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keyboard Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:18 pm
Uggae
In the ring a sport martial artist would beat a TMA Because sport martial arts are designed for the ring. however in the street the TMA would preform much better because he wouldn't be trying to score points but instead be trying to whoop a** a TMA tends to have a better common sense in real fighting I know this because I'm a TMA and i have beaten the crap out of at least one or more sport martial artist before in some friendly sparing mostly cause the sport martial artist in question kept going for flashy easy to read moves which ended up getting him body slammed (on a mat in my colleges martial arts class) he also tryed to take me to the ground so when he grabbed i picked him up and held him in the air till he gave up. thats just my experance though .

I'm assuming that the "sport" fighters were those slap and stop point sparrers...cause I seriously doubt that a boxer, kickboxer, Thai fighter, kyokushin karateka, or MMA fighter would've executed "flashy easy to read moves".

I'm also assuming you've completely ignored the posts that pretty much refute your argument.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 am
I view this one way a true martial artist need not know who is the best and or worst they just need to understand and see that they have brothers and sisters that are just different from each other.
A true martial artist is one who doesn't fight and takes the path least followed.  

Vicious_Truth
Captain

mindsage25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:24 pm
Mangafairy
I was wondering the other day, generally speaking of course 'Would a sport martial-artist beat a traditional in the ring?' I also wondered if a Sport martial-artist would loose on the street without rules.

I decided that a sport MA would win in the ring, of course it would. The sport MA is trained to get points and aim for certain spots to get the most. While if a traditional tried doing any teqniques other than basic attacks (kicking, punching etc) he would be stopped. Traditional MA are to kill, that is basically it. They have been dampened down recently as there is less need for them to kill.

But a sport MA I believe might lose on the street because there are no limitations.

I am interested to hear your views...fell free to press views that are not your true opinions, it makes it more interesting.

EDIT: I firmly believe that it is a topic that will never be proved in favour of one or the other.
even the karate that we know and love now days are completely differnet from what was around say...15 years ago... shoto-kan for example is a cross breed from the original two schools...he simplifyed that to make it a "sport" for schools ...not a fighting art so much as it has been...alot of the martial arts out there have strong points to them...but after you really take a look at them all it really is...well just a sport..sorry to say it but the accual truth is traditional martial artist were learning how to kill or acheive a higher purpose...were doing it for "sport" which do you think would accually win?

id put my money on the traditonalist  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 am
mindsage25
Mangafairy
I was wondering the other day, generally speaking of course 'Would a sport martial-artist beat a traditional in the ring?' I also wondered if a Sport martial-artist would loose on the street without rules.

I decided that a sport MA would win in the ring, of course it would. The sport MA is trained to get points and aim for certain spots to get the most. While if a traditional tried doing any teqniques other than basic attacks (kicking, punching etc) he would be stopped. Traditional MA are to kill, that is basically it. They have been dampened down recently as there is less need for them to kill.

But a sport MA I believe might lose on the street because there are no limitations.

I am interested to hear your views...fell free to press views that are not your true opinions, it makes it more interesting.

EDIT: I firmly believe that it is a topic that will never be proved in favour of one or the other.
even the karate that we know and love now days are completely differnet from what was around say...15 years ago... shoto-kan for example is a cross breed from the original two schools...he simplifyed that to make it a "sport" for schools ...not a fighting art so much as it has been...alot of the martial arts out there have strong points to them...but after you really take a look at them all it really is...well just a sport..sorry to say it but the accual truth is traditional martial artist were learning how to kill or acheive a higher purpose...were doing it for "sport" which do you think would accually win?

id put my money on the traditonalist

Nice view... 3nodding  

Mangafairy

Kitsune_Moon230

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:54 pm
The sports fighters would probably be in better physical condition, but a traditional martial artist I believe would most likely be wiser.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:09 pm
Kitsune_Moon230
The sports fighters would probably be in better physical condition, but a traditional martial artist I believe would most likely be wiser.

Wisdom can't help you in a fight.
Furthermore, if a TMA uses ancient/old techniques, odds are, he'll be in better physical shape than a sport-fighter.

I think that the Sport would win, though, since the TMA wouldn't be used to wearing heavy padded gear and would also have restricted movements/targets/techniques.

The Draken

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:49 pm
[draken]
Kitsune_Moon230

Wisdom can't help you in a fight.
Furthermore, if a TMA uses ancient/old techniques, odds are, he'll be in better physical shape than a sport-fighter.

I think that the Sport would win, though, since the TMA wouldn't be used to wearing heavy padded gear and would also have restricted movements/targets/techniques.

"Ancient/old techniques" are usually BS.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:02 pm
Whatever.......wisdom (smarts) has a lot to do with fighting. You can't just jump right into a fight without using your head.  

Kitsune_Moon230

Keyboard Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:42 pm
I swear, its like trying to reason with a wall here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:23 pm
Kitsune_Moon230

Practicing ancient etiquette from foreign countries does not make one wise. In fact, it might actually be a really dumb thing to start acting like people did back then, as things were different back then.

Of course if you were talking about common sense, then still, no, TMA still loses.  

Mr. Cynical

Tatsuya_Kawajiri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:43 pm
No way guys, I've seen a TKD fighter beat a Muay Thai fighter, IN THAILAND!  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:20 am
Mangafairy
Shin2
ghostpalm
A sports martial artist would of course beat a traditional martial artist in the ring because the sports martial artist would be trained specificly to earn points through techniques.

A sports martial art such as contemporary wushu is all about nailing down your nandu or..."difficulty moves" which can be 540 twists, aerials, lotus kicks, etc. A traditional martial artist would not be trained to earn points, but to train to fight.

It really depends on the competitors or the competition/tournament held
True

It always depends on the people we use as examples, I definitely agree. Trained to fight for real.
I train with both because I am currently studying under different instructors and I can tell you this EACH side has its own advantage and disadvantage!

heres a few examples to get your mind souring into the right direction

alot of sports athlete martial artist (esp mma) consider conditioning top priority 2nd to none. They tend to take a step rather than slide there feet.

traditional will focus more on strength of technique and mind/body generally speaking of coarse! there is a Chinese style where they condition themselves to fully understand the strength of their own spirit!

Over all a fight is a fight. A man/woman/transgender/ninja turtle with all the disadvantages can come out on top! That is why its called a fight.

I consider it a hard call to make because i have trained with both and have lost/won with both. biggrin xp

Overall they both have a place...and I could put my money down on either one.....although I have more of a soft spot for traditional...esp since my style is based on adaptation haha  

mindsage25

mindsage25

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:34 am
what do you mean by "beat in the ring" cause im not going to expect to walk out on a tennis court and wipe the floor with the college tennis team captain!

pirate  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces