Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yes please.
View Results

PewterKat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:38 pm
While reading the Bible (the book of Genesis, more specifically), I've recently come across a word that looks misplaced among the rest of the text: "stuff".

Yes, "stuff". People talking to each other, referring to someone's possessions as "stuff". I don't remember exactly where I found it, though.

I find this odd, and yes, slightly humorous. It could be the way things have translated, but couldn't they have used the word "possessions"?

Please discuss:
arrow Your thoughts
arrow Words in the Bible that seem too modern
arrow Other strange findings
arrow My short-sightedness
arrow Anything else relevent to the topic  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:48 pm
well i can explain why that word was in there, because alot of bibles today will use a synoym of a word to help it seem more clear to youth, perhaps thas why you found that word in there.  

thrashmetaljunkie

[~Fluffy Kadaj~]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:20 pm
wut translation is ur Bible?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:37 pm
Well, the word 'stuff' apparently derives from the Old French estoffe, which in turn comes from the Germanic estoffer, putting the word's origins at over 1,000 years old. That aside, I don't think that a word can be 'too modern': it's a word's meaning that is important, not its age. Still, in modern English, 'stuff' is often used in a very informal or slangy manner, which may be why it seems to be out of place in a book like the bible that many people expect to have a more formal tone.

By the way, if you take a look at the New American Standard Bible, Genesis 25:30, you'll see an example of the word 'stuff' where 'possessions' would not work as a substitute.  

Tarrou

PewterKat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:23 pm
Ninja~Baby~Girl
wut translation is ur Bible?

The King James version.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:08 am
It is a good idea to have a dictionary with you as you read the Bible. There were plenty of words in the Bible I did not understand; however, the dictionary explained these words. It made a lot of sense after I knew the word's definitions.

There are many different versions of the Bible. In some, italics are added by the translator, in others they refer to footnotes at the bottom of the page and in other Bibles the italicized words are the words that Jesus actually said. A quick look at your Bible should show which one yours is.  

RatTurd

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:18 am
you obvious werent reading the old king james because 'stuff' is a new, american word.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:20 am
RatTurd
It is a good idea to have a dictionary with you as you read the Bible. There were plenty of words in the Bible I did not understand; however, the dictionary explained these words. It made a lot of sense after I knew the word's definitions.

There are many different versions of the Bible. In some, italics are added by the translator, in others they refer to footnotes at the bottom of the page and in other Bibles the italicized words are the words that Jesus actually said. A quick look at your Bible should show which one yours is.

www.biblegateway.com is good too.  

PoppyDadswell

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces