Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Question of Quintessence

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azaleya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:10 pm
Being atheist means that you don't believe in god, supernatural entity, or whatever, for whatever reason, correct? Well, i've been thinking on various topics (life, the universe, and everything biggrin ) and i was wondering how many atheists reject the idea of god, but accept the idea of some form or quintessence, either a soul, or spirit, or essence of person, ect. What intruiges me about this is that the acceptance of the idea of quintessence would indicate a belief in something beyond human understanding or control--a god, if you will, something that would create that self. And so, an atheist who accepted quintessence wouldn't really be an atheist--more an agnostic, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:57 pm
That's what agnosticism is, contemplating that there might be some sort of higher being. One of my best friends believes in what you just described, another of my friends describes herself as a 'weak athiest', and says she does wonder sometimes, but on the whole she hasn't seen why there would be a god at all.  

Muaethia

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:17 pm
Well, I believe humans have a poor concept of reality, so there is the possibility of things "beyond humanity." But as for a "soul," I don't think so. I have yet to see any evidance that would lead me to think there might be one. As for the "force" or some other mystical life energy, I don't think so for the same reasons.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:36 pm
As soon as something has an effect on the world, it is a part of the world. The idea of some 'higher realm' in any form is silly - it's the old dualism debate in another form. Either something can affect us or it can't. If it can, then we can study it, hypothesize about it, experiment with it, control it, and eventually understand it. If it can't affect us, then it doesn't exist. Simple as that.  

Xanthir

[s l i n k y]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:35 am
Xanthir
As soon as something has an effect on the world, it is a part of the world. The idea of some 'higher realm' in any form is silly - it's the old dualism debate in another form. Either something can affect us or it can't. If it can, then we can study it, hypothesize about it, experiment with it, control it, and eventually understand it. If it can't affect us, then it doesn't exist. Simple as that.
Pictures will fade...

I never quite thought about it that way. That's very...deep.

...But memories will always be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:28 am
SoCkNeSsMoNsTeR
Xanthir

I never quite thought about it that way. That's very...deep.

Eh, it's materialism. All that is, is. That's it. ^_^  

Xanthir

Kiron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:42 pm
It was from the religion my dad is from that Mana come' s from, and that' s a kind of life force I guess.

I don' t think it exist' s .... but having a life force thing would be cool... if you could manipulate it like in star wars XD TEH FORCE  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games