Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[PF] [Interest Check] The Temple's Final Hours

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:02 pm
Gentle sobbing, whispered prayers, and hushed conversations can barely be heard above the loud, and constant thump, thump, thump as the temple's stone doors are battered by the beasts outside. The scent of blood and death lingers, wafting in from the outside, leaving fear, worry, and lots of tension in the air. The city had been attacked only hours ago and the beasts overran the city walls and crushed its' defense in the first two. Now the city was theirs and the temple you find yourself in is the last refuge and place of safety for terrified survivors. At the rate things were progressing though, that would change soon.

"Captain... Please scour the temple. Check the dungeons below if you must. Our goddess has granted me the power to save us, but I need time," the priestess of the temple says as she rises from her position at the base of a statue dedicated to the temple's goddess, "Offer the captured a chance at redemption, the others a chance to be the heroes we need. Have only them up here, give them command of the finest warriors you have left."

The woman turns and moves down the steps that lead up to the statue, her long silk robes just barely dragging across the floor as she descends. Her green eyes are focused on the most decorated of the three men before her - the Captain of the Guard - one of the few who managed to make it through the fighting outside alive.

"I will be on the lower levels, along with everyone else who cannot, or will not fight. I must not be interrupted. When I have finished the spell we will all be whisked away to safety. And Captain... please be quick. I fear the walls will not hold for much longer."

The Captain nodded in response, the rattling of his armor and weapons filling the air as he retreated from the priestess to find people willing to, perhaps die, to save those in the temple.

"I will need you two with me, I cannot undertake this task alone. But first I ask that you move all those here down to the lower levels before you join me." she says to two who remain with her, also servants of the goddess. Both offer silent nods, and proceed with the task they've been given as the priestess heads toward the lower levels.

You are one of the scattered remnants of the city's population who has taken refuge in the temple, or perhaps you are in the temple's dungeons for crimes against the goddess, or a member of her temple. You rise to answer the Captain's request for aid, your reasons and motives for accepting this task your own.

Information
[PF] = Pathfinder. This game willl only use official Pathfinder content, no other resources.
[Interest Check] = I'm not entirely sure if there would be even enough interest for a short game, or if I'm entirely certain I'd be able to run it. But I'm going throw it out here and see anyway.

You are one of the dozens of people who have taken refuge in the temple, or someone who has been locked in the temple's dungeon for one reason or another (the goddess, who shall retain this generic name (;p), has her own set of laws which do not necessarily conform or agree with the laws of the city so people who go against the temple's law, but not the city's, needed somewhere to be held. Hence why a dungeon was built.

The temple has 3 levels, with the top floor being the one you will be tasked with defending. The temple isn't the only temple in the city or in a prominent location, it is simply one of the dozen or so buildings that remain due to it's construction (stone walls and doors are much harder to get into than wooden ones, after all).

This is intended as a short game, ending when everyone is dead or the spell is cast and everyone teleported away to safety. In the interest of not breaking the whole game, teleportation spells and effects will not be available.

I haven't fully decided on a starting level, but I'm leaning on 8. Alignments would be unrestricted, seeing as how it is a short game it could lead for some interesting RP mid-way through to the end. Everyone will be given command of 5 generic soldiers to help hold their section of the temple. That being said, of course, they won't follow any obviously stupid or suicidal orders without just reason (or a diplomacy check).

I'd be going with 3 to 4 people, so it'll be a bit of a small game too. Individual experience with the PF system doesn't matter to me. Stats will probably determined like I used to - the choice of PB or rolled; I haven't fully decided on values/what dice to use yet. Alternatively, I may end up going with 'everyone rolls' (.. since most everyone did roll when I did this before anyway).

I'll also put in a request for someone to Co-DM this with me; mostly, to post in my place if I don't post in a timely manner (a day or two), and to help give character sheets a once-over. I don't mind if you also intend to be a player, so long as you don't give yourself an unfair advantage.

That's about everything I have right now. Please let me know if you're interested/ask any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:28 pm
I'm interested.  

Vampfighter1
Crew

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:42 pm
I have to say this isn't an unexpected response. The game wouldn't be only fighting, if that is anyone's concerns. It'll start off with some RP, into heavy combat when you defend the doors, leading into a mix of RP/combat as you try to keep them from breeching the lower levels. The amount of time you spend defending the upper level relating to how long you need to protect the lower level. Of course, who says you can't RP in a fight too? xD. I think I'll be going for a more cinamatic flair to the fights over just straight up 'I swing my sword' and then 'they swing their swords.'

I think I'm certain the starting level will be 8; just because it seems a good level. Spon. casters get 4th level spells, it grants an ability boost, and is high enough that a few levels of a given PRC can be taken.

I think I'm going to settle on the choice of Pathfinder PB or Pathfinder Dice Pool (just to try it out). Not sure on the amounts yet, but 25 points or a 24d6 dice pool will be the likely sweet spot.

As mentioned, feel free to ask questions.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 pm
I am game  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Vampfighter1
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:55 pm
Captain Ragnar Devonin
I have to say this isn't an unexpected response. The game wouldn't be only fighting, if that is anyone's concerns. It'll start off with some RP, into heavy combat when you defend the doors, leading into a mix of RP/combat as you try to keep them from breeching the lower levels. The amount of time you spend defending the upper level relating to how long you need to protect the lower level. Of course, who says you can't RP in a fight too? xD. I think I'll be going for a more cinamatic flair to the fights over just straight up 'I swing my sword' and then 'they swing their swords.'

I think I'm certain the starting level will be 8; just because it seems a good level. Spon. casters get 4th level spells, it grants an ability boost, and is high enough that a few levels of a given PRC can be taken.

I think I'm going to settle on the choice of Pathfinder PB or Pathfinder Dice Pool (just to try it out). Not sure on the amounts yet, but 25 points or a 24d6 dice pool will be the likely sweet spot.

As mentioned, feel free to ask questions.

Depending on what you decide for the solitary game, I'm thinking of either playing a Goblin Gun Tank or a Kitsune Cleric  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:56 pm
sorry for double posting... but what are some of the laws that would get you thrown into the temple dungeon's over say the castle's dungeons?  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:21 pm
I'm up for it, I wanna recast Kraelin as an oracle heretic who had seen too much  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:21 am
Any sort of crime, really. Even a standard one, like murder (accidental or otherwise) - the temple could have taken custody of you over the city, or you could have chosen to confess your crime to the temple's priests and had them lock you up (perhaps hoping for a lighter sentence). At the same time, maybe you were delcaring their goddess a false deity and refusing to stop so they charged you and locked you away (which wouldn't necessarily be a law in the city). I left it vague deliberately to allow some creative freedom there. It could be a standard crime, or it could be something that is only a crime against the goddess (another example... perhaps casting arcane spells in the temple is seen as blasphemy?).

The goddess (and the temple) are, largely, irrelevant. It's more about the situation and the characters than anything.

If we can get one more interest I think I may give this a shot. If we don't by later today, I think I'll throw up the other idea I had... though maybe I will do that anyway, and run them both (eventually). Not at the same time, though...  

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 am
I wuv pathfinder and support this action.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:20 pm
I was trying to stay out of signing up for something else (the pathfinder games I keep signing up for kind of fizzle gonk ), but since you were gauging interest between this and the western game, I PERSONALLY like the idea of this one more.

For the record.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 am
In 2-3 days time, I'll be starting up either this game or the other one depending on interest. 2-3 days due in part to the fact that I think I'll be too busy to start a game during them.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games