Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So you call yourself an atheist... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind are you?
  materialist
  philisophical atheists (but not a materialist)
  atheist-in-practice
  emotional atheist
  agnostic
  skeptic
View Results

Lilith727

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:51 am
I don't believe in any religious deity nor do I believe in any form of life after death. Just in matter and evidence that science has provided, so I guess I'm classified as a materialist.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:06 am
I guess I would be a philisophical atheist or a materialist. I turn to philosophy, well some philosophers like Nietzsche. They don’t rely on the existence of a god to explain their morals. Understanding and explaining the world with out leaving it to blind faith in god is so much richer. I love to see all the different view points and opinions of why man kind behaviors in certain ways.  

Nonymous

Minozake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:18 pm
I would call myself a philosophical atheist. I believe in rebirth for it is most logical to me. That's just the way I happen to fall.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:20 pm
I'm a materialist. The term 'spiritual' is not well-defined, and so it is vacuous. As soon as something has an effect on the world, it's a part of the world. It can be studied, catalogued, duplicated, and eventually understood and controlled.

Anything else is dualism, the idea that there are two types of things that are simultaneously able and unable to affect each other. The same with things such as mind. The brain is the sum total of our consciousness. There is nothing else, or if there is, we'll be able to find it, study it, and control it just as much as we can with the brain.

If you actually think critically, it's impossible to be anything but a materialist. Notice that materialism does not intrinsically eliminate the possibility of a god. I'm quite certain that there isn't one, in much the same way that I'm quite certain that a dropped hammer will fall toward the ground, but there's always the chance that the opposite could occur. In which, we can then study why it happened and come to understand it, finally adjusting our theories to take it into account.  

Xanthir

Xanthir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:21 pm
Minozake
I would call myself a philosophical atheist. I believe in rebirth for it is most logical to me. That's just the way I happen to fall.

Does this mean that you believe in a soul? What is the basis of this belief, if you don't mind explaining?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 pm
Most assuredly a philosophical atheist...

I completely reject the belief of a supernatural being as creator, controller, giver, and judge. Once, humans believed the volcano would erupt or sun would be eclipsed or rain would stop simly because of the humans' lack of faith in their gods. yeah.

Yet, I recognize and acknowledge, as many ancient indigenous cultures did, that nature is an awesome and powerful force. It may indeed be sacred, in that nature creates and ends life itself... or at least can rearrange the atoms to alter forms! This sacredness, therefore, dwells in all of the world, and I acknowledge the sacredness of all living things ---and maybe even "evil" plastic!

Namaste (I bow to/honor the innate sacredness in you)

Copper Forrest

SmurfsonAcid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:12 pm
Materialist all the way. If there is no proof for, then it is axiomic that it isn't there.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:42 pm
I honestly don't know what to call myself. (Sealeian? lawl...)

By faith and politics, I'm an athiest, but not the fundie that I make myself out to be. Honestly, I've started on this whole philospohical trip that can be pretty much summed up as:

"If everyone would shut up, sit down, and listen to each other, the world would be a LOT more organized."

I sit down with my bible teacher once or twice a week and come across some pretty interesting stuff. The idea of grace, for example, but I won't drag all that into this thread. =)  

Tenth Speed Writer

maybebaby888888888

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:33 pm
Copper Forrest
Most assuredly a philosophical atheist...

I completely reject the belief of a supernatural being as creator, controller, giver, and judge. Once, humans believed the volcano would erupt or sun would be eclipsed or rain would stop simly because of the humans' lack of faith in their gods. yeah.

Yet, I recognize and acknowledge, as many ancient indigenous cultures did, that nature is an awesome and powerful force. It may indeed be sacred, in that nature creates and ends life itself... or at least can rearrange the atoms to alter forms! This sacredness, therefore, dwells in all of the world, and I acknowledge the sacredness of all living things ---and maybe even "evil" plastic!

Namaste (I bow to/honor the innate sacredness in you)
I totally agree with your ideas.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:51 pm
materialist

if you think about it nothing spiritual can exist for real where the hell did they come from?  

IDTgoo

Aepix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:05 pm
"spiritual" is such a silly term. I don't know what it applies too. Does it refer to events, or the way things work?
Kind of like "supernatural" because if it exists... it's natural, right? Even man-made stuff has to be natural, because we happened. In nature. So if the supernatural exists it must be natural, therefore there is no "supernatural". Catch my drift? Maybe... sweatdrop ?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff