Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Just coming out to say...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slothimus Prima

Aged Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 pm
....I am not just a supporter of LGBT rights but part take in the fight as well.

i have finally understood my issues with relationships. For years i always thought i was weird for not being like others either swooning over good looking guys or admiring good looking ladies. i've dated guys, but there was nothing there, i didn't feel the urge to dance in the sheets with them as i apparently should according to the "norm". Even had a gay co-worker think something was wrong with me when i didn't think a male customer was hot...apparently he was according to other female co-workers.

Though it is not as well known or much talked about but i have finally come to terms that i am Asexual, meaning i have no sexual interest with either same gender or opposite gender.

No i do not reproduce via mitosis....i'm not Dr. Sheldon Cooper. Long story short basically it's perpetual Friendzone. and i'm okay with that.

That all said i proudly fly the black, grey, white and purple flag of Asexual Pride. Coincidentally that is my favorite colour scheme for just about everything.

just wish friends and family would stop saying "oh you're just saying that, you'll find the right person" neutral

just thought this would be a good place to get this off my chest figured you all would get where i'm coming from.
User Image

in honour of talk like a pirate day sept 19th
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47 pm
Rock on, ace.

For a while, I thought I was asexual, too. Now, I just tell people I'm queer because hey--my sexuality is a bit complicated to explain, not without using words some people aren't used to hearing (polyromantic demisexual, anyone?). Asexuality is still very misunderstood, and it does pain me when people--especially in the LGBTQA community--are quick to refuse an asexual's sexuality as a thing that's very real, or like it's some kind of offense or threat to their own sexuality. Seriously.

I think what upset me the most is when I watched a sex columnist say (I paraphrase), asexuals should stick to their own kind, and dating people of other sexualities was abusive. It made me sick; sick because there are many people who date asexuals, who are not asexuals themselves, who are deeply in love and accepting of their partners' orientation. It's a compromise that some people are willing to make, and that should be their own business. What I find offensive and abusive is the erasure, corrective rape, and harassment that threatens many asexuals, not just other orientations. Because asexuality isn't the "norm," people feel the need to correct it through abuse, be it verbal, emotional, or physical abuse. It's not uncommon for many asexuals to feel manipulated into having sex because their partner made them feel guilty for never putting out, or threatened them in one way or another.

This columnist did have an interesting argument, though. He said that asexuals, if they are to date someone of a different sexuality, their asexuality should be disclosed because many people DO have sexual expectations during dating and relationships. That maybe by not disclosing that one is asexual, one may be giving false impressions because of the "norm"--that everyone wants to have sex sooner or later in life.

I'm a bit conflicted about it, though. While I see his point, I think he's being a bit apathetic towards the asexual community. They're humans, and their sexuality is just as intimate of a part of who they are as it is for anyone else, despite norms. What, are asexuals suppose to walk around with sleeve bands on, or with asexual business cards? Yes, I'm going there, lol. Thing is, the situation is a bit more difficult than the argument he gave, I think.

And how about me? Being demisexual, people think I'm practicing abstinence, or some kind of celibacy, too. They think I'm being all "noble"; either that, or I get accused of trying to be a special snowflake. Should I walk around with something that tells people about my sexuality, too? That I literally feel no sexual attraction for strangers and acquaintances no matter how aesthetically pleasing they are? Just can't help it. That isn't abstinence, people--I'm not trying to fight against any kind of urges until I'm married or whatever. Hell, I'm not even waiting for a committed relationship, lol. Though that would be nice.

But I digress. I'm very supportive of asexuals and their right to be who they are. Feel free to send me a friend request, and I'm more than happy to talk about anything ace! That goes for any other aces who see this awesome thread.  

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

Slothimus Prima

Aged Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm
Well said,

yes it's rather sad how Asexuals are misunderstood like that. i have a friend who came out Asexual after a long time of soul searching and being treated poorly from her parents because of her orientation, wondering just what was wrong with her, she is currently dating a wonderful gal who supports her. now that i finally understand who i am i can support her even more than as a friend that understand as i now see things from her point of view.

everyone seems so hung up that love is all about the s*x.

Instead of the physical side of relationships Asexuals prefer the emotional side, being with their partner for their heart not for whats beneath the sheets. Though Asexuals won't completely say 'no to s*x', we just don't have that primal urge for it.

And if Asexuals can't be apart of the Pride march or have the same need to be understood, then why is it that the Purple stripe on the pride flag represents Asexuality?

we're Asexy and proud of it.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff