Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
My (sort of) coming out story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ghost Wolf15

Dapper Werewolf

6,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:21 pm
blaugh So a little backround on myself. I'm currently 17 and in my senior year in highschool. I've have know I had at least like girls since I was 13. So when I saw 15, I had told a few close friends about my feeling and they totally didn't care as long as I was still "me." I had thought long and hard about one family member I was willing to tell and I had concluded my older sister. We were never "close" since she is 13 years older, but I trusted her more than anyone. So I texted her on my way home from school. That night she came over and we spent an hour talking, and not a good kind of talk. Long story short I was crying most of the time. She told me if I didn't tell my mom by the end of the week, she would. Then she left.
The way I had planned on telling my mother was right before I left the house for college I would be like, "Hey I like girls...peace out!" And leave. So of course i was basicly having a panic attack. My mom saw me crying and sort of wiggled it out of me that night. When I finally told her I was crying and shaking so bad.
She called it a phase. Which told me she didn't accpet what I was saying. She even compared me to my sister, who aparently went through the same "phase." I was so sad that she didn't take it seriously, but thanks to my friends who make jokes about it to make me forget it. My mother avoids anything to do with lesbians or gays, which I'm fine with. She'll have to accpet it when I show up with a girl one holiday.
So there's my story. I still think about it all the time, but it won't stop me from loving the people I love. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 pm
I'm sorry that happened to you. I have a half sister who wasn't very accepting of my sexuality, either. (I was around eighteen and came out as bisexual through MySpace [which I ended up taking back after a few years due to fear and religious beliefs. I just came back out recently]. She flipped out, but I was more angry over the fact that she HAS gay friends herself. Her best friend is gay. I guess when other people are gay, it's fine--but family? I guess that's unacceptable. Hypocrite.)

But I am glad you're not letting it get you down too much. You can't help who you love, and anyone who wants to dictate to you why you are they way you are without the willingness to truly understand is a presumptuous and ignorant person. Perhaps one day, they'll transcend that attitude. And if they don't that is only a loss on their part.

I hope the best for you. smile  

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 am
My mum had the same reaction - thankfully she's now accepted that my same sex partner for almost 8 years isn't going anywhere...

Good luck, keep your chin up, and remember - you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends. Sounds like you've made some smart choices 3nodding best of luck to you!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm
Sea Thrift

Thank you so much for the support! I understand the family thing and I tend to just avoid it around them now. I know my mother will come around when I bring my girlfrind home. smile

Quote:
=I AM R U
Thats great about you're situation! My friends are totally understanding and they really don't care, but will defend me when needed.  

Ghost Wolf15

Dapper Werewolf

6,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items