Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
my lack of gay pride offends straight people Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:41 pm
My brother and I were just discussing this yesterday. : p

Neither of us can stand people obsessed with being gay. I mean surely there's something more to your sexuality. When half your life revolves around that I think you have a serious problem.

I don't have gay pride because I don't want to be accepted as a gay individual. I want to be accepted as a human. Just like straight people! People who obsess about being gay and all the terrible things that happen to gay people tend to annoy me because they're separating the GLBT community from everybody else. I'm especially irked when people tell me: "Hey stand up for yourself! You're gay and you need to embrace that! don't conform to society!" There's GLBT, and then there's everybody who's not GLBT. It's like a hen bickering at a bunch of chickens to accept them as hens, but I just want us all to be chickens! Nice fat chickens who have nothing better to do then cluck around an old-fashioned barn all day. Sure, gay people have it bad in some places and there's quite a few crimes. I wish it didn't happen and my heart goes out to those people. I'd be willing to donate some money to help them if something like that happens. When I get old and have a house I'd be willing to take a really unfortunate person in if that meant protecting him or her. But I'm not willing to go around telling everyone that I'm gay and parade it in the streets. To be entirely honest: I have better things to do than care about my sexuality. I wish we all did. O:  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:58 pm
If your gay and your proud of that you don't have to go flaunting it around of wear a "Im gay!" t-shirt. Just be happy with your self. I don't die my hair rainbow to show my gay pride, I dye my hair rainbow because I want to dye my hair rainbow.  

Yuki_no_Joo

Mr Czachura

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:23 pm
I saw this post and just had to drop some commentary.

I feel you shouldnt rip on the people who are showing that they have pride. Even if you feel its too much or that its unnecessary. They are just doing what they love and I don't believe its up to you to judge them like that. Its not right. Needles is right. None of you should be judging them because they are obsessed with it. I for one love being gay because I look around and not everyone knows what its like. I love it, but Im not going to hate anyone that doesnt love it as much as I do. Ive seen alot of hatred coming from the members in this guild. I never posted here before but after seeing this I feel that the members here, the ones spreading hate anyways, should take their own lives into retrospect before telling someone else how to live theirs

Shilberu

Since when is Pride the Same thing as arrogance? The two aren't related at all for that matter. I have pride for being gay just like you probably take pride in whatever it is that you do. Does that mean Im shoving my arrogance in your face? You may think Pride is over the top or over flamboyant or maybe even showboating. But for those who don't have a gateway, Pride Parades tell them that there are even celebrations for what they are. They aren't completely hated and arent monstrosities. I think maybe you should go see someone who isnt that fortunate, or wasnt as forunate as you are. Sorry if this seems disrespectful  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:34 pm
Whenever I think about the issues with having an interest in the same sex, I just like to think i'm only into guys, not really gay. I'd be the same person today if I were straight.  

Duct Tape Trap

3,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Lluvias

Mystical Fox

11,690 Points
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
  • Night Owl 100
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am
There was hatred for homosexuals before the pride thingies started. So if there's supposedly "more hate" being spread because of parades and such, they were probably already haters to begin with. I don't think the parades and stuff in particular are really meant to change the thoughts of haters, exactly, either.. it's more of a "get together" saying, "Yeah I'm gay/bi/etc. - this is part of who I am and I am going to celebrate that with those who understand what I'm getting at" and for the straight supporters, "Yeah my friends are gay - and it's a part of them that I love and support, so let's get together and have some fun with like-minded people." I mean, isn't it similar to Star Trek conventions? xD They're not gathering to try to persuade Star Trek haters that Star Trek is the coolest s**t on the planet and trying to convert people while rubbing their Star Trekkieness in people's faces - they're getting together with people like them to have a good time and just to act on one of the many parts of themselves. Being around souls that understand something that they like or something that they are because not everyone outside of that understands them. ..I'm tired, but I think I got my point of view across. xD Maybe..

Ravynne Vanir

I feel you shouldnt rip on the people who are showing that they have pride. Even if you feel its too much or that its unnecessary. They are just doing what they love and I don't believe its up to you to judge them like that. Its not right. Needles is right. None of you should be judging them because they are obsessed with it. I for one love being gay because I look around and not everyone knows what its like. I love it, but Im not going to hate anyone that doesnt love it as much as I do. Ive seen alot of hatred coming from the members in this guild. I never posted here before but after seeing this I feel that the members here, the ones spreading hate anyways, should take their own lives into retrospect before telling someone else how to live theirs

Shilberu

Since when is Pride the Same thing as arrogance? The two aren't related at all for that matter. I have pride for being gay just like you probably take pride in whatever it is that you do. Does that mean Im shoving my arrogance in your face? You may think Pride is over the top or over flamboyant or maybe even showboating. But for those who don't have a gateway, Pride Parades tell them that there are even celebrations for what they are. They aren't completely hated and arent monstrosities. I think maybe you should go see someone who isnt that fortunate, or wasnt as forunate as you are. Sorry if this seems disrespectful

I would tip this if it were tip-able. > 3> *gives an imaginary tip, regardless*  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 am
Ravynne Vanir

Shilberu

i have no problem is someone else has alot of gay pride, i just dont like being told that i need to have gay pride, its just not for me.

i really didnt mean for this thread to turn into such a debate about pride sweatdrop  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

SkyCore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:59 am
I am a gay man, and I am proud off that. But I dont feel the need to shove that in everyone's face. I'm not the flamboyant type so I can easily pass for a straight individual. Its actually quite amusing some of the reactions ive gotten when people realize im gay. I dont hide who I am, but Im not broadcasting it either.

I'm gay, but thats not how I define myself. if anything I would first define myself as a Geek, that just so happens to like the boys.

even still, its funny how straight people grab hold of that gay label and seem to think thats the entirety of our identity.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 am
PrismCity
I am a gay man, and I am proud off that. But I dont feel the need to shove that in everyone's face. I'm not the flamboyant type so I can easily pass for a straight individual. Its actually quite amusing some of the reactions ive gotten when people realize im gay. I dont hide who I am, but Im not broadcasting it either.

I'm gay, but thats not how I define myself. if anything I would first define myself as a Geek, that just so happens to like the boys.

even still, its funny how straight people grab hold of that gay label and seem to think thats the entirety of our identity.

yeah, even when they have good intentions i still find it a bit offensive that someone would want to be my friend just because of my orientation. i love seeing glbt support but some people need to remind themselves that under all those labels there is a person under there with likes and dislikes  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

SkyCore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:47 pm
Shanna66
yeah, even when they have good intentions i still find it a bit offensive that someone would want to be my friend just because of my orientation. i love seeing glbt support but some people need to remind themselves that under all those labels there is a person under there with likes and dislikes

lol you just reminded me of a funny story...

Before I came out completely I had a bit of a test run. I started a new job, it was a good drive from my house and I didnt know anyone from that side of town. So i figured I would give being open a try and if things go bad i could quit the job and the likely hood of anyone I knew finding out was minimal.

Anyway we are standing around talking at the end of the night waiting for closing time and Erin and Ed are debating the whole, "should the man pay for dinner" thing, when Erin turns to me and asks if I would pay for her if we went out to which i had to say, Sorry sister but no, I dont date women so you are picking up your own tab razz

The manager walks in on the coversation not catching the whole thing and just kinda stares at me dumbfounded for a moment so i took pity on her and just flat out said it, I'm Gay...

Her response to this was: "Oh really? I had no idea... you know, I need someone to go Dancing with sometime" or something along those lines.

The point is she finds out I'm gay and the first thing out of her mouth is 'Do you want to be my gay friend so I have someone to go dancing with?'

Are you kidding me? Did i miss the memo that says I'm required to be some dumb blondes dancing buddy? is that all gay guys are good for?

first of all I dont like dancing. I dont like clubs or bars. I dont like loud crowded rooms full of people i dont know... and not once before this has she ever expressed any desire to hang out with me, but because Im gay suddenly we just have to go dancing?

WTF?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:39 am
PrismCity
Shanna66

lol you just reminded me of a funny story...

Before I came out completely I had a bit of a test run. I started a new job, it was a good drive from my house and I didnt know anyone from that side of town. So i figured I would give being open a try and if things go bad i could quit the job and the likely hood of anyone I knew finding out was minimal.

Anyway we are standing around talking at the end of the night waiting for closing time and Erin and Ed are debating the whole, "should the man pay for dinner" thing, when Erin turns to me and asks if I would pay for her if we went out to which i had to say, Sorry sister but no, I dont date women so you are picking up your own tab razz

The manager walks in on the coversation not catching the whole thing and just kinda stares at me dumbfounded for a moment so i took pity on her and just flat out said it, I'm Gay...

Her response to this was: "Oh really? I had no idea... you know, I need someone to go Dancing with sometime" or something along those lines.

The point is she finds out I'm gay and the first thing out of her mouth is 'Do you want to be my gay friend so I have someone to go dancing with?'

Are you kidding me? Did i miss the memo that says I'm required to be some dumb blondes dancing buddy? is that all gay guys are good for?

first of all I dont like dancing. I dont like clubs or bars. I dont like loud crowded rooms full of people i dont know... and not once before this has she ever expressed any desire to hang out with me, but because Im gay suddenly we just have to go dancing?

WTF?

lol, dang women are too desperate to find a gay best friend to do girl stuff with XD im pretty sure gay is not a personality trait lol  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Subtle Rain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 am
Shilberu Erikku
I think LGBT pride parades are a step back and not a step forward for the gay community. It segregates us, stereotypes us, and to me it makes us a laughing stock. Even I find it funny and degrading. Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you have to make a spectacle of yourself or your sexual orientation.

I couldn't agree more.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:59 pm
Shilberu Erikku
I think LGBT pride parades are a step back and not a step forward for the gay community. It segregates us, stereotypes us, and to me it makes us a laughing stock. Even I find it funny and degrading. Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you have to make a spectacle of yourself or your sexual orientation.

I totally agree. I always hear about the parade days and think of how stupid it is. Honestly I just always thought it was people wanting attention.

XD Though I don't like parades anyway cuz I'm a bit claustrophobic.  

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items