Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Pretend "Gay" behavior

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 pm
Its pretty common for me to see this situation:
Two boys pretend to act gay through loud inappropriate comments and gestures. Meanwhile everyone around them acts grossed out and shouts comments like "f*****t!" or "eww!"
You know what i am getting at?
Its kidding around of course, but could this behavior be considered anti-gay or homophobic? I know it seems strange, acting gay in a homophobic way, but it seems kind of cruel to me.
Personally, I would classify this as anti-gay behavior, but what are your inputs?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:40 pm
I've never actually experienced this.

I've seen two guys mock gay men and pretend to act interested in one another and so on but I've never heard anyone make negative comments to them, since it's pretty obvious they're acting.

As well, the people I tend to surround myself with are anything but homophobic and are fairly considerate. With that said, I do often see younger kids, high schoolers and middle schoolers, "fake gay" if you will and tease one another.

/shrug/

I think that yes, it's indirectly anti-gay. It's done with the intention of making light of or making a joke out of homosexuality. I don't think it's homophobic exactly, since any real homophobe avoids all examples of homosexuality, real or fake.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 pm
depends on the situation. my friend and I joke around about being a couple sometimes, but I would call her anti gay for it. if its meant to get that ew gross reaction then yes, I would say its kind of homophobic, its its just meant as a bit of fun then I don't see anything wrong with it  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:47 pm
Agreed, I am sure that not all the instances are necessarily homophobic, unless one acts out of fear. And the negative comments of course are those made by friends of the "actors" in a joking, but disturbed way, if you know what I mean. like more of a "haha, f*****t" way. Thanks for your input
Der Fluch des Pharao
I've never actually experienced this.

I've seen two guys mock gay men and pretend to act interested in one another and so on but I've never heard anyone make negative comments to them, since it's pretty obvious they're acting.

As well, the people I tend to surround myself with are anything but homophobic and are fairly considerate. With that said, I do often see younger kids, high schoolers and middle schoolers, "fake gay" if you will and tease one another.

/shrug/

I think that yes, it's indirectly anti-gay. It's done with the intention of making light of or making a joke out of homosexuality. I don't think it's homophobic exactly, since any real homophobe avoids all examples of homosexuality, real or fake.

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:49 pm
Yea, I am having a hard time defining the line between it not being meant in a negative way and it being slightly anti-gay in its humor.
Shanna66
depends on the situation. my friend and I joke around about being a couple sometimes, but I would call her anti gay for it. if its meant to get that ew gross reaction then yes, I would say its kind of homophobic, its its just meant as a bit of fun then I don't see anything wrong with it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 pm
I was at a party and a straight guy started acting gay. Not knowing he was actually straight, I started flirting with him. He freaked out, I laughed and he never did it again. rofl  

Darkest Hollow

Lonely Rogue

7,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Trick or Treat 100

Raeiko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm
yes I hate that  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:17 am
I find it an annoyance for the most part. It feels like they are trying to undermine everything that we're fighting for.  

Jisatsu_no_Tenshi

Man-Hungry Sex Symbol

8,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm
... Is doing the stereotypical gay voice homophobic too? I kinda do that sometimes, but I don't mean it in a derogatory way. Mostly when I'm joking about fashion or some other stereotypical interest of a gay male.

If it's inappropriate, I'll stop. Whenever I find out I accidentally did/said something offensive, I feel really bad about it. >_<  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:16 pm
Yeah I'm not a big fan of those kind of "jokes"  

Alice Allusion

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200

xXx-DarkVain-xXx

Distinct Vampire

15,650 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 pm
I think it depends on the person. rolleyes
Some people just like to joke around about being gay, when they aren't gay themselves, but they don't have any hate against it or anything.

I know my best friend and I have joked several times about being together, and we're both the same gender, and we both have nothing against anybody, we just like to joke around with each other since we both know we will never ACTUALLY be together. xD

I actually asked as a serious question once, just out of general curiosity, and the answer was "You're not my type" rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 pm
But I will say, that it CAN be done in a hurtful way, and when it is, then it's bad.

But NOT ALL jokes are bad like that.
It REALLY all depends.  

xXx-DarkVain-xXx

Distinct Vampire

15,650 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Full closet 200

xXx-DarkVain-xXx

Distinct Vampire

15,650 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm
Symptom_of_Society
Yea, I am having a hard time defining the line between it not being meant in a negative way and it being slightly anti-gay in its humor.
Shanna66

Well, consider this, what if two people, who were both a man and a woman, knew they were NEVER going to hook up, joked around to each other about being together. That wouldn't be anti-hetero, would it? I mean, not even INDIRECTLY rofl

Specially if they were hetero themselves.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games