Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Homeschooling and stay-at-home parenting Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittlePinky82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:35 am
Groups are a good idea. Here in my town we have a lot of tourist attractions and one attraction is this Discovery place mostly for the younger kids and they have different programs kids can join and meet other kids there. We also have a big aquarium here (The Tennessee Aquairum) and they have little programs there young kids can attend. I know a little girl at my church who used to attend and she seemed to like it. She also does something similar to Brownies so there are opportunities out there or you could get together like suggested and start a group. smile

Cataera
I am the mother of a five year old girl and a three year old boy. I am currently going to school to become a teacher--an English, Japanese language teacher (I also am hoping to help Special Needs children) and I would absolutely love to homeschool my kids. The only problem I see with it is the lack of social interaction with kids their own age. Kids need that social interaction. But, I also know a lot about the moving around--I went to 17 schools before I fianally graduated from school and they were in two different states, in much different climates and the whole bit. One suggestion that I would throw out there is when you guys move, why not start a group with the other kids. You could even do it after school and have the social interactions that way. When you move then, you can keep in touch with all of the other kids (like pen pals) and make the most of your situation. That is just an idea I had. biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 pm
There is some evidence that homeschooled children learn more because of the intensive attention they get. There are a lot of good curriculums and helps out there for homeschooled kids. Kids need other kids, so make sure to include lots of chances for making friends and learning social skills even before they reach school age. It can be done very successfully if you plan carefully and make your children a high priority.

On the other hand, if you find it necessary either financially or emotionally to work outside the home and let your children spend at least part of each day with other caregivers (teachers, etc.), don't beat yourself up about it. Research shows the single most critical ingredient to a child's success is parental involvement, be it an hour or two a day or all day every day. Take an abiding interest in your child's day to day life and feelings, and your child will benefit.

Good luck!  

Faith Fairy

Crew

Blessed Fairy

9,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

tubbyflip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 pm
im home schooled and im fine with it i am going into 7grade but im going to this once a week thing its a school but you only go once a week. and i have lots of friends and i think home schooling is fun but this year i dont know if its going to be fun becouse my brother is autistic and hes home schooled with me and he crys a lot and its rely hard to consintrate  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:19 pm
I'm a military child, and I understand how hard it is to move. I'm a Junior in highschool right now, and I've attended three different highschools. Two in different states, one in a different country. It's really hard to deal with. When I moved back from Germany I was far behind Kansas as far as math and spanish went. I failed spanish and struggled through math.
I think having homeschooling would have been a luxory for me. But I do see both pros and cons. I can't imagine having the people skills I have right now without all of the moving. Some of the most friendly people I have met are military children and military families. The schools expose you to all sorts of people, and I think it helps once you start taking steps into life. Once you're older you've encountered more types of people that most kids have because of your school system, so you really do know how to deal with different situations.
But I also think that homeschooling would be very nice. The individualized attention would have been very nice.
I personally would homeschool my children if I had them.

Ginger Snapple

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces