Menkar was on a mission. Normally a mission might consist of heading to the border to fight some rogues that wanted to join or maybe go out on a hunt, but today it was a task of another kind. This one was personal and he hoped he'd succeed. He'd noticed a somewhat familiar face in recent months, though he'd never had a chance to go and talk to the lioness that always seemed to disappear whenever he spotted her. He didn't know her personally but the way her fur curled was awfully familiar.

Malie didn't know that she was the subject of Menkar's mission, but she also didn't know who Menkar was so it didn't bother her much. Today was her day of rest, no training or dueling, but a lioness like her found it hard to relax. For her, being physical was relaxing. She decided a stroll would help settle the energy that always seemed to be burning within her. The heat of the day had yet to settle onto the desert lands the Firekin called home so there wasn't any reason not to!

The two didn't realize they were on a collision course until Menkar crested the top of a dune. Malie was heading up on the other side, putting in a little bit of extra effort to reach the top, her head bowed. The red male gave a little yelp of surprise which alerted the monochrome female to the imminent impact, the both of them stopping dead in their tracks. They blinked at one another for a moment before Menkar realized who he was looking at.

"You!" he exclaimed, making Malie's ears pin back in annoyance.

"Me?" she repeated, mistaking his surprise for irritation. "Last I knew this was a desert anyone could walk around in."

Menkar winced at the tone in Malie's voice and he quickly shook his head. "No! I mean, yes, it is, but that's not what I meant. I've been looking for you."

"You have?" Now Malie's ears twisted forward with interest. She sized up the male before her before smirking. "What, you want to duel? I could totally kick your butt." He wasn't big like a Firekin, but something about him was oddly familiar...

"Not really," Menkar said quickly, trying not to put his paw in his mouth again. "I just- I wanted to talk to you. You remind me of my father a bit. Not...not in looks or. Anything like that!" he said, watching Malie's face shift again to offense. "You don't look like a male! You just have the same kind of fur. Kind of wavy."

Malie wasn't sure what to think of this guy. He was odd but in an endearing sort of way, even if he was a little confusing to listen to. When he mentioned how her fur curled, though, it all finally clicked.

"Oh! You're from the Kizi!" she said with a laugh. "That's why you look kind of familiar. I'm originally from the Bahari," she went on to explain, watching as Menkar's face lit up with recognition.

"Yeah, yeah! That's what I meant! My dad's from the Bahari, he moved to the Kizi to be with my mom and my siblings," he said with a laugh. "What a small world, eh? Funny we're both here now."

"Yeah, kind of funny. Sea-dwelling lions heading for the desert," Malie agreed with a little snicker. She tilted her head a bit, surveying Menkar before speaking. "Why did you leave? The Bahari was just too chill for me, I guess. I wanted adventure and fun."

"Eh, kind of the same reason," Menkar agreed. "The Kizi was just a little too..I dunno. Didn't speak to me. I left the pride without really intending to end up here but stories about the Firekin drew me in. I'm probably too chill for them, but they let me in anyway," he said with a little chuckle. "Got some fightin' chops out in the rogue lands first though."

"Yeah, I had to practice a lot," Malie agreed. "I didn't get in my first try. I'm Malie, by the way," she added, grinning at Menkar now that she wasn't confused by him or taking offense to his words.

"Menkar," he returned with a little bow, a smile of his own on his face. "I'm glad I finally ran into you...almost literally. I've been looking for you for a while now. Ever since I saw you you reminded me a bit of home. Well...former home."

Malie tilted her head, her grin turning from amusement to just a bit flirtatious. "Oh, so you've been looking for me for a while, hm? Sounds like you couldn't get me out of your mind."

Menkar's grin faltered just a bit and, if he were able, a blush would have stolen across his face. As it was his fur was already red, but the bashful look on his face gave him away.

"Well- I mean, yeah, but not like that! I mean you are pretty, but- er-" Malie couldn't help the laughter that left her as Menkar stumbled over his words. She reached up with a paw to give his shoulder a light push to let him know she was teasing...a bit.

"Don't get your tail in a knot, Menkar. I'm pulling your leg," she said, bumping up against him as she finally continued walking to the top of the dune. Now that they were beside each other she gave him a curious look.

"Well, you found me. Now what?"

Menkar considered the question for a moment as he let his embarrassment recede. "Well...maybe now we can be friends. We both grew up in a similar place, we're both kind of outsiders here no matter how good of a fighter we are. Makes sense to stick together, right?"

"Speak for yourself!" Malie said with a laugh as she trotted down the dune. "I fit in perfectly here. C'mon, Kizi," she teased as she broke into a run. "Let's see how fast you are on sand!"

"Hey! Wait!" Menkar turned to follow Malie down the dune, laughing as he slowly caught up to her. He had to run a bit beside her so as not to get a face full of sand from her hind paws.

"Waiting's for other lions!" Malie yelled back, clearly enjoying the little race she'd started. She didn't know where they'd end up, but she had a feeling Menkar would follow her wherever she went. And that wasn't such a bad thing to think about.

WC:1087