Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre
Official Studio Ghibli Movie Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 am
Hello Everyone,

I've been told that a lot of people like the "Studio Ghibl" Movies. I have seen the DVD's of them in the stores but have not watched any of them yet.

Since they seem to be popular I'm curious as to what they are all about. So feel free to post on this thread everything about these movies whether it's about the characters, the plots, the settings, etc.

If you are talking about a specific movie please note that in your post. Also if your topic is about a new release of one of the movies please note that in the post. That way other members can be warned that the post could be a spoiler for them.

Also please do not post any screen shots on this thread from the movies. If it's fan art that's based on one of the movies please post that in the "Art Dump" thread. Any cosplay photos of the characters from these movies can be posted in the Photo Section Sub Forum.

Have fun talking to other fans about these movies.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:03 am
I can never get enough of the Studio Ghibli movies! I love them so much!
The only one's I haven't seen yet are, Grave of the Fireflies, Horus, Night of Taneyamagahara, Panda! Go Panda, and Only Yesterday! I will watch them though!

The first Studio Ghibli movies I watched, which got me hooked as a kid was, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke!

heart Maybe I'll watch some tonight! heart

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:53 pm
Starz-N-Madness
The only one's I haven't seen yet are, Grave of the Fireflies, Horus, Night of Taneyamagahara, Panda! Go Panda, and Only Yesterday! I will watch them though!

The first Studio Ghibli movies I watched, which got me hooked as a kid was, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke!

I haven't watched any of the Ghibli movies but I did take a photo of a Kiki cosplayer from the movie Kiki's Delivery Service back in 2009 at Jafax 16. Have fun watching your movies again.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:12 am
smithers456
Starz-N-Madness

I haven't watched any of the Ghibli movies but I did take a photo of a Kiki cosplayer from the movie Kiki's Delivery Service back in 2009 at Jafax 16. Have fun watching your movies again.

I was Kiki for Halloween two years ago!
Thanks so much! I tend to watch them quite a bit!
You definitely should watch wink

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:38 pm
Starz-N-Madness
smithers456
Starz-N-Madness

You can see the photo that I took of the Kiki cosplayer on my Deviant Art page gallery. The photo is in the Jafax 16 album. I will have to look for the Kiki's Delivery Service movie. Ever since I saw the Kiki cosplayer I got an interest in the movie. She was in the Masquerade walk on at the con and got the biggest applause. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm
smithers456
Starz-N-Madness
smithers456
Starz-N-Madness

You can see the photo that I took of the Kiki cosplayer on my Deviant Art page gallery. The photo is in the Jafax 16 album. I will have to look for the Kiki's Delivery Service movie. Ever since I saw the Kiki cosplayer I got an interest in the movie. She was in the Masquerade walk on at the con and got the biggest applause. smile

Oh nice! I just took a long at it! You definitely should watch it. You can always find it online, too. That's amazing. I only dressed up with her for my Halloween house party I was co-hosting for. It was fun!  

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 pm
I love the Ghibli movies! There's so much detail and development in them! The characters and stories really pull you in. I, of course, love Totoro, Kiki, and Spirited Away. I also love Howl's Moving Castle. It was a great take on the book!

"May all your bacon burn."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:11 pm
xinitia
I love the Ghibli movies! There's so much detail and development in them! The characters and stories really pull you in. I, of course, love Totoro, Kiki, and Spirited Away. I also love Howl's Moving Castle. It was a great take on the book!

"May all your bacon burn."

Omg, I love those as well! I really want the book, Howl's Moving Castle! I've been looking for it! I'm glad you said that it was great! Now, I am looking forward to it evn more (:

Such.A.Great.Quote!

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Ghost Girlfriend

Mewling Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 pm
I have to say that my favorite Studio Ghibli movie is Kiki's Delivery Service. When I first watched it I was really young and I loved how she could fly on her broom and she was so generous and cute. When I watch it now, it gives me childhood nostalgia and it makes me super happy <3  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:01 pm
Amethyst Wallflower
I have to say that my favorite Studio Ghibli movie is Kiki's Delivery Service. When I first watched it I was really young and I loved how she could fly on her broom and she was so generous and cute. When I watch it now, it gives me childhood nostalgia and it makes me super happy <3

Gahh, I completely agree with you! heart  

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Lady Shimizu

Feline Genius

12,275 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:25 pm
Starz-N-Madness

I grew up watching Hayou Miyazaki films. My favorite has to be Howl's Moving Castle, but my very first was My Neighbor Totoro. Are Grave of Fireflies, Horus, Night of Taneyamagahara Panda! Go Panda, and Only Yesterday Hayou Miyazaki films? Or are they just Studio Ghibli movies? I was pretty sure we had found, watched, and bought all the Hayou Miyazaki movies.

SPOILERS FOR HAYOU MIYAZAKI MOVIES AHEAD!

Oh gosh, I remember how much Spirited Away scared me as a kid, but it has some redeeming qualities. My favorite scene was when the main girl is riding on the boy's back when he's in dragon form and she's like, "I remember you now! You were the river!" and he shatters and they just kind of float happily back.

Hehe in Howl's Moving Castle Kal ( Cal? ) was awesome. That part when she's cooking on him and then Howl returns and he's like, "Kal! You're letting her cook on you?" Another great part is later when Howl's got his heart back and Sophie's back to being young and her hair is all silver and short and he says, "Sophie! Your hair, it's like starlight!"

Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service is definitely my favorite character. It may be partly because he's a cat and I love cats, but he's still pretty awesome. When Kiki says the painter wants to do a painting of her, he immediately asks, "Naked?" That always makes me laugh. And his whole thing with the other cat, "I think maybe we got off on the wrong paw . . ."

And I must ask, have you seen Whisper of the Heart? It's another of Hayou Miyazaki's greatest movies. One of my favorite scenes from that movie was when she's muttering, "Stupid jerk, stupid jerk, stupid jerk . . ." and then she opens the fridge, takes a gulp of something that I think is chocolate milk put I am uncertain, then slams the fridge shut again and shouts, "Stupid Jerk!" And then my other favorite scene is at the end when the guy has his jacket around the girl and then he hugs her tightly and yells, "Shizuku! I love you!"

The Cat Returns is another good Hayou Miyazaki movie. "Muuna." "Are you calling me a cow!?" The poor girl was just trying to say your name, kitty, though the muu does make that kind of sound.

Sorry for kind of just spouting all of this, but Hayou Miyazaki is one of the greatest movie writers/makers of all, in my opinion. I love all of his movies, that know of and have seen anyway. Which I think is all of them. Anyone who has not seen them should totally watch them as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:57 am
Lady Shimizu
Starz-N-Madness

I grew up watching Hayou Miyazaki films. My favorite has to be Howl's Moving Castle, but my very first was My Neighbor Totoro. Are Grave of Fireflies, Horus, Night of Taneyamagahara Panda! Go Panda, and Only Yesterday Hayou Miyazaki films? Or are they just Studio Ghibli movies? I was pretty sure we had found, watched, and bought all the Hayou Miyazaki movies.

SPOILERS FOR HAYOU MIYAZAKI MOVIES AHEAD!

Oh gosh, I remember how much Spirited Away scared me as a kid, but it has some redeeming qualities. My favorite scene was when the main girl is riding on the boy's back when he's in dragon form and she's like, "I remember you now! You were the river!" and he shatters and they just kind of float happily back.

Hehe in Howl's Moving Castle Kal ( Cal? ) was awesome. That part when she's cooking on him and then Howl returns and he's like, "Kal! You're letting her cook on you?" Another great part is later when Howl's got his heart back and Sophie's back to being young and her hair is all silver and short and he says, "Sophie! Your hair, it's like starlight!"

Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service is definitely my favorite character. It may be partly because he's a cat and I love cats, but he's still pretty awesome. When Kiki says the painter wants to do a painting of her, he immediately asks, "Naked?" That always makes me laugh. And his whole thing with the other cat, "I think maybe we got off on the wrong paw . . ."

And I must ask, have you seen Whisper of the Heart? It's another of Hayou Miyazaki's greatest movies. One of my favorite scenes from that movie was when she's muttering, "Stupid jerk, stupid jerk, stupid jerk . . ." and then she opens the fridge, takes a gulp of something that I think is chocolate milk put I am uncertain, then slams the fridge shut again and shouts, "Stupid Jerk!" And then my other favorite scene is at the end when the guy has his jacket around the girl and then he hugs her tightly and yells, "Shizuku! I love you!"

The Cat Returns is another good Hayou Miyazaki movie. "Muuna." "Are you calling me a cow!?" The poor girl was just trying to say your name, kitty, though the muu does make that kind of sound.

Sorry for kind of just spouting all of this, but Hayou Miyazaki is one of the greatest movie writers/makers of all, in my opinion. I love all of his movies, that know of and have seen anyway. Which I think is all of them. Anyone who has not seen them should totally watch them as soon as possible.

Thanks for sharing your Thoughts with us on these wonderful movies. smile I have come to Love these special "Studio Ghibli movies" I took a photo of a Jiji Cosplayer from Kiki's Delivery Service once. She was part of a "Walk on Stage" Masquerade at a convention. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers