Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre
Do You Go to Renaissance Era Festivals

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:58 am
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday (Sept 21st) I went to the Michigan Renaissance Festival in Holly Michigan. The festival is set up as a small Renaissance era village complete with a castle, shops, vendors, comedy type shows, and typical food that was eaten during that time. You can see jousting and lots of people dressed up in Renaissance period clothing which is really neat. As for things to buy their are actual swords, period outfits, figures, oils, and you can even get a tarot card reading to find out about your future. I went to the festival this year to buy a hand made staff with crystals, etc on it to complete my Dungeon and Dragons cosplay outfit. I figured what better place to find something like that. I ended up buying a 16 inch wooden wand that had a Celtic cross attached to it made out of a reddish stone. Since my outfit is a Celtic cleric one I decided that the wand worked better with the outfit.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone to a renaissance festival or a reenactment from the Camelot or Renaissance era. Also if you did what type of outfit did you wear?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:39 pm
I'll actually be attending one this Sunday. It's the Pirate Day, so my friends and I are going as pirates! It's gonna be fun!!!!

I haven't attended one in a long time, but I used to go to them all the time when I was younger. I wore all sorts of outfits- from dresses to knight's attire to pirates. It's always a lot of fun!  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm
xinitia
I'll actually be attending one this Sunday. It's the Pirate Day, so my friends and I are going as pirates! It's gonna be fun!!!!

I haven't attended one in a long time, but I used to go to them all the time when I was younger. I wore all sorts of outfits- from dresses to knight's attire to pirates. It's always a lot of fun!

xinitia, that's amazing that you have been able to dress up as so many different characters. Which one is your favorite? Have fun being a pirate. My outing at the Michigan Renaissance Festival was really nice, muddy, and very rainy in the afternoon. We came prepared with old shoes and umbrella's. We saw a laser light show with a fight between wizards, saw a cute mermaid girl, and ate old style food.

I was on a mission to find a staff for my Celtic cleric cosplay outfit. I didn't find any staffs that fit my needs but I did find a 16 inch handmade wooden wand that has a reddish stone celtic cross attached to it. It's really cool and fits in with my large silver celtic cross that's on a necklace. I'm going to take a picture of the wand in the near future and post it in the "My Cosplays" album on Deviant Art.

I also added to my Faery (Fairy) figure collection with an elemental "Wind" fairy. She is wearing a purple gown, blue wings and one of her feet is in the air and the other is barely touching the ground. It looks like she is looking off in the distance to the blue sky longing to fly like the wind. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 pm
Here's my pirate from this year!

User Image

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just came back from going to the 2015 Michigan Renaissance Festival. We had a great time eating period food, seeing people dressed up in period outfits. buying souvenirs at many of the artists shops. and checking out a wide variety of period shows including a Joust event!!

If you have a chance I highly recommend going to this festival. Here is a link to the Website Michigan Renaissance Festival. I'm curious has anyone else ever gone to this festival or to similar ones in other states. Tell us your stories. Another question. Do you consider people who dress up in period outfits to be cosplayers. If so why. Comic Con characters have been called cosplayers. I think that eventually Renaissance period characters will also be called cosplayers.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:40 pm
There's a few Ren. Festivals in New York I believe, and it's definitely on my bucket list to attend one in costume. I'd want to dress as a faun, or a fairy or something. I don't really have the money for gas or other expenses though unfortunately, as well as finding people to go and walk around with : /
It'll happen one day though!

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:05 am
nerdiepi
There's a few Ren. Festivals in New York I believe, and it's definitely on my bucket list to attend one in costume. I'd want to dress as a faun, or a fairy or something. I don't really have the money for gas or other expenses though unfortunately, as well as finding people to go and walk around with : /
It'll happen one day though!

Hi Quinn,

At the Michigan Ren Fest a lot of women and girls dress up as Fairy's. Some of their outfits are really good and the actresses dressed up as Fairy's for some of the shows were awesome. Two of the shows Fairy's were in full character and they were either charming or mischievous. They had striped knee socks, midriff tops, flower head dress, and cute short skirts. The main colors were blue and violet.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:08 pm
I've actually worn my Merida dress to an SCA event. My boyfriend's sister is a member and she is going to help me make some official garb to wear instead of my cosplay.  

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:20 am
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf
I've actually worn my Merida dress to an SCA event. My boyfriend's sister is a member and she is going to help me make some official garb to wear instead of my cosplay.

Zippo, did you get any reactions to wearing your Merida dress to the SCA event? At the Michigan Ren Fest their are a few shops where you can either buy parts of or entire period outfits. Making something would be cool. If you do feel free to post some photos on this thread. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:46 pm
smithers456
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

Zippo, did you get any reactions to wearing your Merida dress to the SCA event? At the Michigan Ren Fest their are a few shops where you can either buy parts of or entire period outfits. Making something would be cool. If you do feel free to post some photos on this thread. smile

I got lots of complements on it. I didn't know it was very close to historically accurate. It may not be for a while but I sure will post my new garb here  

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:04 pm
I go to my local Ren faire every so often.

There is also a Pirate Fest that I have yet to go to.  
Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games