Submit

Odd, no?
  Aye
  Nay
View Results

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 pm
zz1000zz
The idea of traveling outside our solar system is possible, but there is nothing to indicate it will ever happen. There is no reason to believe we will ever colonize other solar systems, other than "we could."

Hun, we evolved in less than 4.567 billion years. He have even more time than that to get out of the solar system. the only thing that would stop us would be the judgment day.

Quote:
Even if we could leave our solar system, we can still logically conclude mankind will eventually die. Entropy in an enclosed system tends to increase, and that alone is enough to guarantee the universe's destruction. At least we can guarantee such under our current understanding of the universe (who knows what may change).

After Sol goes Red giant (at which the earth will still be semi-hospitable, I might add), we still have upwards of 19 billion (though most think it to be somewhere along the lines of 37 billion years).

Quote:
(Incidentally, it is quite possible Earth will be inhabitable before the sun dies due to the difference in energy output.)

The earth will be inhospitable long before the sun dies. However, the number I put forth was the number of years until the sun reaches Red Giant, which, assuming that we haven't screwed up the planet ourselves, would leave the earth still semi-hospitable (assuming that technological advances between here and the next 5 billion years have allowed for self-contained structures).

please remember that the numbers I am using are billions. Not hundreds, not thousands, not millions. That's 1,000,000,000. 10^9.

a sense of scale:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Cube a is a cube. In cube B, there are 1,000 of Cube A. In Cube C, there are a thousand of cube B. In cube D, there are a thousand of Cube C, or, 1 billion of cube A.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:02 pm
In all honesity, my boyfriend and I both think that judgement day is going to come before that. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those scary homeless guys walking around in New York telling people the world is going to end today, but just think about it. AIDS, Cancer, earthquakes, hurricanes getting worse and worse. Weather conditions going crazy, church orginizations having their pastors turn out to be not very good men at all. Each year, more and more people die, it doesn't get better, it gets worse. The more and more scientists try to play God, the worse everything gets. Now maybe I am being crazy, but to have 2 of my friends and one person I know have their fathers all die within almost a week of eachother, and the possiblility of one of them dying of cancer in the next few months, that is very very scary.  

Maribell Alexander

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm
Maribell Alexander
In all honesity, my boyfriend and I both think that judgement day is going to come before that. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those scary homeless guys walking around in New York telling people the world is going to end today, but just think about it. AIDS, Cancer, earthquakes, hurricanes getting worse and worse. Weather conditions going crazy, church orginizations having their pastors turn out to be not very good men at all. Each year, more and more people die, it doesn't get better, it gets worse. The more and more scientists try to play God, the worse everything gets. Now maybe I am being crazy, but to have 2 of my friends and one person I know have their fathers all die within almost a week of eachother, and the possiblility of one of them dying of cancer in the next few months, that is very very scary.

Much of this is nothing new. People have been doing this exact same thing for almost two thousand years now, and we are still around.

(And Cometh, i do know all of that. However, logically we can conclude mankind will eventually die. If nothing else, entropy guarantees the universe will eventually die out. Even if it seems like an eterenity until it happens, the point is still valid as long as there is an "end.")  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:50 pm
So, zz1000zz... our conclusion is what, then?  

The Noble Protoman.exe

Cycopaethic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:28 pm
ok... I've looked over the discussion/debate/topic/whatever you wish to think of it as... and been asked by an associate of mine to post on such...

I would ask that nothing said be directly taken out of context... for out of context anything said no matter how valid, may be seen as wrong because of such...
note: I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be one... so anything I say while most likely correct there may be some minor errors...
also please excuse any spelling or grammar errors I didn't feel like running this all through a spelling and grammar checking program

the idea that humanity would eventually become non-existant with or without divine intervention is entirely plausible, and quite likely given how petty it is as a whole (not to mention how vile individuals are capable of being)... add in entropy and a few other factors no problem seeing humanity wipe itself out... but that's besides the point...

the possibility of inter stellar travel before the extinction of sol also somewhat feasible... provided humanity doesn't kill itself off before then... but that is again besides the point...

speaking in regards to the main subject, which is the bit about the rapture happening directly before the sun explodes destroying earth (but since we cannot know when the rapture will happen it will not happen because we "figured out" when it will happen)... obviously we cannot actually know when the sun will die and destroy the earth... after all there are many factors to be taken into account in regards to the sun itself many of which I doubt are currently fully understood after all human knowledge is finite... but to avoid any insipid arguments relating to how much humanity knows of the stellar life cycle I'll also point out that beyond that which is directly relating to the sun as an isolated entity there are also many things in the universe which could potentially effect the end the world that humanity could find far less easy to predict, such as cosmic impacts, blackholes and any number of other things which could quite practically come out of nowhere... but again I digress from the main topic which is that since we "know" when the end of the world occur we can stop the rapture via "logic"... biblically speaking the absolute least amount of time prior to the end of the world that the rapture could take place would be at least 1007 years (lest I be mistaken)... 7 years for the tribulation directly after the rapture... and the 1000 years for the millenial reign... after which is the the battle of armageddon, destruction of the current earth and then the new heaven and new earth...

more directly to the subject of the rapture itself... prior to it there will be signs which will indicate it's approach... meaning we will actually be given advanced warning but the exact instant will be still unknown... hm... I suppose an adequate example of what I'm talking about is when you're watching a movie for the first time... and due to some clues within the movie (spoilers that you've heard or something else whatever it may be) you become aware that something will happen (someone is gonna die, something blows up, the villian is revealed to be someone which has already been introduced, whatever)... so you know it's gonna happen but you don't know exactly when it could be just prior to the occurence that you're expecting but you're still unnaware that it will happen just then... so just like the rapture you know what's gonna happen, you know it's comming, you're anticipating it's arival, you could even suspect when it might happen, but you don't actually know when it will happen untill it does...
I think I've said all I've meant to... though I may have missed something somewhere... but to err is human so 'tis not like I'm expecting perfection...
ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 pm
zz1000zz
(And Cometh, i do know all of that. However, logically we can conclude mankind will eventually die. If nothing else, entropy guarantees the universe will eventually die out. Even if it seems like an eterenity until it happens, the point is still valid as long as there is an "end.")

No, because the exact verse is
Matthew 24: 36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Note the verse never says 'no one will know the latest hour at which God could come'
This means that, all we really know is that God won't show up the exact very last moment before the universe goes bye-bye. All time before this is fair game, because we would never actually know whether or not God is going to come after that moment that we are currently experiencing.  

ioioouiouiouio

promised_child

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:16 pm
anybody read revelations? it says humans will still be here when God comes for us, and for 7 years after that and then for 1000 years after judgement day  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 pm
My bet is 5$ that god will come back 1 minute after 5 o clock on March 22, 2074

I kid lol.

I dont think we should worry about the end of the world. If your heart is ready and you walk with Him, then it's not like it matters when.  

AoiNamida

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
zz1000zz

No, because the exact verse is
Matthew 24: 36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Note the verse never says 'no one will know the latest hour at which God could come'
This means that, all we really know is that God won't show up the exact very last moment before the universe goes bye-bye. All time before this is fair game, because we would never actually know whether or not God is going to come after that moment that we are currently experiencing.

The logic used to eliminate the very last moment can be used for every other moment to. Every time you remove a moment as a possibility, you reset the scenario as just a little shorter. The first time we examine the possibilities, we eliminate one moment. The next time, we eliminate the moment before that. The next time, the moment before that, and etc.

The Noble Protoman.exe
So, zz1000zz... our conclusion is what, then?

If we find no flaw in my argument, the conclusion must be that Judgement Day will come after all humans are already dead. Incidentally, that really would not change much of anything, aside from eliminating the need for doomsday predictions.

(Sheesh, just a little time between my posts, eh?)  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff