Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm
Mr. Cynical

Zealth
You could say that we practice fencing at full speed and full contact, so I do have a leaning towards such things when speaking of Martial Arts. Waving your arms around and... apparently knocking out all of your students is not a Martial Art. That is a badly choreographed fight scene not worthy of stage play. However, such video "evidence" is not representative of Aikido or those who practice it on a whole.

No, but the average practioner of the MA determines it's effectiveness. As it turns out, Aikido has one of the lowest effectivness, due to esoteric beliefs, stubbornness to evolve, and of course bad training methodiology.

I don't think that he's necessarily disagreeing that Aikido isn't effective because of those reasons Cyn (or atleast he hasn't) but rather is saying that chi blasts and no touch ko's aren't a ubiquitous practice in most Aikido schools. Plus, isn't there a general consensus that the master in the video isn't an Aikido practioner?

I like what Zealth has to say, seems intelligent and knows what he's talking about and a fencing background adds variety and a new perspective; I think if there's any hostilities or disagreement it's mostly misinterpretation or semantic details.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:45 pm
TaeKyon
Mr. Cynical

Zealth
You could say that we practice fencing at full speed and full contact, so I do have a leaning towards such things when speaking of Martial Arts. Waving your arms around and... apparently knocking out all of your students is not a Martial Art. That is a badly choreographed fight scene not worthy of stage play. However, such video "evidence" is not representative of Aikido or those who practice it on a whole.

No, but the average practioner of the MA determines it's effectiveness. As it turns out, Aikido has one of the lowest effectivness, due to esoteric beliefs, stubbornness to evolve, and of course bad training methodiology.

I don't think that he's necessarily disagreeing that Aikido isn't effective because of those reasons Cyn (or atleast he hasn't) but rather is saying that chi blasts and no touch ko's aren't a ubiquitous practice in most Aikido schools. Plus, isn't there a general consensus that the master in the video isn't an Aikido practioner?

I like what Zealth has to say, seems intelligent and knows what he's talking about and a fencing background adds variety and a new perspective; I think if there's any hostilities or disagreement it's mostly misinterpretation or semantic details.
I know, I'm just relaying why we're making fun of Aikido. (And yes, technically, he's an Aikijutsu guy, but dammit, Aikido blows so much that it must be made fun of scream ).

And like I said, working 40 hours this week has made my brain fried, so if anything, it was my fault for coming into his rebuttle without the proper energy to fully comprehend.  

Mr. Cynical

The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces