Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[Log] Searching (Ecthelion "The Starcatcher")

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm
User Image

Latonia Teepee

(Please do not post here unless you have been invited.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 pm
For all that he and his sister lived in the same herd, Ecthelion had to admit that they did not see each other as often as they had as children. As adults, circumstances had changed. Rather than being permitted to remain at the outskirts of social groups, watched over in a group of children with a single guardian, they had outgrown any accommodations the herd was willing to make. They were expected to pull their own weight. For Thel, the easiest way to do so was join the Soldiers, learn to fight and defend to protect the herd.

Telumendil did not have that option, and instead worked as a handmaiden, keeping company with various half-siblings and cousins. Thel knew it wasn't easy for her, wasn't always pleasant, but she had always assured him there were friends amongst the glittering viper's nest that treated her kindly, made it all worthwhile. Not enough for him to be completely confident and relaxed, but enough that he would minimize his hovering and check in with her every few days. The last time he had seen her she had been a little tired, cutting their visit short so she could catch up on rest.

If Thel had been paying more attention then, perhaps he would have realized that it was indeed the last time he would see her. Of course, he didn't realize that until he went to visit her the next time.

Until he went searching for her the next time.

Ecthelion Wordcount: 248  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:14 pm
Quote:
Ecthelion strode from his sire's lands without hesitation, passing unwaveringly through the territories of kin and then kith. He moved beyond them as promptly as possible, knowing Telu would not linger in any territory that their father was likely to visit or claim any authority or guest rights. No, if she were to escape she'd go somewhere none of them had ever been, had ever thought of. Telumendil would go somewhere the family had not heard of, if she could. Which made it harder for him to find her, but not impossible.
Nothing would keep him from finding his twin, not distance nor time nor interfering family. Eventually, he'd catch up to her.
"That's right, Little Sister... Big Brother is on his way."

The concept of hunting his little sister down was of course much easier than the execution of such an idea. It was less a plan and more an imperative, a whim attached to sheer stubbornness. Still, it was enough motivation for the Warrior Prince, at least when his sister's safety and happiness lay on the line. So he flew and he walked and he spoke to those he came across, looking for a dainty mare with hair of pale dawn light and eyes that shone like stars.
And so far, he was no closer to finding her than when he began, but maybe today would be different.

Ecthelion Wordcount: 230  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm
Quote:
Berith had always been a wanderer at heart. Though that wasn’t really all that surprising considering the family she came from. They were nomadic in their ways, healing and aiding the individuals and herds that they crossed paths with. If word reached them oh another herd in need of their skills, they would make plans to locate and help them as soon as the possibly could. There was never a long period of time where Berith and her family stayed in the same spot; she wouldn’t have it any other way.

It was a freeing feeling, knowing one could go where ever one pleased, however one wished. Though she and her father had been reunited with her mother and brother after years apart, the family still hadn’t wanted to stay in the same place for very long. They all itches to go out in to the world once more, and Berith had been quick to venture out on her own. She had made promises to bring gifts back for her newly discovered nieces and nephews (how strange it felt, to be an aunt already, when she herself was hardly an adult herself), stories to regale her mother, father, and aunt with, and all the teasing she could muster to her brother to make up for lost time. Whoever and whatever she crossed paths would only add to her stories.

Berith mostly traveled at night. It was how she had been raised and a tradition in her family. Though she had never really received the training she should have to properly use her natural healing talents, her father, Samael, had taught her how to read the stars to find her way.

And so she went under the blanket of the night sky, off to help whoever so much as asked for her assistance. No matter the task, Berith was determined to make her family proud.

Berith // Honey Teepee  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Quote:
One of the more annoying things about the herd was the fact that so few of them seemed to have any interest in Telumendil's well-being or whereabouts. Ecthelion knew that they were looked down on, his sister and himself, for what they represented. Their sire's indiscretion, a liaison with a mare that most of them considered common. They were a living branch in the royal's bloodline, representing a threat to the eventual herd leadership, a possible war. Not for some time yet, if ever, but the potential was there.

It was the potential that everyone feared.

So the absence of a Princess that they were ashamed of? Why should anyone think of it? Perhaps she had left on her own, perhaps she had been removed from play. No longer a threat on the gameboard of power; either lost or sacrificed or disposed of. Thel was the only one who seemed to take issue with the whole matter of his missing sister.

Though he was not the most adept at wayfaring or wayfinding, Ecthelion had the skill for both, much like any other in his herd. In a way, they were considered basics, essential tools for survival, like being able to chart courses using the sky and recognizing varying landmarks that outlined their territory. Telumendil was slightly better at it than he, he had always felt, but as a Lady had little cause to use such skills. As a Warrior, Thel himself was more likely to need to call on such abilities and more likely to be found lacking when compared to the scouts and hunters who trained in their craft unendingly. As far as he could guess, that was likely why she had made it beyond the herdlands so swiftly.

Whether it was under the sun or under the stars, Ecthelion could track. True enough, he was not considered the most skilled among the trackers of their herd, nor the most adamant of the hunters, but all in all his skills were sufficient. With his sister in the balance, his twin, he would overcome any deficiencies. With Telumendil's safety at stake, he would be relentless.

Which was why he strode proudly beneath the star-filled sky, hunting for the presence of his sister. Shades of midnight and starlight that he was, Thel knew the sky and the dance of the stars better than his own blood. The hum of the stars was the only basket song he could remember now, the closest he could get to his mother. Beneath the sky, he was home, whatever the rest of his surroundings might be. He preferred the company to include his sister, but that was why he was searching for her.

But the mare he had managed to encounter was very clearly not Telumendil, though whether she could lead him to his sister remained to be seen. He spent a few moments considering the burgundy mare with her star painted pelt, then came to a decision. Clearing his throat politely, Thel hung his lantern from one of the chains draping over his withers and bobbed his head in a greeting.

"Good evening, Lady." He murmured pleasantly. "I don't suppose I could trouble you for some information? You see, I am out here seeking my sister to ensure she remains safe and well. I don't suppose you might tell me if you've seen her?"

Ecthelion Wordcount: 560  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 am
Quote:
The Herd of Stars may have been a home to them as a birthright, but it had never felt like a true home. They had not truly been welcomed, had not belonged, among their father's Court and his people. If their mother had lived, perhaps things would have been different. Perhaps not, and they would have gone with her elsewhere. If that had been the case, maybe Thel would not be hunting for his sister at all. Maybe they would be content in a new herd, maybe they would not know how to track each other and be at a higher risk of losing each other.

Though Telumendil's ability to navigate may have been of a higher natural caliber than his own, her practice in the field was far more limited. Likewise, she had not learned well how to hide a trail, or what signs a tracker or scout may search for when pursuing quarry. Even under the blanket of night, there were distinctive markers that showed her trail through the lands of their allies and into those that bordered them. Now and again it slowed Ecthelion's progress in the hunt, as he stopped to obliterate the markers and set false trails or switchbacks in the hopes of losing any that might follow them.

Now encountering a stranger in these unfamiliar lands, Ecthelion shifts idly on his hooves and flicks his wing thoughtfully. There's every chance that Telu's trail has gotten tangled with this other mare's, which is both good in the event of pursuit and troublesome in regards to his own attempt to track his sibling down. That being said, there isn't exactly a delicate way to inquire about if that is or is not the case, so he decides not to bring it up at the moment.

Quote:
Ecthelion Wordcount: 299

Quote:
Berith hummed herself a happy tune as she strode alone under the night sky. It wasn't often that she had only herself for company. Her familiar, Azazel, was usually by her side, keeping watch and being as vigilant as ever when it came to her safety, but she was alone for this particular journey and she didn't mind at all. Azazel had a family of his own, after all, and he had gone to spend time with his beloved and their children. Berith had had the pleasure of meeting Andromeda a handful of times and found the cockatiel to be a wonderful match for Azazel. Truly the stars had blessed their union, gifting them children not long after the two had fallen in love. It was a tale filled with romance and Berith adored getting whatever details she could out of her ever-serious bonded.

Onwards, she continued, letting her heart and the starry sky above guide her to her next destination. There were always other soquili in need, it was never a difficult endeavor to find someone in need of a proficient healer, and the mare was sure she would discover many on her travels who needed her aid. It was only a matter of deciding on what direction she would journey in this time. The burgundy mare tilted her head to the stars to seek their guidance, pondered their quiet wisdom, and decided she would head north for the time being.

"Perhaps I will cross paths with Aunt Sariel this time around," Berith mused to herself.

It wasn't long before Berith saw the silhouette of another soquili before her, the light of the lantern he placed to his side illuminating his own star speckled pelt, and the sound of a throat being cleared caught her ears. Her gray eyes danced, a smile coming to her face at the sight of the stallion. She had always been a social creature, a bit out of place within her own family, who were quite reserved and careful around strangers, but Berith delighted in making conversation and meeting new soquili. She dipped her own head in return of the stallion's greeting, as it was always important to be polite to new, potential friends.

"Good evening," came her chipper reply. She stood patiently as the stallion asked her for information. Berith's head lilted to the side as she pondered his question, her eyes glancing up to the stars as if in deep though. Though she, herself, had no recollection of crossing paths with any mares that looked similar to the star-kissed stallion, Berith had an inkling of an idea as to who could be of service to him. How fortuitous that it would lead her to crossing paths with her aunt, the very mare Berith had hopes of seeing while on her adventure.

The mare gave a slight shake of her head to inform him that she had not seen anyone that she could place as her sister. "I'm afraid I haven't, though I believe my aunt will be of great benefit to you. She's quiet gifted when it comes to guiding others! Whether they're lost or they're seeking lost things, she can point them in the right direction.
"I was actually on my way to see her - or find her, I guess is more correct. She's not hard to find, but my family doesn't stay in the same spot for long." Though she loved to make conversation, Berith was never particularly skilled at getting to the point. The mare rambled on a little longer than she probably should have in regards to the habits of her family, specifically her aunt. "But she's usually up North! She thinks the stars are clearer in the North than in the South. I think she says it helps her guide others? Seeing the stars clearly, I mean! Oh, but that's not too important, is it?" It took a moment to dawn on her that she was, perhaps, going on a little too long about nonspecifics and she gave a shake of her head to focus on the main concern of this stallion. He had approached her for a reason, after all. " Anyways, if you'd like, you can join me while I go to visit her. She's very nice, she'd love to help you find your sister, I'm sure of it!"

A dawning realization hit the mare, her eyes widening as it hit her. "Oh, I didn't introduce myself! I doubt you'd want to join someone on their travels without even knowing their name, would you?" A light laugh left the mare's mouth at her own folly. How silly she had been, not giving the stallion a proper introduction. She dipped her head once more, a jovial look on her face as she grinned at the stallion. "My name is Berith. It would be my pleasure to help you find your sister, or at least guide you to the mare who can set you on your way!"

Quote:
It would not due to darken a pleasant meeting or tarnish a chipper disposition with tales of an unpleasant past. Though the stranger in question didn't herself have information that would aid him in her quest, it seemed as though she had suggestions on who he might make inquiries with. Even if her pattern of speech was meandering and more enthusiasm than sense, Thel listened with a faint smile and a feeling of fondness.

The introduction came at the end of the conversation as if the mare had forgotten herself in her enthusiastic burbling, but it was a charming quality. "It is nice to meet you, Berith, and I am grateful that you would offer to introduce me to someone you feel is wise or gifted enough to help me find my sister. The fact of the matter is that I am following her trail, as she recently escaped our home herd. As we would rather not return homeward, I am doing my best to disguise any trail she left behind, and sabotage any trackers that may follow us afterward..."

He flared and folded his wings, considering the offer. "I will accompany you for a time, if it is company you require, so long as it seems our path leads us in the direction my sister went in. But should the two divert, I think my odds would be better to find Telu in following her trail rather than going elsewhere. You see she didn't even get a full day of a head start, so I would rather not go off course and widen the distance between us."

Quote:
Ecthelion Wordcount: 268
Total Wordcount: 567

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm
Quote:
Traveling with a companion was only ever going to be a temporary scenario, much to Ecthelion's disappointment when the time came for them to part ways. But during their trip he had certainly managed to put such a disappointing fact out of his mind, enjoying their time spent bantering and talking as they traveled through varying landscapes. Berith, for her part, had been quite the companion. The unicorn mare had been helpful as something of a local guide, a compassionate ear, a lighthearted wanderer in search of her own family. She gave him hope, for a successful reunion with his sister as well as for the future. And then they had come to a point where their paths diverged, and he had to bid her farewell.

Farewell to his friend, a stranger in a strange land that had shown him unexpected kindness and understanding. A first of a kind, at least for Ecthelion, who had rarely had free time to spend on exploring with anything approaching a friend. Much of his travel within or out of herd lands had been in the capacity of a Soldier, in the companion of other Soldiers. It had been a mission, rather than a diverting trip. There had been an air of unrest that never settled, a tense anticipation and anxiety that never released him. Soldiers were supposed to be absolute, decisive, fearless; tension was to be expected. Now, he was on his own, and aside from the mild worry at what trouble Telumendil might have found without him, he was relaxed, content, and even enjoying his journey.

Now everything was different. He was no longer part of the herd, part of the Court. No longer subject to his father's scrutiny or derision, no longer one of many nameless soldiers working to keep all of their allies and herdlands safe. A free agent.

The landscape sped by, beneath claw and hoof and broad wing. Field and valley, cliff and cape, beaches and bays. Starry skies, sunsets and sunrises, and the bright warm sprawl of days. Flying over formerly winter-wrapped mountains on a dancing spring wind was pleasant enough, Thel skipping on the wind as he arrived in yet another land in search of his wayward twin.

While flight was more expedient as a method of travel, Telumendil did not have such a luxury. Which meant any and all signs of her trail would be on the ground, so on the ground is where he would search. Gliding above the mountain passes gave him little to follow, so he landed in the rolling highlands and began his search there. Telu's head start would certainly put him at a disadvantage, but with any luck, she might have left a clue or three behind in case he followed... With any luck, she'd remember that not all of their family was antagonistic, and might even welcome a familiar face here.

"Sister dearest," He mused as he landed in a flutter of wings. "Let us hope that you are safe and well in this new world. Let us hope that you have found a home, but would not begrudge your favorite sibling a visit, if nothing else."

Thel Wordcount: 528  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff